Author Topic: **SOLVED** Vixen Ether-Dongle plugin for 2.1.1 in wiki  (Read 7066 times)

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
I have been trying to run a test sequence in Vixen 2.1.1.0 and have been unsuccessful in having the smart pixels come online.  I notice that the ED is blinking like crazy when I have a chase over a couple of channels, but I am still unable to get the lights to blink.  I have the Etherdongle plugin V2 in my plugin output folder and I have it checked in my profile.  I notice that I cannot access the plugin setup button.  I have tried this on Vixen 2.1 and Vixen 2.1.1.0 and I get the same result.  If I use the program utility that RJ created I have no problem getting the white blinking lights after a successful program so I know it has to be a software issue. 

Is there .net framework that I need to download to get this up and running perhaps?  I am on .net 2 for Vixen 2.1 as that is what is required to run it for this version.  Does anyone know if RJ used version 3 or 4 .net for the plugin DLL?

Please help me as this has been driving me nuts for the last two nights.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, by Penfold »
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Vixen Ether-Dongle plugin for 2.1.1 in wiki
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, »
If your plug in was the problem the etd would not be reciecving the data which it sounds as it is. I am thinking it is an ssc address/universe mismatch issue. The framework is the same on the utility as the plugin so your good.

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, »
Both of my jumpers (shunts) are set on #1 on both Pixelnet and DMX universe.  I used Firefox version 9 to download the driver but I am using Version 13.  I saw other posts having problems using Firefox.  I have downloaded the driver using IE and I will see if that helps anything. 

I will research the SSC address / Universe addressing and see what that yields.
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, »
If it's an SSC/Universe mismatch how do I remedy that situation.  I am not running DMX on my show, just Pixelnet.  If that is the case should I enter the IP address as 239.255.0.1?

Right now I have the address set at 192.168.1.1

♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, »
What plugin are you using?

RJ's Lynx EtherDongle plugin does not even give you the option to enter in the ip address

Just the start and end channels

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, »
I have RJ's lynx etherdongle dll file in output plugin folder.  The IP I was talking about was the one that you change manually under Network connections.  From what you are describing Rick it seems that I don't have to worry about the IP address for RJ's Etherdongle Plugin.  I do see the start and end channels and there is a button below that that states plugin setup that I can't seem to click on.  Am I supposed to be able to click on that?
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Vixen Ether-Dongle plugin for 2.1.1 in wiki
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, »
That setup button doesn't do anything. I was just confused when you started talking about an IP address

Rick R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, »
I am out of ideas.  Last night I spent about an hour tinkering around with the Vixen extras (Diagnostic, RGB Lighting) which yeilded absolutely nothing. 

If there is an SSC/address mismatch conflict how can I go about resolving it?
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, »
If you want to try something else that is pretty stupid simple to use

then You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
download the zip file and then run the setup program in it. When the program starts up it will ask for channels. This is the total number of channels that you want to send. Note: it is still in beta testing but it should work for everyone.

Or use xLights which you will have to enter each e1.31 universe but it does have a lot more function to it.

To be honest if Vixen is not working for you then it has to be a setup issue. If you can some screen shots might help.

Rick R.

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, »
Ask and ye shall receive!

Here is a Video of my setup.  Please let me know if there is any more information that you need.

I am aware that the channel count in Vixen should have been 96, but I don't think that should have made a big difference as I will worry about proper channel count when I am doing my legit sequencing.

P.S.  I thought it was cool that Youtube saved the URL with an "FAQ" at the end.  Talk about ironic.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, by Penfold »
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, »
I can't comment on Vixen since I don't use that program.

When you connect you PC to the etherdongle, I've always set it to DHCP rather than setting a static IP address.
Have you tried setting it to obtain an IP Address automatically (DHCP)?

I'm also assuming you must be connecting directly to the Ether dongle, rather than going though a router.

I in-fact connect through a router so it connects like this:

PC-> Router->Etherdongle->Smart string Hub-> Smart String Controller-> Lights
Have you tried connecting through a router?

Also, do you have any anti-virus, anti-malware S/W turned on?

If so, try turning it off

Also, I can't quite see in the video how many LEDs you have connected, but when you program the LED modules you are setting it to 36 Nodes.

Each node is 3 LED channels, so in fact you are setting the SSC to 2x36 nodes =  108 channels (although I don't think that's the issue)

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, »
Hello PeteandVanessa,

I do have my dongle connected directly to the PC with a crossover cable.  I will try the DHCP tonight to see what that yields.  Thanks for your suggestion.  If that doesn't work I will see if I can't get a router.  This PC is just a work horse dedicated to making the blinky flashy.

I also do not have the firewalls up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, by Penfold »
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, »
I don't think it's this, but do you have a wireless connection in the show computer?

If you do, disable the wireless connection. I've had issues when both wired and wireless were active.

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, »
Nope I sure don't have wireless capabilities (apart from my laptop)

Can you recommend and fairly inexpensive and efficient router?
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, »
I went home during lunch and I was able to get an automatic IP address, but it did not give me a gateway.  I guess that is where the router would come into place?
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪