Author Topic: **SOLVED** Vixen Ether-Dongle plugin for 2.1.1 in wiki  (Read 7069 times)

Offline peteandvanessa

Re: Vixen Ether-Dongle plugin for 2.1.1 in wiki
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I went home during lunch and I was able to get an automatic IP address, but it did not give me a gateway.  I guess that is where the router would come into place?

When I connect mine to the router, it assigns a dynamic IP address for my Laptop, since my router default IP address is 192.168.1.1, usually the Laptop will be assigned an address something like:

192.168.1.120 or something for the Laptop's IP address

The Gateway address will be 192.168.1.1 since the router is the Gateway out to the broader internet. Now I don't actually have the router connected to the internet,  so I don't get internet access from my Laptop when running the lighting tests.

Now I did have to log-into my Router and access the security setting to allow the Router to pass Multi-cast traffic (*Note not all Router will pass Multi-cast traffic) to get mine to work.
Another thing to check, you don't happen to have two NICs in your PC do you?

If you do, you will need to dis-able one of them and just use one of the NICs

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, »
No, this desktop only has one NIC and it also has two serial ports (For my Renard boards).  I will try to set the gateway as mentioned above.  The desktop did designate an IP for itself and subnet as mentioned but the gateway was the address I was missing.  I will try to find a multicast router and see what's going to happen.
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, »
Nope I sure don't have wireless capabilities (apart from my laptop)

Can you recommend and fairly inexpensive and efficient router?

I'm using a cheap and cheerful Linksys router (can't remember which one)

However, I'd assume you could go buy any of the modern home routers that supports Multicast (I'm assuming most support Multicasting nowadays)

Offline caretaker

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, »
Nope I sure don't have wireless capabilities (apart from my laptop)

Can you recommend and fairly inexpensive and efficient router?

I'm using a cheap and cheerful Linksys router (can't remember which one)

However, I'd assume you could go buy any of the modern home routers that supports Multicast (I'm assuming most support Multicasting nowadays)
You know what they say about assuming... Actually a lot of routers DON'T support mulitcast. I have an older NetGear that does but my newer one doesn't.  You should be able to find one for under $50 that does, just check NewEgg, Tiger Direct or your favorite computer supply store.
Jeff Squires

Offline injury

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, »
Think I'm having the same issue as the OP.

Can program with the SSC utility, can use the color picker slider app just fine, but tossing some stuff in vixen and I get nothing. I have the etherdongle plugin selected on the sequence as well like penfold shows in his video.

Perhaps it's some funky vixen setting a newer guy like me may have overlooked?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, »
I would put at least a full pixelnet universe of 4096 channels and see if that helps

or greater than 1024 channels

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, »
if he can program a ssc via the etherdongle then he does not have a communications problem.  It has to be a output setup problem in vixen

Myk

Offline injury

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, »
You da man Rick at least for my similar issue to the OP.

Was able to do some tests now that I'm back from dinner.

If I create a sequence with 1024 channels Vixen worked as expected, if I created one with 4096 it worked as well.

On a side note, I tried expanding another show after the above successful tests. They didn't work til I realized I had to also to remember to add the expanded channel count to the etherdongle plugin.

So I guess an assumption to make is the etherdongle plugin grabs in something like a multiple of 1024 channels or ignores?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, »
interesting, Thought we fixed this once?

Is it possible the wiki has one before this fix. Anyone that was involved remember and can help me by pointing it out to me?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline injury

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, »
if it helps RJ I had redownloaded it from the wiki today, details tab of the DLL lists the version as 1.0.0.0 and size 28.0KB

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, »
I went to Wally Mart over the weekend and bought a netgear N300 ($40).  Although it didn't say multicast, or any of the routers I looked at said nothing about multicast, I bought it as it said it could be used with multiple gaming computers or something to that effect.  I hooked it up and I was able to get an auto configure for the DHCP.

Still I am unable to get the SSC to blink in Vixen.  What I did notice this time however was when I programed the SSC first and went into Vixen I got the following message:

at.System.Version..ctor (String Version)
at.AppUpdate.Migration..ctor (String Migration Line)
at.AppUpdate.AppUpdate.DoMigration()2

Version String portion was too short or too long

The update will not continue.

Does this mean I have to hook this computer up to the internet so I can get an update or is this possibly the channel issue (not putting in 4096channels)?
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, »
I went to Wally Mart over the weekend and bought a netgear N300 ($40).  Although it didn't say multicast, or any of the routers I looked at said nothing about multicast, I bought it as it said it could be used with multiple gaming computers or something to that effect.  I hooked it up and I was able to get an auto configure for the DHCP.

Still I am unable to get the SSC to blink in Vixen.  What I did notice this time however was when I programed the SSC first and went into Vixen I got the following message:

at.System.Version..ctor (String Version)
at.AppUpdate.Migration..ctor (String Migration Line)
at.AppUpdate.AppUpdate.DoMigration()2

Version String portion was too short or too long

The update will not continue.

Does this mean I have to hook this computer up to the internet so I can get an update or is this possibly the channel issue (not putting in 4096channels)?

I think that error is Vixen trying to find/update itself through the internet.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, »
Finally got it!!  It was a user error in the setup on the plugin in Vixen.  I moved the channel count from 1 to 1024 just to see what would happen and it worked!! 

I was so used to the Renard system being a little more forgiving in allowing you to put whatever darned channel interval you wanted.  Now that I know how this deal works I will be a little more careful in the future during setup.   

I believe I killed a fuse yesterday in my excitement, because I now have one port that doesn't send power over to the lights.  That is more then likely a fuse issue.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!

Thanks go out to RJ, Rick, PeteandVanessa, Caretaker, and everyone else that gave me input and tried to help me.  Thank you all very much!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, by Penfold »
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline peteandvanessa

Glad to see it's all working.