Author Topic: Help! No DMX In  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Dholley

Help! No DMX In
« on: July 21, 2012, »
I read dmorey's post but I did not see a fix. I built a new LE Version 5. The self test works fine but I can't get a signal from Vixen. I tested my dongle with a LE  Version 4 and it works fine, same  vixen program, same test.

The date link led lights up when I have the cat 5 cable plugged in, the  terminate jumper is on and wireless jumper in on (I am not wireless). Does the dongle work the same for thr LE 4 and LE 5?. I am using the dongle firmware version2.

I see the DMX Led on the board but I don't know when  or how it suppose to be on?

All the channel LED's light up on self test.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Offline Dholley

Re: Help! No DMX In
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, »
And yes I programmed the chip. :)

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
RE: Help! No DMX In
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, »
Is your wireless jumper set or not?  Does the green data light flash when sending a signal?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Offline Dholley

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, »
the wirless jumper is on. I am not wireless.

Offline jess_her

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, »
If you have a Digital volt meter, pin 17 (signal) of the PIC to pin 27 (gnd) of the PIC   3VDC  with a dmx signal to the express.    Same pins  no dmx signal to the express   5VDC 
( 110V warnning   around the RED heat sink  it hurts)
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, »
Make sure when you power up your express it sayd 60hz and not 50hz for me.

then if it says 60 hz plug you dmx cable into the dmx out port. See if it works for me.

Let us know.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, »
We do not yet have confirmation on a fix for dmorey... we have a smoking gun.
dmorey was missing the jumper for wired operation -- yet dmorey did not have the wireless EX/RX option installed.

If your picture and response are accurate, then you have something else happening.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, »
This is a bad solder, looks like there might be a connection between the 2 pin.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Dholley

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, »
to Jess_her; I measured 4.9 without DMX and 1.5 with DMX

to RJ; As best I can tell it says 50 Hz

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, »
If it says 50hz and you are in the U.S. this is our issue. It should be 60hz and it will fail to 50hz if there is something wrong on the ZC circuit. 

run the test using the menu and see if you get a ZC led channel #2 led on at the end of the test. If not then look for a problem on the little six pin chip on the left bottom of the board under the transformer. Look for it to be backwards or not plugged in well or bent pin ...

then make sure you three resistors near it 2 - 15k and one 2k are solder well. Do all of this with it unplugged as there is high voltage in that area.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, »
Also make sure you have the correct chip in there. It should not be the same as the 16 along the bottom. It is a different part number and if swapped will cause this problem.

RJ

Offline jess_her

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, »
I blew the picture up I think your right RJ  It has the moc3032  in the H11AA1 socket
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline Dholley

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, »
Correct I had the wrong chipped installed, My mistake. It is working correctly now. Thank you for your assistance.

I have one more question please advise if I need to make another post. I have completed two new LE 5 so far, the second works propertly except for the data LED stays on even when there is no cat 5 cable connected, if I remove the wireless jumper then data led goes off. Please advise if this something simple or if I need to post pictures of this board also.

And thank you again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Danny

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, »
I believe that is an issue with the RS485 chip itself.  Some of them will light the LED even when there is no incoming signal.  An easy test is to move the chip to a different board.  If the problem follows the chip then it's obviously the chip that's the problem.  In most cases this does not affect the intended operation of the chip and the board works just fineso if the board is working normally, I wouldn't worry about i.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, »
It looks like there is missing solder in the center leg of the circled triac also, unless the picture is wrong.