Author Topic: SSR v3 PCBs  (Read 7900 times)

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
SSR v3 PCBs
« on: July 23, 2012, »
Wondering about the new SSR v3 PCBs that are in the store right now.  Looking in the Wiki, the Mouser parts list shows for the v2 model and not the v3.  Is this still applicable or is there a new parts list coming out to satisfy the v3 PCBs?

Thanks in advance,
- Mark

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: SSR v3 PCBs
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, »
I built the beta of the SSR4 and promised Rick and RJ I would update the Wiki; I forgot I made that promise.

You should see the Wiki updated in the next few days.

Thanks.

\dmc

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, »
The mouser bom for the SSR4 shows v2 but its really parts for the v3 pcb

The only changes are the transformer and the voltage regulator.

So if you have the ssr4 v3 pcb then you can go ahead and use the mouser link

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, »
Awesome - Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!!
- Mark

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, »
I have 5 SSR4 v2 boards .... was planning on building them soon.

So this thread was very helpful to find, as I had bought two legacy SSR4 v2 (Blue) transformers and then bought 3 more on mouser SSR4 BOM thinking it was for the v2, but it was for the new v3 (just labeled as v2 on mouser bom).  I notice now that the legs on the new v3 transformers are in a different pattern on the new v3 transformers.

This is when I started to scratch my head and get a little concerned.

So I have 3 of the (v3?) transformers which do not fit my SSR4 v2 boards.  If I buy the ssr V3 boards, they will fit the new transformers, correct? 

Also, the picture in the store of the ssr v3 board appears to be a v2 board ? ... because the transformer pins looks like the old not the new.  This is all very confusing.

So what is shown in the store:
picture of ssr4 v3 board -----(is actually)-----> a ssr4 v2 board ? 

And what is listed under the wiki BOM for the SSR4 [ doesn't mentioned v2 or v3 ]  -----(is actually)-----> the SSR4 v3 BOM, but just mislabled as v2 on mouser still ?

So there is also a mention of the voltage regulator changing for the v3 ... so I apparently ordered (5) of whats on the current ssr4 mouser BOM  (5/2012) ... part 821-TS2940CZ50
and I'm wondering what the older ssr3 part# for the OLD regulator was (since it apparently changed and I have 2 of those V2's)   Do I have the correct parts to build even a couple SSR4 v2(s) at this point?

Any help appreciate.  I'm thinking I could go to the store and order (3) ssr4 v3 pcbs ... and perhaps a couple of the old voltage regulators (if they changed) to complete the (2) ssr4 v2(s) I have parts for.

Sorry for the long rambling post.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline rm357

SSR v3 PCBs
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, »
The v2 SSR4 transformers are no longer available. We did an end of life buy of the remaining stock last year. That's why the v3 was born.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
SSR v3 PCBs
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, »
Right, I have two v2 transformers from that effort .   I think the problem was I ordered parts and ended up accidentally getting v3 parts with my v2 boards and v2 transformers .   
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, »
I'm putting together two ssc4 kits with the two blue transformers I have which fit my ssr4 v2 boards. 

Can anyone confirm which voltage regulator and transformer combination  is correct for v2 vs v3 ssr4 boards?

I also have several 6 pin transformers but they don't fit the boards I have.   So I'm hoping my pile of parts is enough to salvage 2 good ssr4's !

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, »
The blue Pulse transformer took a regular 7805 ...

Here's the one that was in the 2009 BOM:

FWIW, I opened the 2013 BOM just now and note that two items are no longer stocked (the 180-ohm resistor is no big deal but the Little Fuse clips might be) and a third is EOL (ST appears to be getting out of the through-hole line-driver business) though there still are 4800 in stock.

\dmc

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, »
Fortunately, I already have the 180-ohm and the little fuse clips, but the regulator I got was the TS2940 (821-TS2940CZ50).  Will it work?

Looks like both are 5v and one thew TS2940 is 1A output vs. 1.5A (v3?) output on the L7805 (v2?)

I have v2 ssr4 board.

All I plan on running on these are very small items, like 1-2 strings of .33a mini lights per ch.

Is the old BOM on file anywhere?

I noticed Mouser keeps a detailed record of all your old orders, if anyone has the v2 bom.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, »
Fortunately, I already have the 180-ohm and the little fuse clips, but the regulator I got was the TS2940 (821-TS2940CZ50).  Will it work?

Looks like both are 5v and one thew TS2940 is 1A output vs. 1.5A (v3?) output on the L7805 (v2?)

It should work, but why not go with the correct part? You can pick one up at most Radio Shacks:

Is the old BOM on file anywhere?

I noticed Mouser keeps a detailed record of all your old orders, if anyone has the v2 bom.

Here's mine:

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, »
Thanks for the BOM.

Wow, lots of parts are different, not just transformer and volt reg.

Probably most are just equivalent or near equivalent I guessing.   This kit is probably so old that the parts are just all over the map these days.

I think I'll stick with the parts Imhave because they are almost identical to the current ssr4 wiki BOM but way different than yours.

I'm just hoping the transformer diff won't matter.

Scott

Offline Exitfourxmas

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, »
For the fuse clip, they list a fuse clip replacement ending with a "Z" as opposed to the original ending with a "H", I don't see what the differnce is?

For the 180 ohm resister, they show they have the RoHS version in stock, just not the non-RoHS version?

I Have a bunch of v2 that I need to populate for freestyle projects and hope I am not missing something in what I am reading?

Jerry

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, »
Does anyone have a picture of ssr4 v3 board that they can post?  Just wondering whats different from v2 boards.

I notice my v2 doesn't need the mod (Cutting a trace off the 120) mentioned at in the ssr4 forum.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, »