Author Topic: Flex String "Frame"  (Read 4643 times)

Offline deplanche

Flex String "Frame"
« on: July 24, 2012, »
I am trying to make a frame out of some flex strips to go inside a window. I'd add a photo, but since I don't have it built yet, that would be hard to do.  :)  But basically, I want to make a rectangle that is 20" wide by 12" high, which seems to work fairly well with locations to cut a flex strip.  But before I got cutting things up, I had a few questions.

1. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to make a 90° turn with some flex strips?  I am thinking I am going to cut the strip, then solder on a short wire to each of the pads to reconnect the strips, and then the wire will provide enough flexibility to make the turn.  Seems like that would work, but wanted to see if there were any better ideas out there.

2.  I think i have the older strips because there are the diode locations on it, and some diodes too.  But if I do the above, since I am just cutting and reconnecting, I shouldn't have to worry about adding any jumpers, right?

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: Flex String "Frame"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, »
If you just cut the strip and run wires between the two cut points should work just fine. Just be careful that you get your extension wires done point to point without any crossovers.

Are you planning to mount the cut strips inside a sealable tube or channel. You don't want water to get into the flex strip.

Offline deplanche

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, »
If all goes as planned, these will fit inside my window frames so they will be inside and well protected from water, so not too worried about that.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, »
wont do you much good at the moment, but for others in the future etc - Ray sells a 90 deg corner piece on his site in the accessories section....

Myk

Offline Corey872

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, »
I cut some old flex strips to do this exact same thing.  Turned out to be a nightmare.  "You can cut every three nodes" it said.  While this is true, just don't expect to send power/data back into the cut-off section and have it work.  Even adding the diode jumpers don't make it 100%.  There used to be a thread posted about it, but in some cases you also have to... uh... do things which are probably too technical to talk about here... if you actually want the cut end of the string to work.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I cut some old flex strips to do this exact same thing.  Turned out to be a nightmare.  "You can cut every three nodes" it said.  While this is true, just don't expect to send power/data back into the cut-off section and have it work.  Even adding the diode jumpers don't make it 100%.  There used to be a thread posted about it, but in some cases you also have to... uh... do things which are probably too technical to talk about here... if you actually want the cut end of the string to work.

There's a thread here:

These are the "NEW" 2012 Flexstrips that do not have the Diode at the beginning of the LED 1809IC based Flexstrips

I can confirm that with the new Flexstrips, you MUST start with a strip from the soldered end and then you can make the cut between any of the unsoldered or soldered cut locations (every 3rd LED). Then you MUST move to the next free SOLDERED part of the strip to make the next strip you want to cut.

If you try to connect the smart string controller to a non-soldered end and then make the next cut at any of the cut section, it doesn't work.

If you are working with the "OLD" Flexstrips with the Diode at the beginning of the strip, here's the thread on cutting them and how it might affect the Data Out:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, by peteandvanessa »

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, »
According to Ray - the "new" 1809 flex - the pcb has been redone to allow cutting at any joint - soldered or not - the 2012 I have is the same way - I am able to separate at any 4 led joint and have no problem with inbound

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, »
According to Ray - the "new" 1809 flex - the pcb has been redone to allow cutting at any joint - soldered or not - the 2012 I have is the same way - I am able to separate at any 4 led joint and have no problem with inbound

That's goot to know.

It would then seem that there are at least 3 types of LED Flexstrips then, all with different cutting approaches.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, »
I don't see three types here.  What you are describing is the issue with the older strips.  You can cut them at just about any cut point but the cut ends only work from either a solder joint or by adding the missig components. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline thestig

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, »
I have been curious to see what a frame would look like if I fed the flex strip through the pvc and 90 degree elbows so tha the thinwalled pvc would act diffuser. It is the same concept as the flex strips in the pvc for arches.

I see the elbows causing prioblems (double the thickness so not as good of diffusion).

but still want to give it a shot.

Grant

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, »
I don't see three types here.  What you are describing is the issue with the older strips.  You can cut them at just about any cut point but the cut ends only work from either a solder joint or by adding the missig components.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Earlier Flexstrips when cutting, you needed to solder across the diode section

2. Later Flexstrips, when cutting, you need to cut at a solder joint, but didn't need to solder across the diode section, since their isn't one

3. Latest Flexstrips, the pcb has been redone to allow cutting at any joint - soldered or not

Offline Corey872

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, »
Corrections need to be made, because on some strings it's not only about the diode but about the data line not being correct as well.  ...at least in the case where you want to re-link the cut strips.  I'm just not sure where to specifically apply the corrections.   

If you want to cut the strip and apply another SSC to the remainder, things may be different.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, by Corey872 »

Offline deplanche

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, »
I am not sure what version of the flex strips I have, so I attached some photos.  There are 5 sections of 3 nodes each before it repeats.

Section 1 is typical right after a soldered joint, or where the wires are attached to the strip.  There is a resistor, R1, installed and no diode before the first LED.

Section 2 is the next section, and does not have the resistor before the LED, but there is a diode installed.

Sections 3, 4, and 5 all look the same to me, and have a spot for a diode, but no diode installed.  After Section 5, there is a soldered joint and then a Section 1.

I am pretty sure I can start a new section at a soldered joint, but is it possible to start at any other locations?  If so, are any modifications required?

How about ending a section, are there any requirements where that can happen besides at a joint?

Offline deplanche

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, »
Ok, tried to upload photos, but it won't seem to let me.

Offline deplanche

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, »
Photos