Author Topic: EtD interference w/wireless devices? (SOLVED !!)  (Read 3696 times)

dandyman

I was working w/my setup last night (Computer hard-wired to wireless router -> router hard-wired to pixelnet-loaded EtD -> SS active hub -> SSC's -> flex strips.

With everything powerd-up (but no sequence being sent to the EtD), there is no noticible wireless device interference. However, when I send a sequence file from LSP and the EtD starts sending data out, my Ipad can't connect to the wireless router... as soon as I stop the sequence on LSP (no data being sent to the EtD), the Ipad can connect to the router.

I haven't tried any of the other wireless devices that are in use (wife's laptop, etc) to see if it is only the Ipad, but I will tonite...

Has anyone else had trouble with wireless devices connectivity when the EtD is being sent/sending data?

thanks...

Dan
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, by dandyman »

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: EtD interference w/wireless devices?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, »
I've not noticed anything like this.

maybe you can add some shielding around the EtD to see if you can mitigate the impact.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, »
You are probably overpowering the router with the EtD data. Ethernet data is one at a time traffic on a wire, so if 1 computer is sending constant data, all other traffic will wait until it is done. You might try getting a cheap non-wireless router to seperate the EtD data onto its own subnetwork.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

dandyman

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, »
Thanks, guys...

I do have a couple of extra routers... that makes sense, Jeff... didn't even think of that...

I'll take the show computer off the network and go directly to a seperate router tonite...

Dan

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are probably overpowering the router with the EtD data. Ethernet data is one at a time traffic on a wire, so if 1 computer is sending constant data, all other traffic will wait until it is done. You might try getting a cheap non-wireless router to seperate the EtD data onto its own subnetwork.
hmmm.... routers tend to be implemented as switches (and not hubs) so contention is not usually an issue for nodes not interacting with the busy nodes, BUT the multicast traffic (used by e1.31) is the exception and could well be introducing the problem... all devices on the network will get this chatty traffic.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, »
As you said, multi-cast will eat up every port on the switch and chew up router and access port time as well.  Many times, these "high speed" routers are still the came old crap cranked up a bit and really don't have the resources required to handle the level of data flow that we are sending with implementation of E1.31that we are using.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

dandyman

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, »
Well, I went home at lunch and disconnected the EtD from the network and just hooked it directly to the computer... problem solved !!  ;D

Thanks, all, for the suggestions (and knowledge)!!

Hopefully this will help someone else who may run into the same thing...

Dan

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
Re: EtD interference w/wireless devices? (SOLVED !!)
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, »
I would not say this is solved yet - I run my Ed thru my wireless router and have no problems what so ever.  I have even run it thru a wireless bridge to get connected to the wireless network with no problems as well.  Have run LSP on laptop connected to network wireless - no problems there either.

I think you have some other problem going on here....  What type of wireless do you have and on what Freq/channel is it running?

Myk

dandyman

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, »
I'm running a little over 6000 channels this year with a lot of transitions in LSP... so I'm thinking (like Jeff and tbone said) that the constant stream of data is tying-up the router (it's an older Linksys)...

Anyway, at least w/this set-up, the sequence is running fine and I can now connect to the router w/my Ipad when the sequence is running...

That's my story and I'm sticki' w/it  ;D

Dan

Offline rm357

EtD interference w/wireless devices? (SOLVED !!)
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, »
How old is your router?

One of the things that is often not advertised is that many cheaper routers can only support a small number of simultaneous connections.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

dandyman

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, »
I'm thinking its 5-6 years old... a long time in the tech world...

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would not say this is solved yet - I run my Ed thru my wireless router and have no problems what so ever.  I have even run it thru a wireless bridge to get connected to the wireless network with no problems as well.  Have run LSP on laptop connected to network wireless - no problems there either.

I think you have some other problem going on here....  What type of wireless do you have and on what Freq/channel is it running?

Myk
I have a wireless-N with 1gb ports, and 1gb switches as well.
I don't think i will have much of a noticeable problem.

Another person using 100mb, or 10mb gear might indeed have a problem.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, »
ya, all my stuff is N and Gb ports - as my house has central file server for video/audio streaming with XBMC and BOXEE products

Myk