Author Topic: SSC V2 has an output problem (prev - code has a bug)  (Read 16660 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: SSC V2 code has a bug
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, »
Only if both SSCs are set up exactly the same using the SSC utility.  Same start address, same number of pixels, same type of pixels etc.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, »
And if they are would you expect the same results?

Offline keitha43

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, »
Since your strings are only 85 nodes long use 85 in the address utility not 86 even in hybrid mode. By checking the hybrid button it automatically adds the extra 3 channels. Then 513, 514, and 515 are the whole string channels. Individual pixels start at 516. You might also try xlights hardware tester.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, »
ok, here is what i would do, start up the SSC util, config a V1 controller like you need it, then hook up a v2 controller and transmit again, changing nothing.

Then go into LSP and test how your V1 works, if it works as expected, then swich it over to a V2, it should act exactly the same.

By programming a V1 and then immediately a V2, you know they are setup the same way

Myk

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, »
Since a picture is worth 1000 words a video is worth 10000 words.

The first video here is when I am programming the SSC address with the SSC utility. Please note the first node acts differently from all the others.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The next video is me using the Hardware test from within LSP. I use on 2 of the color sliders, Red and Green. I also only use the ON and Off buttons under the sliders.

I first turn on RED then additionally turn on Green etc.

I hope these demonstrate what I am seeing.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, »
ok, here is what i would do, start up the SSC util, config a V1 controller like you need it, then hook up a v2 controller and transmit again, changing nothing.

Then go into LSP and test how your V1 works, if it works as expected, then swich it over to a V2, it should act exactly the same.

By programming a V1 and then immediately a V2, you know they are setup the same way

Myk

Been there done that. SSCv2 still behaves the same. See the above videos.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, »
My money is still on the address being in-correct.

My strings did something very familiar to what you are seeing (1 st pixel off by one color). I reduced their addresses by 1 and all was well again.

Have you tried what keitha43 suggested?

I just checked my strings in the garage (now these aren't running in hybrid mode, but in full string mode)

My smart string for the test has 60 nodes (so 60 x 3LEDs = 180 channels) has a start channel of 613 and runs upto 792

(*Note this, you would assume logically that the channels would start at 613 and run to 793, because 613 + 180 = 793, but they don't, they actually start at 613 and run to 792). This is what gave me issues initially setting up my strings.

So the first three addresses are:
613 -  Red
614 - Green
615 - Blue

If in LSP I move the slider on channel 613 I get red
Then I turn the slider off

Then I move the slide on channel 614 I get Green
Then turn the slider off

Then I move the slide on channel 615 I get Blue

If I then move the sliders for 613 and 614 I get a Yellow color
Then I turn the sliders off

If I then turn on sliders 614 and 615 I get a Light blue
Then I turn the sliders off

If I turn on all three sliders (channels 613, 614, and 615) I get all white.

This will repeat on the next set of three channels (channels 616, 617 and 618) and so on until I get to my last channel in the string which is channel 792
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, by peteandvanessa »

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, »
Pete,

BTW in hybrid mode all the pixels respond to what the first pixel is asked to do.

I started my addressing at 513 because I am having to reserve the first block of addresses for DMX because of the bug in the e-dongle firmware and I don't know when it will be fixed.

This leaves me with the following addressing:
The first three addresses are:
513 -  Red
514 - Green
515 - Blue

Because I have set my strings to the Hybrid mode these three channels control the way the complete string responds to commands.
If I move over to Channels 516, 517, and 518 only pixel 1 will respond etc. Thats why you have to reserve 86 channels for hybrid mode vs 85 for string mode.

If in LSP I can either click the 'ON' button or move the slider on channel 513 I get red

Then I can click the 'ON' button or move the slider on channel 514 I get Green
Then turn the slider off or click the 'off' button

Then I can click the 'ON' button or move the slider on channel 515 I get Blue
Then I turn the slider off or click the 'off' button

If I click both the 'Red' and 'Green' 'ON' buttons I get a yellow color then I click both 'OFF' buttons.
If I click both the 'Green' and 'Blue' 'ON' buttons I get a cyan color then I click both 'OFF' buttons.
If I click both the 'Red' and 'Blue' 'ON' buttons I get a magenta color then I click both 'OFF' buttons.

Now I have 2 videos made with the same LSP program and the same pixel string in the other 2 videos.

The first shows the 'white' flashing of the string and that pixel 1 is not alternating colors like it did in V2 setup programing.

The second video shows the LSP test of the various colors as described above and in the video.

This was done by simply switching out the SSC V2 with a SSC V1 unit. Nothing else changed. Both programmed EXACTLY alike.

Online RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, »
BTW there is no difference in the v1 and v2 code that would cause this behavior. Only the pins controlled changed. it is one line of code different and this is the pin control command.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, »
RJ

That's what makes this so strange.

The V2 should be a drop in for the V1 unit but something isn't the same.

I'll try something different tomorrow possibly use xLights as the testing program.

I'll go back and reprogam the PICs in both uints (V2 and V1) to a fresh start. Then use the Utility to set the address identically in both test units, then try my original LSP test sequence. If the results are not identical then I'll move on to try testing with xLights and post those results.

I need 8 of the SSC V2 for my expanded megatree this year.  <fp.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, »
I would double check your wiring on both ends of the ssc v2.
White/orange stripe in #1.
Orange #2
White/blue stripe, Blue, White/green stripe all in #3
Green, White/brown Stripe, Brown all in #4

On the other end I see where people have posted the wiring in the 3 pin connectors has changed so you might want to ohm it out to see if your data line hasn't switched with another line. Also when you programmed with the address utility did you choose 85 instead of 86?

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, »
I don't use the dongles anymore for connections. Both V1 and V2 are wired exactly alike.

The test I am going to do tomorrow will include 2 SSCv1s and 2SSCv2s configured EXACTLY alike.

Since pixenet works very simillarly to DMX, I can connect all 4 to the same hub. All 4 SSCs should respond EXACTLY alike. If not I will video it and post the video.

If the problem goes away I'll post that as well and chalk it up to gremlins.  >:D

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, »
Both V1 and V2 are wired exactly alike.

How can this statement be true

Version 1 was wired like ->
1 - White with Orange Stripe

2 - Orange

3 - White with Blue Stripe

4 - Blue

5 - White with Green Stripe

6 - Green

7 - White with Brown Stripe

8 - Brown

Version 2 was wired like->

1 - White with Orange Stripe

2 - Orange

3 (Positive)
White with Blue Stripe
Blue
White with Green Stripe

4 (Ground)
Green
White with Brown Stripe
Brown

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, »
No what I mean is that I do NOT use the RJ45 dongles, I have replaced them with 4 pin connectors. There are 4 pads in each SSC that are Signal 1, Signal 2, Power, and Ground. The 4 pin connectors are waterproof and I have RJ45 to 4 pin adapters for attaching the SSC to the hub.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, »
I was referring to the 3 pin connector that some people use to connect the ssc to the node string where you have power, ground, and data connections. If you are using that, and if you have an older version on the pixel string side, and a newer version 3 pin on the ssc v2 side, and an older version 3 pin on the ssc v1 side, it could explain why swapping the ssc could cause a problem as the 3 pin dongle on the ssc v2 side could have wires swapped.