Author Topic: usb Pixelnet dongle/16 port hub/ssc major issues  (Read 19673 times)

Offline rm357

DMX dongle major issues
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, »
Excellent. Got power.

I'd go to the software page on the wiki and download the "SS Color Finder" program.
It gives you three sliders and sends out the whole pixelnet universe as rgbrgbrgb... It avoids the added complexity of setting up vixen, LSP, or some other program and touches all addresses...

If I had to guess, my next area of concern is the actual connection to the pixels, there are 11 wrong ways to hook them up...

I'm assuming that you are using pixels as the other nodes have their inputs marked. Make sure you are using the wires that go into the pixel on the side that the big black chip is on. The back side has several smaller resistors. This eliminates 6 wrong ways...

Red wire is +12v, but you knew that...
Blue and green... Green should be ground and blue data, but if the first pixel glows a faint blue, try swapping them.

Run the SS address utility, set up your nodes, use the drop-down to select the number of nodes, hit transmit, and do the jumper thing.  Pixels should start blinking white, unplug the ssc and plug it back in (reset). Close/exit the SS address utility, then start the color finder.

In an early version of the ss address utility, manually typing the number of nodes did not work. I think this was fixed, but it's always safer to use the drop down. Also, be careful about addresses near the end of a universe. If the start address + (#nodes times 3) is greater than 4096, the ssc will have issues.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline lawn patrol

Re: DMX dongle major issues
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, »
ok thanks for the tip so with a more accurate im getting 12.13 volts...I still dont understand why the ss arent working...once in a while a single led will turn on when i connect the dongle or powersupply.

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, »
nothing happens when i hit transmit in ss utility

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, »
Did you flash the Hub and the SSC with the firmware. as the did not come flashed in the COOP.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline keitha43

Re: Re: DMX dongle major issues
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, »
ok thanks for the tip so with a more accurate im getting 12.13 volts...I still dont understand why the ss arent working...once in a while a single led will turn on when i connect the dongle or powersupply.
if the single led is the first in the string and it is a blue color the wires from the ssc to the string can be incorrect.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline rm357

DMX dongle major issues
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, »
Flashing the hub would not matter - that pic and firmware is only needed to drive the DMX output on the hub.

The pixelnet data From the dongle passes through a couple of the '485 chips for buffering and regeneration before it goes to the pixelnet outputs.
Robert

Offline rm357

DMX dongle major issues
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, »
I'm assuming you did, but just in case...
You move the jumper to the program position after you hit transmit. Once the string starts flashing move it back. String should continue to flash until you disconnect the ssc from the hub.

When the dongle is transmitting DMX, the green led is very bright. When the dongle is transmitting pixelnet, it's difficult to see it flashing, but it is.

The wire order in the Ethernet cables follows the industry standard, but I always have to look it up...

Do you have anything else that we can test with, like another SSC or a DMX device? I've got 1 ssc that just wouldn't work last year, so I plugged in a spare and never got around to fixing the bad one... Right now we have too many variables... It would be nice to try something else so that we can confirm some known good items...
Robert

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, »
I'm assuming you did, but just in case...
You move the jumper to the program position after you hit transmit. Once the string starts flashing move it back. String should continue to flash until you disconnect the ssc from the hub.

When the dongle is transmitting DMX, the green led is very bright. When the dongle is transmitting pixelnet, it's difficult to see it flashing, but it is.

The wire order in the Ethernet cables follows the industry standard, but I always have to look it up...

Do you have anything else that we can test with, like another SSC or a DMX device? I've got 1 ssc that just wouldn't work last year, so I plugged in a spare and never got around to fixing the bad one... Right now we have too many variables... It would be nice to try something else so that we can confirm some known good items...

correct i hit transmit then i move the shunt to program...the led on the dongle is very faint and blinking is that because its pixelnet when running vixen its alot brighter. as for ethernet cables there are two standards i think im using method b not quite sure but would that even matter?

I do have two other ssc that i have not assembled yet and i have two le that are not assembled either. If i have time ill build the ssc but the le will have to wait till the weekend. other than that i only have lor equipment.

Offline lawn patrol

Re: Re: DMX dongle major issues
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, »
if the single led is the first in the string and it is a blue color the wires from the ssc to the string can be incorrect.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.
[/quote]

the led is blue but it doesnt come on every time and it might be the first light on the string but im not positive.

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, »
In Vixen be sure no add-ins are selected.

For Output plug-ins select only the "Pixelnet" plugin.  This file is in the wiki.  Configure it in VZicen for your comport.

Keep us posted.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, »
We now know you have power to the SSC, If you have the ability to, flash the SSC with the test firmware. This is a good way to check that you have the pixels connected correctly and they are working.  If that all goes correctly then reflash with v2 firmware and test with the color picker tool. If that works you should then be able to set your start address.
Jeff Squires

Offline rm357

DMX dongle major issues
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, »
I mentioned the test firmware before, but I don't see a version for the v2 ssc and I'm not sure if the v1 ssc test firmware is compatible with the hardware changes on the v2 board...
Robert

Offline tbone321

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, »
It is not and using it cn possibly damage the SSC V2
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, »
ok so an update...i built another ssc tonight and flashed it with firmware used rg's utility to program it and still no lights flashing. ssc does have 12 volts going to it and it is programmed with 168b firmware.

Does it matter what way the resistors go? when building the lor i know it didnt matter just want to double check i dont think it matters.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: usb Pixelnet dongle/16 port hub/ssc major issues
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, »
direction on resistors does not matter.
direction on the small 0.1uf capacitors does not matter either... the larger capacitors DO matter.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro