Author Topic: usb Pixelnet dongle/16 port hub/ssc major issues  (Read 19660 times)

Offline lawn patrol

Re: usb Pixelnet dongle/16 port hub/ssc major issues
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2012, »
ok so ive completed the build of two express boards and in the process of testing them. Im new to diy so im probably making a mistake here but i keep getting errors when selecting the com port. Ive tried numerous programs to send dmx to the le but nothing seems to work.  In vixen it says the port does not exist or access denied. In le config utility it says access to the path c:\program fiules (x86)dla\lynx epress configuration utility\configs\config.xml' is denied.

Your probably thinking that I have multiple programs open trying to use the same port and the answer is no i dont. Ive even reset my computer and changed the port and still get the same error. This is the same error i used to get trying to use pixelnet but somehow i stopped getting it. This may have been the issue the whole time.

Ive done a test with the power on the board and all 16 channels light up.
Question is terminate supposed to have a jumper on it? or is that for wireless?
3v and 5v light come on the data light not sure didnt solder that in yet cuz i was short one bulb but i have it now. Its late now and ill test the other board tomorrow.
yes i did change the firmware to the dongle for dmx and the express is programmed too.

For vixen what plugin am I supposed to use ive been trying enttec dmx usb pro and with the baud rate at 115200 addins dmx selected. Not sure if those are the right settings or not.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2012, »
It looks like some of the picture may be missing here.  What dongle are you using to connect to the Express?  If you are using the USB dongle, make sure that you have indtalled the FTDI driver located in the WIKI.  If you don't Windows will install the native USB drver but that doesn't work.  Then you can take a look in thehardware manager to see if Windows recognized it ansd it will give you the correct com port.  Until you get the dongle working, it really doesn't matter what you have connected to it because nothing will work.  Also remove the DMX addin because that will stop it from working properly.  The DMX addin makes the computer format the DMX data stream and that is the job of the Dongle.  The DMX addin is used for devices lik the Enttec open which is a dumb communications link.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline caretaker

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2012, »
The process for using the USB dongle should go something like this:
1. Download the FTDI drivers from the wiki and install them.
2. Plug in your dongle (the first time you do this it should say "found new hardware and installing drivers").
3. Go to your Control Panel and open the hardware manager (in XP system -> hardware) and click on "Ports COM and LPT" and you should see "USB serial port", click on the properties for that and write down the COM number and set the BAUD rate to 115200 the rest should be fine.
4. Down load the LE config utility and the DMX deck from the wiki and install.
5. Connect your (1) express to your dongle and run the setup utility setting the start address and lighting curves (if you know them yet). Repeat for your remaining expresses.
6. Run the DMX deck and test your expresses.
7. Set up Vixen with the Entec USB Pro plug-in setting the correct COM port number and you should be good to go!
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2012, »
ftdi drivers installed
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, by lawn patrol »

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2012, »
firmware and back of usb dongle
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, by lawn patrol »

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2012, »
front of usb dongle

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2012, »
front of hub

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2012, »
back of hub

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2012, »
Still no luck with dongle. I uninstalled the ftdi drivers and reinstalled them and got rid of the no access to port errors but when i use lynx express config utility and try and program the express it never resets the board. I have the express in the program prg. then i hit tranmit on the config utility and nothing happens the program just says transmitting and the green led dongle is flashing but the express doesnt reset.

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2012, »
what is the terminate on the express board for and should a shunt be on it?

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2012, »
If this express is the last one in a chain (or the only one) you must put the jumper in place over both pins to "terminate" it.
Leesburg, FL

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2012, »
yeah that was the problem express is working fine now with the shunt installed on wireless and terminate. If I were to use two express units would I not use shunt on first express? For the led display is that number for the assigned unit?

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2012, »
ok so now that i know the dongle is working in dmx i need to figure out why the hub wasnt working with the pixelnet dongle. im going to order parts from mouser to make another dongle put in the meantime ill just flash the dongle i have with pixelnet. ive posted the pics of the hub if someone can help me troubleshoot the hub more id appreciate it.

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2012, »
ok, the first thing I would do to the hub it take some Isopropyl Alcohol and an old tooth brush and clean off the flux. Then if it were me, knowing that the USB Dongle works is as follows

1. Re-Flash teh USB Dongle for pixelnet.
2. Take an ethernet cable and cut one end of it to expose the orange-white and orange wire these 2 are used to send the signel hook then directly to the SSC.
3. Using 2 20 guage wires hook the +12 volts to the positive of the SSC and ground to the negative of the SSC. if you search google for pc power supply connector you will find which pins are +12 and Ground. You will also have to use a jumper wire between two of the pins.

This way you can TEST (NOT FOR GENERAL USE) using the USB Dongle, a 12 power supply such as a PC Power supply, and the SSC.

This will verify that your SSC is working.

Be sure to hoolk up some lights to the SSC.

I'm not sure but you may be able to flash the SSC with the TEST firmware and only supply the 12 volts and then maybe the test pattern will run. I'm not sure on this part.   
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2012, »
yeah that was the problem express is working fine now with the shunt installed on wireless and terminate. If I were to use two express units would I not use shunt on first express? For the led display is that number for the assigned unit?

Correct.
Leesburg, FL