Author Topic: usb Pixelnet dongle/16 port hub/ssc major issues  (Read 19672 times)

Offline lawn patrol

Re: usb Pixelnet dongle/16 port hub/ssc major issues
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2012, »
ok i just got back in town and Im completely lost in what to do and how to get this hub to work. PM me if your willing to work on it and ill see if I can ship it.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2012, »
If you are sure you are getting pixelnet to it then, On the top five st485 chips swap the leftmost two with the right most two and then test using the right columns of the outputs. This way if a bad st485 chip is your problem it should then  work. The right most one is the receiver so it if was bad or had bent pins ect it would cause the whole 16 outputs not to work.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2012, »
I had a spare set of parts for another build and i tried that before with no luck.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2012, »
Then it has to be a solder connection or similiar. The data simply comes in the plug and depending on the jumper location jumpers two wires from the cable to the input of the 5th st485 chip which output the data to the four others and then connecto straght to 4 of the outputs each.

You need to have good power the jumpers in place and data to them. Are you sure Pixelnet data is getting to the pcbs ok?

RJ

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2012, »
Well right now I'm not sure of anything since the board got damaged. I know dmx worked even after the board was fried.Which is why i wanted you to look at it.

I've ordered a new pcb. I think I'm short a couple parts but hopefully when i get it built it will work.

I could of had the smart strings connected the wrong way. Does it matter which end of the string is connected? I think i read somewhere connect the chip side of the string to the pcb.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2012, »
That is correct.

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2012, »
ok ive just built another active hub and im getting the same thing. No blinking lights.

Ive tested to verify ssc is getting voltage. 12volts into the smart string and its outputting 12volts too which leads me to believe the smart strings are not working. Is there anyway I can test the strings?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2012, »
You do have the strings connect to the correct side? The node strings do have a input and an output side.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2012, »
I have them connect with the the big chip faccing the ssc

Offline lawn patrol

« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2012, »
Just a recap on what Ive done so far. If anyone is willing to help plz pm me I'm in desperate need of it.

Built two 16 port active hubs
Built 3 ssc 2 75 node strings and i also have 3 ribbons
Built two dongles 1 flashed for pixelnet and the other for dmx
Built two Le and they are working

Ive had problems ever since the start of trying to get a ssc programed with the smart string utility for some reason when I go to program it the lights never flash. The big chip is facing the ssc and for the ribbon I'm not sure which way the arrow is supposed to face i have it facing away from the ssc. So if that's wrong please correct me.

What I need is for someone to test the equipment for me and verify what is working and what isn't because with me just starting and not having anything its hard for me troubleshoot whats good and what isn't. If you have any questions please feel free to post. If you live in Florida and are willing to test the ssc, dongle and hub pm and ill get back asap.

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2012, »
On the ribbon the arrow goes with the flow of current.  So pointing away with from the SSC.

If you want to ship it to me I can look at it.  I have lots of known good equipment that I can put it to the test with.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, by TAdamsOK »

Offline lorajoslyn

« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2012, »
I'm not sure if this will help, but I couldn't get any of my smart strings to power up either.  The biggest difference I had was that I was still using the USB dongle, not the pixelnet dongle (waiting patiently for that to come in).

I found another thread which recognized that the smart string utility didn't work for the USB dongle.  There's a post in this thread from RJ with an updated executable.  I used that, and *WOW* my smart strings started to work.  Here's the thread, and hoping that this might help.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

- Lora (Another newbie in the DIY realm )

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2012, »
That has to do with the new firmware which I do not think he is working with.

RJ