Author Topic: I need some help! Just starting.  (Read 5306 times)

Offline jairington

I need some help! Just starting.
« on: July 31, 2012, »
I am helping coordinate our cities 2nd annual light show.  I have only used boxes (Gemmy and Mr. Christmas) in the past.  We used Gemmy last year and it went well because we are using LED lights.  We didn’t have much time last year and not much money. We have increased our budget and are now looking to get a better show.  I need to get started and would love some ideas. What I need to buy, $, etc. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Offline charles59

Re: I need some help! Just starting.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, »
I am may be wrong, but I am not sure DLA items can be used for a city light show.  I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong.  May want to check the TOS for the products.

Offline thestig

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, »
DLA products are not meant for commercial applications as they are not UL certified. Lightorama has the boxes that you should be looking for. RJ has made it very clear that his products are not to be used for commercial applications.

Welcome to the site and goodluck with the lightshow.

Grant

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, »
Welcome to DLA!

What city are you working with?  ...maybe there are some local people that might be able to help in the education.

There is some work underway to productize the Lynx Express and the Lynx USB Dongle so that they can indeed be used for churches, city light shows, and other non-hobbyist activities.

The product is not yet available for sale, but enough is known so that you can start educating yourself about the product and how it is used.

fyi:  The plans do not include RGB and smart string kits at this time.

Steve (from Austin)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jairington

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, »
Sorry I am new to this site.  I just need to get something somewhat cheap.  We put on a small show in Oklahoma.  We have a pond with an island that the show was on last year.  Not very large area. The Gemmy was fine last year.  I have used a Gemmy on my house for years and am wanting to step up. Here is what I got out of the Gemmy:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Can I find something that is preloaded or doesnt take tons of time to set up?  We are brainstorming at this point.  Thank you all for your help.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, »
First... you won't have a DLA solution this year if the show is intended as a public/commercial event.  The commerical version won't likely be available in time for your needs. 

The licensing around the hobby products that we use here clearly says they are intended for hobbyist use.  There are not the protections in place for you, nor for the designer of the hardware (RJ).

Next year the situation will be different when the commercial stuff can be purchased as pre-built equipment.

As far as pricing is involved... the new boards with cabling and a box/enclosure might run in the neighborhood of $110 for each 16-channel controller (wires and boxes).
There is free software (Vixen).  You'd need lights and extension cords.  And finally, you'd need a dongle... maybe $60.

There are other products out there which allow commercial use... they have a higher cost...  maybe 2x-3x the numbers I list above.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, »
One thing that was not mentioned is that there is nothing pre-loaded with this type of equipment.  If you are looking for pre-loaded stuff then you might want to stick with Gemmi but the disadvantage in that is cost and limited flexability. 

I would have to say is that unlikely that a DIY solution would be available for you this year probably due to the learning curve alone.  While the equipment here is fairly easy to build and learn to use, it is currently not available for commercial use and what you want to do is considered commercial.  You could possibly go with Renard which is also DIY and I don't think that they are all that concerned with using that equipment in commercial situatons, but IMHO, they are more difficult to build and debug.  Another issue to think about is that if you don't use UL listed equipment and someone gets hurt by it, there may be some legal responsibility on your part, especially using it in a public place.

Either way, you would still need to learn how to sequence to get them to do anything and there are both free and pay programs to do this.  Vixen 2.1 comes to mind here and the price is free.  It is easy to use for what your plans are and the good thing is that you don't need any hardware to practice or even sequence with it.  It has a preview pannel that will allow you to import a picture of the are you want to decorate and then draw in the lights that you intend to use.  You can then sequence away.  If and when you decide to do it for real, you can put in your controllers and assign the channels and you have a sequence ready to run.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, »
Sorry I am new to this site.  I just need to get something somewhat cheap.  We put on a small show in Oklahoma.  We have a pond with an island that the show was on last year.  Not very large area. The Gemmy was fine last year.  I have used a Gemmy on my house for years and am wanting to step up. Here is what I got out of the Gemmy:

Can I find something that is preloaded or doesnt take tons of time to set up?  We are brainstorming at this point.  Thank you all for your help.

You got all of that out of one Gemmy unit?  Interesting.  Pretty decent.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline keitha43

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, »
Since the commercial version of some of RJ's products aren't available yet, you can use products like light-a-rama that have commercial units. You might try You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They have some pre-sequenced songs and controllers and some lighted props. The prices are higher than do it yourself equipment as they try to make it plug and play and have to take liability into consideration in case someone gets injured. Another example is the halloween singing pumpkin faces, they want 650 for one and I built my own back in 2009 for 50 or less. Another example is they want 350 for 1 arch which you can build yourself for about 25. It just depends on how much plug and play you want and time you have.

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, »
I will second the wowlights.com option. It is where I got my start and you can get a working set up and start your learning. It is pricey but it's a a plug and play option. Next year you will have lynx options that will work with the Light O rama equipment. good luck and have fun.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline caretaker

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, »
Actually you can get plug and play options from Light O Rama they carry commercial grade controllers and a number of  already programmed  sequences for up to 32 channels.
Jeff Squires

Offline keitha43

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, »
I suggested wowlights because they also have the lighted elements such as arches among other things.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.