Author Topic: star adress problem with other dmx device  (Read 2198 times)

Offline barbotte

star adress problem with other dmx device
« on: August 01, 2012, »
hello i was wondering if i hook up others dmx device like the ren 48 lsd .. ren 24 ss or ray 27 dmx chanel ... do the other device need to have the adress change on the chip or will it fallow what ever is after the lynx express ?? so if the lynx start at chanel 100 to 116 does the lsd chip need to be programm at 117 or will it fallow by default to chanel 117 ??
thanks

Offline rm357

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, »
All DMX devices need to have their address set. I think the 27 channel device from aliexpress and the 3 channel device from holiday coro both use dip switches. Dip switches are also the standard used for most commercial lighting equipment that does not have a built in control panel.

By doing it electronically, we both reduce the cost a little and eliminate the row of 9 mechanical switches, which may not hold up well when used outside.

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline rm357

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, »
Also, all DMX devices receive the complete universe. The address setting just tells it what data to use. You can have overlapping address ranges and everything will work. If you have 15 devices set to listen to channel 52, then they will all respond to the channel 52 data. The consequence of this is that you cannot control them separately like you could if they all listened to unique addresses.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline barbotte

Re: star adress problem with other dmx device
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, »
well i though when i programm my dmx chip on my lsd 48 they will have all the same star adress so they will fallow each other back to back ??? if that is the case then why do i have to give a start adrsse to 117 after my lynx ?
i hope it make sence what i am trying to accomplish

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, »
Renard does not use a true implementation of DMX.  True DMX devices don't alter the DMX signal and pass the complete data stream along the wire.  This gives the flexability of putting the units anywhere in the string that you want and it will still operate on the desired channels that you set it for.  This allows you to havemultiple controllers operating on the same channels if desired and moving the position of controllers or the wiring between them has no effect on your show.  IIRC, Renard controllers in native mode are positional and strip off the channels that the controller is using and they followed that same function when they created their version of DMX firmware.  You can always place your Lynks controllers at the front of the string set to the channels that you want it to work on and run your ren controllers after that using their addresing method.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline barbotte

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
.  You can always place your Lynks controllers at the front of the string set to the channels that you want it to work on and run your ren controllers after that using their addresing method.
well this is exactly what I want to do ..lynx wireless then cable to ren 48 ...but i though i did not need to put a adress to the ren chip as it was fallowing the lynx ???
thanks
cheer 

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, »
Henri - I thought you had this all figured out last year?  ;)

You can put a start address on the Ren/DMX boards if you want them to but you may be able to get away with configuring the Lynx to a starting address beyond the end of the Renards. Say you have Lynx LE -> Ren48LSD -> Ren48LSD. You would keep the start address of all the Ren's set to '1' and set the Lynx to start at 97 and keep it at the head of the string. I recall you want that since you are using Lynx Wireless and then stringing out the Ren's after.

The LE will pick up 97-112 and the Ren's will use 1-96.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, by budude »

Offline barbotte

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, »
you are righ budude I had it going last year ..this year i am adding 4 more lsd and so far from my testing/troubleshooting ... for what ever reason i cannot put the lsd after the lynx as the lsd if at adress 1  will start at 1 in my sequence and not pickt up after then lynx witch finish at 117..is that mean i need to put a adress of 118 on the firs pic of the lsd ??? i though last year i left it to 1 and it pick up after the lynx .... i realy cannot remember what i did last year ...
thanks

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, »
As I said before, the REN implementation of DMX is not a true implementation but rather something that allows them to respond to DMX commands.  In true DMX, there is no "pick up after" like the REN usits do.  In true DMX, all of the units get and pass the entire data stream and responf to the commands that they are addressed to.  If you set all of the Lynks DMX devices to 1 (including the Express), they will all respond to data starting on channel one.  I don't know what the Ren units will do to the data stream if you set them to an address other than one but would be curious to see. 

The easiest way would be to use a Lynks splitter and put the Rens on one output and the Express's on another.  Then you could set all the Rens to channel one and address the Express's to the actual channels that you want them to respond to and make those addresses above those that the Rens are using.  this way the changes to the data stream will have no effect on the Lynks equipment. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, »
Taking a Ren24SS as an example, if you set the starting address on the first PIC to something other than '1' - say '65', the first PIC will pull in everything from 1-64 and toss it, read in 65-72 and feed the rest, which will be back to address '1' again for the next PIC on the board. You only need to change the first PIC on a multi-PIC board.

Note the simplest thing to do if you don't like this behavior is to simply run a wire from the input to the output jacks across pins 4-4 and pins 5-5 and now no stripping. This will make it a bit more like what most folks consider a "normal" DMX setup. But of course doing this gets rid of all the auto-addressing ability of Renards which many consider a good thing.

Offline barbotte

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, »
thanks for all your help ,, final verdit ,,, i need to put the right adress to it ... the good news is i also put a ex/rx on the board so now i have my lsd wireless ..pretty cool and cheap ...
thanks all