Author Topic: Nutcracker: Yeah!! I have a solution for LSP  (Read 8336 times)

Offline urthegman

Re: Nutcracker: Yeah!! I have a solution for LSP
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, »
Steve, I do that ALL the time, I program each element one at a time like Lynx Expresses, programmable snow tubes, matrix, mega tree, Pixel mega tree etc and then add each segment to the master sequence when I am happy with it. I mostly do it because LSP doesn't let you test one element at a time, it looks to output to all elements and comports. I would LOVE to be able to disable output to certain controllers so that I can test one element on its own. Once a pattern is used, it is on its own in the sequence and is saved/stored in the pattern file until you use it again. So no it does not create any impact. Back to backing everything up so I can test Nutcracker today.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, by urthegman »

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
once a pattern is applied to a sequence, are the contents of the pattern file used anymore? 

i wonder if creating one sequence with a spiral... saving it, then creating a new sequence with a butterfly... saving it, etc. etc.  -- would that cause any impact on the first sequence?

It looks like the pattern is no longer used in any way once you paste it.

1) Created a Text Effect
2) Saved AA+TEXT.xm as UserPatterns.xml
3) Go into LSP and paste to timeline. Save sequence as sean.asq (I am not using music)
4) Exit LSP
5) Run Nutcracker and create AA_FLY.xm. Copy onto UserPatterns.xml
6) Go back into lsp , Load sean.asq. drag and drop the butterfly effect. Previous effect is still shown

Looks like patterns are only used when you do the drag and drop

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, by smeighan »
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, »
thanks!!

and thanks for the persistence in solving this issue.  you've been through MANY potential solutions in getting to this point!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline smeighan

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, »
I just pasted 4 2400 channel effects into one UserPatterns file. LSP handled it fine, quite impressive for the performance , actually.

I am going to make a change so that every effect that you have created as a *.xm file will all be included in the UserPatterns.xml. This way if you have 8 effects, you will be able to pick from all 8 wihout having to exit and reenter lsp.

Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline smeighan

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, »
I made a quick tutorial on putting nutcracker into lsp
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, »
In LSP you can also double-click on the pattern to copy the contents of the pattern into the clipboard.  Then you can simply right-click on the grid and select paste.  This method avoids having drag and drop. 

Offline urthegman

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, »
First, You are Amazing and how great it is to be part of a community where people help each other to make this hobby better! Second, thanks for the tutorial Sean it helped a LOT!!! So basically after creating an effect you right click and save it once with the title you gave it on the Nutcracker website and it gets saved in the Sequencer folder as an .xm file. Then you right click it again and then save it as UserPatterns.xml. Then shut down LSP and reopen it and the pattern is there under patterns. I am good up to that point. When I drag it to the sequence, I see the pattern and the paste options window opens and I use Snap to Nearest Timings and Use Clipboard timings. I click Paste but it doesn't paste.  :(  Question, what is the significance of UserPatterns.big? Is that just to give it the file a name? Thanks again, George

Offline urthegman

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, »
I tried the double click method and Clipboard timings only method and neither have worked.

Offline animal

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, »

First, You are Amazing and how great it is to be part of a community where people help each other to make this hobby better! Second, thanks for the tutorial Sean it helped a LOT!!! So basically after creating an effect you right click and save it once with the title you gave it on the Nutcracker website and it gets saved in the Sequencer folder as an .xm file. Then you right click it again and then save it as UserPatterns.xml. Then shut down LSP and reopen it and the pattern is there under patterns. I am good up to that point. When I drag it to the sequence, I see the pattern and the paste options window opens and I use Snap to Nearest Timings and Use Clipboard timings. I click Paste but it doesn't paste.  :(  Question, what is the significance of UserPatterns.big? Is that just to give it the file a name? Thanks again, George

Make sure all you controllers are expanded for the pattern,and try useing clipboard only,also get it as close to the timming mark as possible without going over it. It's touchy. Then be patiant and wait for the optimizing to finish. <pop..

animal
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, by animal »

Offline smeighan

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, »
I tried the double click method and Clipboard timings only method and neither have worked.

Over in DIYC, a person posted this
"Okay, I got it to work now... however its not showing up on my grid when I paste the effect. I decided to finally simply test the sequence with the preview tool, and what do you know, it is showing up there and working just fine.. Not sure why its not showing up on the grid though. Even tried doing a re-install. Any LSP users out there have any ideas? Could it be the gui ID you explained earlier? Thanks!"

it may be the guid is wrong for your computer. I tried leaving it blank and when i dragged the pattern every cell was white. This user said even though he couldnt see it posted, it actually did go in.

Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline smeighan

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, »
New release of code.

Now when you select lsp, i will first show you all of the effects that you have generated to the same target. If you are doing text on a target called MTREE, i will search for any effects you have created on MTREE. I then show you a form. select the effects you would like to be added into the Nutcracker Group inside of your UserPatterns.xml file.

In the below example my target file was called AA (yeah, original i know)

for my 2400 channels , each effect 8 seconds long the xml created was around 21mbytes. If i clicked all 20 effects i would be creating a 400mbyte UserPatterns.xml file. I just created 6 effects into the UserPatterns file (120mbytes) and it opened in 15 seconds. Performance seems very good from LSP in this area. I went and tried pasting multiple different effects, they all worked as expected.

Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline urthegman

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, »

Over in DIYC, a person posted this
"Okay, I got it to work now... however its not showing up on my grid when I paste the effect. I decided to finally simply test the sequence with the preview tool, and what do you know, it is showing up there and working just fine.. Not sure why its not showing up on the grid though. Even tried doing a re-install. Any LSP users out there have any ideas? Could it be the gui ID you explained earlier? Thanks!"

it may be the guid is wrong for your computer. I tried leaving it blank and when i dragged the pattern every cell was white. This user said even though he couldnt see it posted, it actually did go in.
Ok, I will keep trying.

Offline smeighan

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, »

UserPatterns.big was just a copy where i had put 8 sequences (20,000 channels) so i could test lsp performance. it has nothing to do with the normal operation of the UserPatterns.

Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, »
An easy way to do this is to save the UserPatterns.xml in a backup folder.

Bring in the Nutcracker pattern file.

In a test sequence copy the Nutcracker patern into sequence. Save the sequence. Exit LSP

Copy back the saved UserPatterns.xml overwriting the Nutcracker file.

Re open the test sequence, Highlight the pattern and add it to the User Paterns. Now the Nutcracker pattern has been added to your library.

You can automate this by creating a couple of batch files that move the files around as needed.

Hope that helps.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, »
Oh Yeah!!!!!!! Success!!!!!!!! I got one to stick!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D