Author Topic: beat track  (Read 4781 times)

Offline meman

Re: beat track
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, »
Bass and snare drum are so dominant in most songs that I always use the "frequency spectrum" tool under add-ins. It gets me at least 90% there, then I just go back and clean out all the strays and fill in any missed beats. I have a red and white border around most of the yard...always trigger red for bass, white for snare.

Heres and old thread with a bit more info
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Have fun with it!
Mike E.

Offline zwiller

Re: beat track
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, »
To me, a nice set of headphones are a must for sequencing.  They not only help you hear more info but cut down on the noise with missus etc.  Also I tend to play the music a bit louder than the average fella.  Helps me get in the zone.  Now if you're trying to listen to music and tap notes to the beat you're probably too slow and behind the beat.  Block out lyrics and other stuff and BECOME the beat.  I probably tap the keyboard pretty dang hard if you saw me when I am doing this.  Think MORE COWBELL! 

Anyway, I think it is really worthwhile to learn this technique.  After you learn setting up your beat, you can move on to sequencing musical parts and sections by tapping similarly.   I usually limit myself to 4 keys at one time using both hands.  Now, when you do this you will not only improve the groove of your sequences but they will not take long to sequencing at all.  I probably had 90% of this one done in a couple hours: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Did you happen to notice most all lights are in groups of 4 or 8.  Nearly all music is comprised of 4 beats per section (4/4)  4 keys, 2 hands...  Coincidence???

Lastly, if you really just can't groove, don't sweat it.  Just go abstract and design some neat looking effects at random.  I've seen some really cool examples of this. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, by zwiller »
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."