Author Topic: Controlling and programming a Smart String show. How?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline sittinguphigh

I sure this is old hat for most. But this the first time using smart strings.

I'm waiting for parts and a tool for now. Thought I get started on my programming.

Is there a step by step procedure how to interface Vixen Version 2.1.1.0 and SS Setup Utility?

Can you program your show without having the smart strings together yet?

What is Vixen ver 2.1 Pixelnet output plugin (Put this file in the /plugin/output folder) Updated 7-10-2011 all about and if I need it how do I set it up?

Sorry. I sure some there is a (how it is done) show programming instructions on smart strings just haven't found it yet?

Watched the videos RJ put together. Looks like you can't program a show without the physically having smart strings put together. Yes? no?

Thanks

Mort

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, by sittinguphigh »
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Controlling and programming a Smart String show. How?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, »
Yes you can program your show without any hardware.
But you have to know how you plan to setup the SSC (Smart String Controller(s)) before you can setup Vixen.
Example:
How do you plan to configure the SSC? (Individual Pixels, 3 Channel String, Hybrid) - This effects how many channels you need to add to Vixen
How many nodes per SSC? - This along with the above question determines the number of channels needed.
Real world example:
Ok I decided to configure my SSC with hybrid mode and 50 nodes. Now I know that I have 50 * 3 + 3 = 153 channels per SSC
If I decided to use Individual mode with 50 nodes than it would be 50 *3 = 150 channels per SSC
or if I decided to use 3 channel mode that its just 3 channels per SSC (number of nodes does not matter)

Now I know the number of channels I have per SSC and I am using 4 SSCs so its 153 * 4 = 612 channels
So I create a new sequence with 612 channels to handle just my 4 SSCs
Layout of those channels would be like:
Channel 1 - SSC-1 - Red-Hybrid
Channel 2 - SSC-1 - Green-Hybrid
Channel 3 - SSC-1 - Blue-Hybrid
Channel 4 - SSC-1 - Red (node1)
Channel 5 - SSC-1 - Green(node1)
Channel 6 - SSC-1 - Blue (node1)
Channel 7 - SSC-1 - Red (node2)
etc, etc etc
Channel 154 - SSC-2 - Red-Hybrid

As you can see this is a lot of work to setup. So I wrote a program that I just enter the required info (Channels  needed, # of SSC, Nodes per SSC and SSC mode) and it creates a blank sequence with all of the channels setup. Its in the wiki software section You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and poorly named Vixen Seq Builder VSB. There is a video or two how to use it.

Vixen 2.1 Pixelnet Output Plugin - what is it? well you have used plug-ins before and maybe you didn't realize it. The Enttec Pro DMX is a plug-in. Its just a piece of software that allow tells the (computer/vixen) how to talk to a certain hardware. When you flash the Lynx USB Dongle with pixelnet firmware you really are changing the dongle to a different hardware. So now Vixen doesn't know how to talk to it. That is why a different plug in is needed. So you must download the plugin - open up the zip file and copy the dll file to your Vixen sub folder called plugin/output. Once its there then you can go in Vixen and select the new output type Pixelnet and set its configuration (start and end channels and com port). Just like you did with the Enttec Pro DMX plugin.

So yeah setting up Smart Strings takes more work and thought but in the end you have bright brilliant colors and almost any color you want.

I hope that helps some

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Controlling and programming a Smart String show. How?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, »
Many questions ... Most already answered elsewhere, but ill try to address one of them for you.

The ss setup utility does not talk to vixen or any software for that matter.

The smart string setup utility is for programming the ssc only.   It allows you to program the ssc to control (n) nodes of (x) type and in (y) mode, starting at channel (z).  It is important that you only connect the same type of ss items to the ssc that you have programmed the ssc to control.

(n) is typically 1 - 128   

(x) is what type of ss item you want to control (nodes, modules, flex strip, etc.) with this ssc

(y) is usually string mode (3ch controls all),
     node mode ((n)x3 pixelnet ch) or
     hybrid mode ((n)x3+3 pixelnet ch)

(z) sets the starting pixelnet channel

Ssc = smart string controller

So you end up with a ssc which when connected to a ss hub, will respond to control on pixelnet channels set up by this ss utility and control ss items of the the type you specified.   

The minimal test setup would be one ss item (node, module, strip) attached to one ssc.

The ssc would be attached to a ss hub which is powered up and connected to your computer and the dongle.

The software you use, in this case vixen, only talks to the dongle and must be configured for pixelnet.

I'll let other attempt to answer your other questions and perhaps clarify my post if needed.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, »
One other thing when programming the SSC that no has mentioned is the direction.  When I set up lights of my house gutters last year I just blindly programmed them all in the forward direction, but once I started to think about actual placement of the SSC pipe bomb and the lengths of cat5 needed I realized that I needed to program some of the SSC in the reverse direction.  Just another item that can be easily over looked.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, »
I programmed some of my strings in the forward direction, and some in the reverse direction.

Then in LSP when you add the controllers and draw the lights in the sequencer, I reversed the direction on some of the strings based on where they will be on my house to match what I had done when programming the SSC. But that gave me a "double" reverse, which wasn't what I wanted.

I had to go back into the SSC utility and reprogram them all in the forwards direction to work with LSP correctly since you can't go back (AFAIK)
into LSP and change the direction of the strings after first setting them up.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, »
Wondering if reverse direction would be needed on a horse?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, »
Direction of the smart strings nodes. How does that change things. Is that were the nodes start coming off and on? Like running light?

Most of the lights will be set to a section of the tack.
Reins
front cinch
Rear cinch
Three separate lopes around just below the saddle
Rear breeching and breats collar will all be one
I may have small stars at locations around me horse serarated by blank wire.

Most of these will like act as a separate channels between them blank wire.
The breast collar/rear breeching line can be used for channels or a continuous Line .

Here is a picture example of the tack. But I will have a rear cinch.

This keeps the amount on wire down and controllor space down. Space is a commodity.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, »
The direction determines which way the nodes are numbers 1 - ??

So in forward (normal direction) the first node is number one
In backwards the last node is number one

The normal example is a long line of lights across the roof line. With two SSCs in the center

ooooooooooooooooo-SSC-1  SSC-2-ooooooooooooooooo

In this setup SSC-1 you would want it in backwards direction so the far left is node number 1
SSC-2 would be in forward direction and the node closes to the SSC is node number 1

How that effects the layout on a horse I have no clue.

Rick R.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, »
Well Rick. So your saying the smart string lights will only run in one direction.
So if I wanted the smart string lights to run from one end to the other I would have to pick from were they start and finish by starting from the 1 st or the 128th node.

So I take it that you can't reverse the smart string back and forth with a run?

Both sides of the horse have to light up the same way at the same time.
You can only see one side of the horse at a time.
But the watchers on boths sides of the horse.

Lets say the reins I use 50 nodes. 25 nodes each rein. That will be one lighted section. But I will be able to play with that section. All the lights come on at once, Colors, running and any thing else I wish to.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, »
Of course I have no SSC built or working but I think what he's saying is in relation to where your controllers are the direction would be such that it would make it easier for sequencing as it relates to the effect/what your doing on the house. I don't think it would limit you in anyway as to wiping back and forth etc.

I believe that why he showed the diagram that he did.

Leon
Leon

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, »
Wow I didn't say that at all

This is why I didn't mention the direction setting to begin with because I knew it would confuse things. Like Leon said its to help in the ease of sequencing the show on your computer. Once you start sequencing you can do anything you like with the nodes.

Rick R.