Author Topic: Home Depot fixture $5.88  (Read 8147 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Home Depot fixture $5.88
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, »
What was wrong with them?  I'm tempted to buy one and just see how it works.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Home Depot fixture $5.88
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, »
I have two and they work fine. I had to tweak the heat sink ever so little. They work as well as last years model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, »
Thanks. 

I just got one tonight and the heat sink seems to fit rather good.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, »
Has anyone used the HD lights?  Did they work properly?

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Home Depot fixture $5.88
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, »
I didn't have time to build my aethers but the size was perfect

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, »
They have a lot of them in stock now.  I was thinking about getting them just because it is easy to get them.  I'm just concerned about the heat issue.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, »
If they're the same one's in my link, I used them for 2 and have no issues.  Truthfully, the heat sink fit better in these than the northern tool fixture I used for those I made last year.  Not sure what you mean about "the heat issue".   

I might grab a few since I plan to add more aethers next year.  Thanks for the heads up.  They still $5.88?
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, »
Note,

Please do not use plastic cases. The metal of the case is a big part of the heatsink. You will run your led to hot and shorten it's life by a large amount. I do not know if any of the cases you guys are posting are plastic but if so I recommend you do not use them.

RJ

I'm acutely aware RJ was concerned about plastic cases when he said this.  But I just wanted some real world use from someone with the HD ones and they are not having issues that might be associated with heat.

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Home Depot fixture $5.88
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, »
These are in my area. Might get two for next year. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sebastian from California

Offline zwiller

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, »
Note,

Please do not use plastic cases. The metal of the case is a big part of the heatsink. You will run your led to hot and shorten it's life by a large amount. I do not know if any of the cases you guys are posting are plastic but if so I recommend you do not use them.

RJ

I'm acutely aware RJ was concerned about plastic cases when he said this.  But I just wanted some real world use from someone with the HD ones and they are not having issues that might be associated with heat.

You just missed it...  ;)  They're aluminum.  See pic on first page. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, »
I knew they were metal casing, that's not really my question or issue.

RJ designed this based on Northern Tool .  The Northern Tool might have a larger size, thicker metal, better heat dissipation, etc.  I don't know and I bet no one one here does AND more importantly knows how each one of those factors might affect the Aether.  So the best way to test the change in design (new HD case) is to test it.

Testing it involves putting it in a HD case, and seeing if there are problems. 

So the question remains, has anyone used the metal HD casing and had problems with the Aether failing because of a change in design.

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, »
I am using these in my show now with success
Sebastian from California

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Home Depot fixture $5.88
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, »
I use the HD case for two years and I have zero issue. I also use them all year round. Including our hot New Mexico summers. I use them as yard lights on the house. I would say they will be fine.

Offline meman

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2012, »
So the question remains, has anyone used the metal HD casing and had problems with the Aether failing because of a change in design.

For the past two years folks have use similar housings sold by Northern Tool, Home Deport, Lowes and Harbor Freight.
I personally have 4 Harbor Freight & 4 Northern Tool.
No one has had any issues performance wise that I'm aware of. The only issues were that some of the heat sinks had to be bent a little more to fit down low enough in the case. The concern here was to provide enough room for the LED lens and still let the cover tighten down properly to seal without breaking the glass.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2012, »
I use the HD case for two years and I have zero issue. I also use them all year round. Including our hot New Mexico summers. I use them as yard lights on the house. I would say they will be fine.

I couldn't think of a better test for heat...  But is DRY heat  ;D