Author Topic: middle led dislplay not working on express  (Read 1171 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
middle led dislplay not working on express
« on: August 14, 2012, »
3rd express built. no middle led display. i swapped the chip from a known working unit and swapped led displays to eliminate those two. it goes threw the power test and checks out but no center led display.  board seems fine, no solder bleed off between solder joints. dark out side so i had to take pictures in the garage. hope it helps.

thanks in advance

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: middle led dislplay not working on express
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, »
back side of the board
Florence, KY

Offline urthegman

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, »
I was JUST going to ask for pictures of the back!

Offline urthegman

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, »
It could just be the angle, but in the first picture of the back of the boards, in the upper right corner under the two traces that are at a 45 degree angle, it appears that a .1uf cap hasn't been soldered.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, »
Looks like you are missing the 2700 cap bettwen the LED and the large chip to the right.  The board will still work, you just loose the middle LED.  The part is small and often missed.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, »
that is why i am so glad you guys are all here to help us rookies with our simple mistakes. thanks mickpat, that was definately missing and was the problem. all good now. it's amazing how many times i looked over the back of that board and didn't see the two holes open with nothing in them. i have completed an active hub and 3 express kits since saturday and my optical nerve is on overload from staring at the little parts, even threw a magnifier.  at least i built one with no issues at all. 7 more express to build so let's see if i can get them right on the first try. thanks once again for all your help.

duane
Florence, KY