Author Topic: Testing a newly built Lynx dongle  (Read 1953 times)

Offline webbtech

Testing a newly built Lynx dongle
« on: August 19, 2012, »
How does one test the functionality of the Dongle? I do see a jumper with two pins on it marked test, but what is that really do? How do I know I built the thing correctly? Cant get it to talk to my Dlight  ac16 controllers. Using LSP 2.0

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Testing a newly built Lynx dongle
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, »
Is your D-Light board running the Open Firmware?

Are you moving the signal lines from 4&5 to 1&2?

I run a lot of D-Light boards with a Lynx dongle. It works.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Offline webbtech

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, »
Yes, have the new dmx chips installed and a cross over...the only issue I seem to have is com port. For what ever reason I dont seem to SHOW enough ports. 1 and 4  3 and 5 show in use but I dont know where they are in use either.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, »
Did you install the FTDI drivers (found in the wiki software section)? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The jumper pins on the dongle don't do anything. The firmware was never updated to use them.

In windows you need to open up the device manager (xp = control panel, admin tools, computer management - Win7 go to start, Devices & Printers and look for the FTDI device) See what device is using what port

or go to the wiki software page and grab the FTDI Com Port List program

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline webbtech

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, »
Sorry I did mention that I do have the correct drivers.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, »
I did have some issues initially setting up the DMX addresses in LSP with the AC16's upgraded to DMX.

Here's the details:

I had to also flip the signal lines 4&5 to 1&2, but just flipping 4&5 to 1&2 didn't work for me. I also had to flip 1&2 to 4&5 as well to make it work.

Here's how I set up the addresses of the DMX AC16's:

On the first hub, I have 15 LED Flexstrips, and a single universe of DMX broken out. My two AC16's have been upgraded to DMX with the new chips so they can "receive" DMX natively from the first Hub.
So the connection is:

PC->Cat 5 -> Ethernet Hub->cat5-> Etherdongle -> cat 5 ->PixelNet in -> Smart String Controller -> Led Flexstrip

Also connected on the 1st Hub is -> Cat5 (from DMX output on the Hub) to Input on the 1st AC16 - > cat5 to 2nd AC16
Now remember that that the output from the Hub to the AC16 will need the cable to swop over a couple of the connections e.g.

I had to make the cross over cable as well, that was pretty straight forward, I had to swop pin 1 to pin 4, pin 2 to pin 5.

Pin 4 to pin 1 and pin 5 to pin 1 (you only need to make one cable on the input side of the 1st AC16, then just daisy chain the rest)

First DMX AC16 is programmed address starting at 3898 in LSP and end address 3913 (e.g. 16 channels)
Second DMX AC16 is programmed address starting at 3914 in LSP and end address 3929

Physical addresses of my AC16s (what ID and channel assignments programmed into the AC16s) are:

The first AC16 Controller I set to DMX address 314, and the second AC16 Controller I set to address DMX 330
(remember to set the DMX jumpers on the Hub)

All works well for me using DMX now

Offline webbtech

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, »
Here is a map of my system. Maybe I am missing something...(more likely in my head) Look it over for me.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, »
Whats your crossover cable doing, just swapping wires to accommodate the LOR DMX standard?

Does the d-light DMX use standard DMX wiring, the LOR standard (for DMX) or something else?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline webbtech

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, »
Thats all a good question. I was told I need a cross over cable. The standard didnt work. Currently the cross over doesnt work either.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, »
Here is a map of my system. Maybe I am missing something...(more likely in my head) Look it over for me.

Yep that's about right, I'm using the Etherdongle, but I've also done it with a DLA USB dongle.

Now the cross over cable in your diagram needs to (I don't believe a standard cross over cable will work, you need to make a custom cable):

Swop pin 1 to pin 4, pin 2 to pin 5 (some say that only the 1 to 4 and 2 to 5 need to be swopped, but I couldn't get that to work)

I also had to:

Pin 4 to pin 1 and pin 5 to pin 1
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, by peteandvanessa »

Offline webbtech

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, »
So this does not use a standard cross over?  OMG really?  This is starting to make more sense.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, »
Here's the wiring diagram link:

Here's the one I used to wire my "swop over cable"

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, by peteandvanessa »

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, »
And read this thread here on how to set up your DMX AC16:

If you run into issues or it doesn't work, PM me and I'll try and help you get it set up.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, »
And just to clarify, to set the addresses of you AC16 DMX controllers you will need to do that with the D-Light Dongle. After it's all set up, then you can move to the DLA dongle to get it to work with LSP.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, »
So this does not use a standard cross over?  OMG really?

RIGHT

You basically swap wires 1 and 4 when going from standard DMX to LOR (and D-light cloned LOR) or back.

I bought a couple of those ittle jacks at home depot for a cat 5 outlet and just wired it myself ... they are like $1 each
and makes the creation of your own cable very trivial.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]