Author Topic: First Bobcat Build - Need updated manual  (Read 8970 times)

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
First Bobcat Build - Need updated manual
« on: August 26, 2012, »
Am wondering if anyone has the new updated pics Night Owl provided a little while back?  I just completed my servo board and have noticed many differences from the manual and what I have!  I have powered it up but have no lights.  When I plug in a servo, I get the initial power cycle but cannot control from Vixen.  I have the jumper in place to power both the board and the servo from one supply just for test purposes.

One big question I have is the (+) for the LEDs, top or bottom hole?  I assumed bottom because the track was going to the resistor (which is probably wrong!).  I have programmed the PIC and I have attempted to set the start channel using the configuration tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
- Mark

Offline n1ist

Re: First Bobcat Build - Need updated manual
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, »
You have the LED correct; top pin is ground (near the flat line on the silkscreen).  Bottom pin is the anode, connecting to the resistor.
/mike

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, »
So Mike, with all that I have done, where should I begin troubleshooting?  I checked my solder joints, no stray solder causing a short.  Based on one of RJ's videos, I removed all of the chips and still saw no power light.

Ugh  >:D
- Mark

Offline n1ist

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, »
A few things to check:

Do you have the jumper on the left side of the board in the WIRED position? 
Is the DMX cable plugged into the left (DMX IN) jack?
Using a meter, check for 3.3v between pins 2 (positive) and 3 (ground) if the programming header?  Pin 1 is the left one, closest to the PIC.

I will have to check the code, but I think the LEDs are error (red) and data (green)

/mike

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A few things to check:

Using a meter, check for 3.3v between pins 2 (positive) and 3 (ground) if the programming header?  Pin 1 is the left one, closest to the PIC.

I will have to check the code, but I think the LEDs are error (red) and data (green)

/mike

Thanks Mike, I have a few of the answers, but am traveling right now and will need to obtain the other when I get back.  I know the jumper is on wired and the cable IS plugged into DMX In as stated on the PCB (I actually tried it in both just to make sure!!).  I will have to check the voltage on the ICMP Header.  I was able to program the PIC through this port does that matter or will all the voltage come from the programmer?
- Mark

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, »
A few things to check:

/mike

Mike, I checked for 3.3v at the header and it is not there.  I have voltage coming into the board and at the servo pins but not at the header.
- Mark

Offline n1ist

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, »
Following the schematic (it's in the WIKI), power comes in at the power connector, goes thru the single supply jumper, diode D1, and the LD1117 regulator.  From there, the 3.3v is distributed around the board.

Using your meter, check the middle and right lead of the regulator.  The middle (and metal tab) is the 3.3v output and the right lead (when looking at it with the leads down and the writing visible) should be your supply voltage less about 0.4V due to the diode.

If pin 3 shows no voltage, check the single supply jumper and D1 - if D1 is in backwards, it will block the power.  You can jumper around D1 to check; it's job is to protect the board if you hook power  up backwards.

If pin 3 shows voltage but pin 2 doesn't, it's either a bad regulator or 3.3v is shorted to ground somewhere on the board.
/mike

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, »
OK - I have 3.3 on one pin and supply voltage on the other.  I have 3.3v at the ICSP header on pins 1 and 2.  I have reflashed the PIC, I have jumpers set to: Run, Wired, Terminate, and Single Supply.  Supply in wired in at L+.  I have supply voltage on pins 2 and 3 of the servo header.  I checked for voltage on both sides of D1 and it is present.  I have programmed the board using the Servo Config tool from the WIKI.  I am connected into the left RJ45 which is DMX In.  I am looping off of an LE to verify DMX out as they both have the same start channel.  Nothing is happening on the Servo Board.  No lights, the servo hiccups every so often when I run the program (just fade up and dn to get some sort of reaction)  The servo works cause I tried it on an SSC-32 I already had.

What am I doing wrong????  All my other boards are working fine!!

Thanks in advance
- Mark

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, »
It sounds like some pictures may be required.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, »
It sounds like some pictures may be required.

Here you are - Thanks for looking!

**  Also noted on this build is that the regulator that came with this build is a LD33CV rather than the LD1117 that is shown on the Mouser list and the schematic.  Does that make a difference?  I AM outputting 3.3v from that unit.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, by mkozik1 »
- Mark

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, »
Have one more question on this front - I have tried to reprogram the PIC and continue to get a fail on the verify.  Cannot tell if it fail on the initial program cause I cannot expand the little window.  Noticing that most other devices have a different firmware for the Pickit 2 and Pickit 3.  Is that the case here as well and I am just not finding it in the WIKI?  And of course, the question, can this PIC be flashed using a Picket 3?

Thanks,
- Mark

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, »
What do you mean different firmware for the Pickit 2 and Pickit 3?  Each device has it's own firmware and it's the same regardless of the programmer being used.  Any PIC that we use here can be flashed wih the Pickit 3 but you need to make sure that the Pickit 3 has been updated with the correct firmware and that you select the correct PIC from the dropdown list.  The Pickit 2 was very good at identifying the chip it was connected to but the Pickit 3 isn't.  I would also recomend using the flash utility program on the WIKI instead of MPLAB.

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, »
So I guess it is just the check sums that are different then? 

I AM using the utility from the WIKI and not MPLAB. 
- Mark

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, »
That is correct.  The two units seem to calculate the checksum differently.  For a while, the Pickit 3 wasn't doing it at all.

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, »
I noticed the WIKI does not show the jumper settings for the cradles for the Servo Controller.  Do you happen to have those?  Maybe I'll try to program the PIC off the controller?  Any other ideas of why it is failing?

Thanks,
- Mark