Author Topic: First Bobcat Build - Need updated manual  (Read 8973 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: First Bobcat Build - Need updated manual
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, »
I don't have that kit so I don't know what the settings are.  Make sure that the Pickit 3 itself has the correct firmware.  MPLAB can do that for you.  Then make sure that you have the correct PIC selected from the drop down list.  If you pick the wrong PIC, it will attempt to write to and read from the wrong locations which will of course fail.  Also make sure that the Pickit 3 is plugged into the ICSP header correctly.  As simple as it sounds, sometimes it gets plugged in wrong. You may also have it just read from a PIC and see what it does.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, »
I have checked each of those items.  If the Pickit is placed on backwards it tells me there is no device detected.  Attached is the screen that shows up.  I have reinstalled the software, re-downloaded the firmware and tried multiple times with power applied and not applied to the board, each with the same results.  I'm stuck !!
- Mark

Offline caretaker

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, »
Not sure if this will help but I was trying to program some pic's yesterday for another project and kept getting failed from memory errors so I shut down the PicKit3 program and unplugged the PicKit3 the plugged it back in and when i started the program I selected "/mclr" under the power selection and then it worked. Also if you have a adapter boards from J1sys thne try programming on the correct one of those, I have a Aether II that had a stubborn ISCP header and no matter how many times I re-soldered it it programming the chip on board wouldn't work.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, »
Not sure if this will help but I was trying to program some pic's yesterday for another project and kept getting failed from memory errors so I shut down the PicKit3 program and unplugged the PicKit3 the plugged it back in and when i started the program I selected "/mclr" under the power selection and then it worked. Also if you have a adapter boards from J1sys thne try programming on the correct one of those, I have a Aether II that had a stubborn ISCP header and no matter how many times I re-soldered it it programming the chip on board wouldn't work.

Jeff,

I would try this except I do not have the jumper settings for the servo controller, do you?

Thanks,
- Mark

Offline caretaker

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, »
If your talking about the J1sys boards settings I am attaching them, it is the ICSP28 adapter using the "L" jumpers. 
Jeff Squires

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, »
If you're using the J1Sys adapters, the doc for the jumper settings is here:

-Mike

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, »
If your talking about the J1sys boards settings I am attaching them, it is the ICSP28 adapter using the "L" jumpers.

I Love that document!!  I could not find the servo in the WIKI chart but this tells you all of the specific chips. Guess if I had my head on straight I could have saved you all the trouble and looked over there myself!

Jeff - You win the BIG prize though!!  The /mclr box needed to be selected in order for the chip to accept the programming.  I tried it in the J1sys cradle and initially it continued to fail, I selected the /mclr and it took it like nobody's business!!!  Now I can control my servos.  Thank you soooo much!! 

I have one last question and that is the behaviors of the LEDs on the board.  Once the firmware was in properly and DMX connected, the green LED blinks.  When I unplug, that goes away whereas all other boards it stays solid.  Is this normal??  What is the red LED for?

Thanks again to all that have helped me through this one.  Only 10 more to build!!

- Mark