Author Topic: Re: PLEASE TELL ME I DIDN'T SCREW UP!(problem solved thanks to all of you)  (Read 7406 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
i originally wanted to go wit 3 colors on my leaping arches. i decided to change it to 2 colors and went into my profile to delete the UN wanted channels and colors. now it won't let me open the existing sequences. i even went back into the profile and put everything back the way it was and it still won't let me open the song. i hope i didn't screw it all up because i had about 50 hours of sequencing done with one song complete and had about 20 hours into wizards in winter and it was looking great. i hope  i can retrieve my work. please help if you can. i have attached a picture of what i am seeing in vixen when i try to open the song.

thanks
Duane
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
Re: PLEASE TELL ME I DIDN'T SCREW UP!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, »
This error occurs because somewhere in your profile or in your sequence the number of channels do not match what Vixen is expecting. This sometimes occurs if you have custom channel orders defined in your profile. You might try deleting any custom channel orders and select restore natural order. Then try opening your sequence again.

I recommend you make a backup copy of your files before making any major changes. This way you can always go back to where you were if something gets messed up.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, »
i went back into the profile and put everything back the way it was and it still isn't letting me into the sequence. i have the proper number of channels as well.
Florence, KY

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, »
Don't panic.  I've been in your shoes.  Stop saying hell too.   ;D 

IIRC this error stems from tweaking your profile with a sequence open.  Chances are you sequence is fine but your profile is off.  First, make a copy of your file and profile to use and fool with.  Usually an error like this is something stupid.  Output plugin channel count match profile?  Try copying the profile.  Try creating a new sequence with problem profile and vice versa.  I have successfully hacked many a problem like this and it usually is something like renaming profile, deleting old, creating new profile with old name, deleting profile and adding in windows explorer, etc. 

Worst case scenario I would post over at DIYC.  The wizards over there looked at the code and have successfully brought back some sequences I have slaved over.

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Don't panic.  I've been in your shoes.  Stop saying hell too.   ;D 

IIRC this error stems from tweaking your profile with a sequence open.  Chances are you sequence is fine but your profile is off.  First, make a copy of your file and profile to use and fool with.  Usually an error like this is something stupid.  Output plugin channel count match profile?  Try copying the profile.  Try creating a new sequence with problem profile and vice versa.  I have successfully hacked many a problem like this and it usually is something like renaming profile, deleting old, creating new profile with old name, deleting profile and adding in windows explorer, etc. 

Worst case scenario I would post over at DIYC.  The wizards over there looked at the code and have successfully brought back some sequences I have slaved over.

my apologies, i didn't realize i said it twice. i removed the words from my post.

yes the channel count matches. and yes the sequence was open when i tried to remove the 16 channels of blue arches. sad part is, i put the channels back and it was working but the channel order was off so everything else was off with it. when i tried re adjusting the channel order, it saved everything but now won't let me open it. i will copy and paste my original post in DIYC minus the 4 letter words of course, and see what they think i've done.

thanks
duane
Florence, KY

sjb

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, »
Not sure, but what about in the output plug-in. Is there not the amount of channels in there also. Could this be out of range?

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, »
original profile was 192 channels. i added a channel just to check and it put me at 193 so i know the channel number is correct. when i go into output pluggins it says 1-192. i also just tried to create a new sequence with the messed up profile and it won't let me. turns out i spend so much time in this forum, i haven't activated my account on diyc and i am waiting on the webmaster to reply so i can activate.
Florence, KY

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, »
While you're waiting, see if removing plugin/s from profile help.  Also, in explorer make a copy of profile if you haven't already and rename original and move to a location like your desktop and see if you can get into sequence after that. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, »
Duane,

Can you send me a copy of your profile file?
Leon

sjb

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, »
Here is a copy from DIYC. Hope it helps

Re: Error when opening sequences
First make a copy of both your sequences and the profile you are using.

Fist question. Are you using a profile?

I am going to assume you are. Did you delete any channels out of the middle. Not at the end of the natural channel order.

If you did it can be fixed.

Joel

Open a copy of the profile with notepad.
Look for the <Outputs>0,1,2 ... </Outputs> section.

I bet you see some -1s.
Fix the errors or just renumber from 0 to your channel count -1.
ie for 32 channels number from 0 to 31. No -1 and no duplicates allowed.
This will reset your channel outputs back to the natural order but this can be easily fixed once you have salvaged the profile.

The other gotcha is not to delete channels used by adjustable preview.
If you do just add the channels back into the profile.
Delete them from the preview.
Then you can delete them from the profile.

Wonder how I know these tricks.
I do not part easily with two days of work setting up my July4 shows.

Hope this helps.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, »
If possible, one from before as well as now. But if not just send me what you have. I'll take a look.

Leon
Leon

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, »
Leon, for some reason when i go into the profiles file on vixen, it says it's empty?  i also opened the sequence with notepad and there were no " -1 "  but the channels were listed as 0-191 for 192 channels with 0 being the first. at the end of the list this is what it said:

<DialogPositions>
        <PreviewDialog x="0" y="0" />
      </DialogPositions>
    </PlugIn>
  </PlugInData>
  <SortOrders lastSort="-1" />
  <Profile>christmas 2012</Profile>

that is the only -1 that i noticed.
Florence, KY

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, »
Leon, for some reason when i go into the profiles file on vixen, it says it's empty?

Dont use Vixen, Find the folder for your profiles under the Vixen directory in Windows and send me what you have. If you're trusting Vixen right now to show you whats in your profile, the fact that it thinks it's empty maybe part of your problem.

BTW, what is the current profile name supposed to be, from your last post I assume "christmas 2012".

If you mean that you tried to look at the profile file in notepad and theres nothing in it, then you may have lost your profile if you had one.

Here's to hopeing thats not the case.

Leon
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, »
Leon, for some reason when i go into the profiles file on vixen, it says it's empty?

Dont use Vixen, Find the folder for your profiles under the Vixen directory in Windows and send me what you have. If you're trusting Vixen right now to show you whats in your profile, the fact that it thinks it's empty maybe part of your problem.

BTW, what is the current profile name supposed to be, from your last post I assume "christmas 2012".

If you mean that you tried to look at the profile file in notepad and theres nothing in it, then you may have lost your profile if you had one.

Here's to hopeing thats not the case.

Leon

ok, i went to search programs and files , type vixen, when the file opens and i go to profiles it still says the folder is empty. it doesn't have any of my stuff in it. pictures or audio? i'm puzzled to that fact because i can open the shortcut for vixen on my desktop and everything is in it.

yes, christmas 2012 is the name of my profile. when i open it up under notepad, it shows everything. all the channels are there.
i'm not sure what i've done wrong. everything was working fine until i tried to eliminate channels in the profile i was using.

i appreciate your patience and help with this matter. i went ahead and started another profile to start again but i would really like to retrieve my work.

duane
Florence, KY

sjb

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, »
Not sure, but isn't the profiles and the picture and audio files copied into the "My Documents" folder under vixen. Again I am not sure, but I think I recall this. 

Steve