Author Topic: Re: PLEASE TELL ME I DIDN'T SCREW UP!(problem solved thanks to all of you)  (Read 7397 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: PLEASE TELL ME I DIDN'T SCREW UP!
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, »
Are you using Vixen 2.1.x or 2.5.x?

2.1.x puts everything in the vixen folder (i.e.: audio, profile, sequence, etc)

2.5.x put stuff in your my documents folder

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, »
i am using 2.1
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, »
Did you put vixen in more than one folder?

Reason I am asking is because earlier you stated that you did a search and the for vixen and the folder was empty (i.e. profile)
If you right click on the vixen desktop short cut and got to properties - shortcut tab does the search location match what it says for either Target or Start in fields?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline tbone321

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, »
The one question that I have is where is the profile.  From what I remember, if you create a show with a profile, don't you need the profile to open it?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, »
The one question that I have is where is the profile.  From what I remember, if you create a show with a profile, don't you need the profile to open it?

I think normally you can open up the sequence unless the attached profile is corrupted. It would be better to try to just rename the file (with vixen closed) and then see if the seq will open up and either deattach the bad profile or select a new one. Just my 2 cents

Rick R.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, »
i give up. I'm starting from scratch. what do i have to do to back these profiles and sequences up to prevent losing them in the future? this has been real aggravating considering all the work i have put in and lose it by pressing the wrong button at the wrong time. rick, i found the profiles by right clicking the icon. i renamed one and it wiped out all my profiles. when i open vixen now, my profiles that i had are gone. when i open a sequence, it shows the amount of channels but does not have my channel info. it really sucks because last night i went in and created another profile with 240 channels and put all my colors in and named 192 of them and now it is gone too. frustrated is an understatement at this point. i try to attach the profile folder but it won't let me here on the forum.

duane
Florence, KY

sjb

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, »
Duane, I know it is frustrating and a real pain in the arse, but if you hold on I am sure someone here will be able to help soon. What size was the file you renamed lastnight?

You can not attach folders to this forum, but you can attach files. I am not sure of your computer knowledge so if this is sounding a little derogatory (I do not mean it that way), but go into the folder and attach the file you renamed lastnight.

Once you have done this, please go back to this file on your computer and make a copy of it. Once you have it copied then rename the copy to "christmas 2012" and then hopefully this will bring us back to where we were before they were gone.

Rick is awesome at helping people out and we have all learned new stuff from exactly what you are going through. Just be patient.

Steve

Offline zwiller

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, »
Hang in there bro!  I too still think this can be fixed.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, »
I think it can still be recovered.  I have done the same thing you have done multiple times.  I know this will occur if you answer yes to the prompt telling you the (channel count does not match would you like to correct?) or something like that. I notice this more when compressing.  I do not compress anymore, I use Xlights.  The sequence really does not change, but the profile will ( mismatch channel counts were just created).  You can rebuild a profile and associate to an existing sequence.  You do not have to go and rename, but I do spend time to recolor them to make it work and test. Once you see it working I suggest you copy and paste your Vixen file to a thumb drive and remove the thumb drive from your computer. When you update your sequence just rename the Vixen file (Vixen 2.1_ Backup June_2012) to reflect the latest time or date. Copy and save it to your thumb drive with the different file name. Making sure you do not replace the previous versions.  I hold two separate Vixen files on my thumb drive an, which gives me two different places in time to recover if/when needed. I use portions of the back up files as needed. On your computer make sure you are only using one version of Vixen.  Sometimes people will make a copy of Vixen and place it on the desktop.  I think help with the issue has been offered and you are welcome to send me files also if needed.  I hope this is not too confusing?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, by onesmoothhead »

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, »
here ya go. not sure which is which at this point. they all look the same!!! lol
Florence, KY

sjb

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, »
Hey Duane

Not sure if this will work, but try downloading it and save it as the profile name you originally had (That is after you have renamed or copied your files to another directory first). I can not recall what the file extention should be (I believe you would save the text file as "Christmas2012.pro" if that was the profile name)

Let me know if it helped or it is still messed up.

Steve

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, »
I looked at duanes profile and notice it was not set to 512.  Is on the channel count.  If I remember correct on a usb dongle the channel counts must match.  Is this correct?

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, »
steve, do i have to convert the txt file to something else? do i just drag and drop it into the profile folder? i've made so many mistakes i just want to ask.
Florence, KY

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, »
I would rename it to test.pro

the import part is the .pro extension you can make the other part any name you would like as long as it doesn't duplicate something you already have.

Rick R.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, »
i renamed it and added the .pro and drag and drop it to the profile folder in vixen and it's still not showing in my profile list
Florence, KY