Author Topic: Re: PLEASE TELL ME I DIDN'T SCREW UP!(problem solved thanks to all of you)  (Read 7414 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: PLEASE TELL ME I DIDN'T SCREW UP!
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, »
in vixen under profile it's still showing as a txt doc not a .pro file. my other profile in the folder is showing a pro file
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I looked at duanes profile and notice it was not set to 512.  Is on the channel count.  If I remember correct on a usb dongle the channel counts must match.  Is this correct?

everything was working fine with 192 channels in the profile and output plug ins set 1 to 192. it was until i tried to delete 16 channels that were in the middle of the channel line up. honestly think the best thing for me to do is just add way more channels than what i will need, start over, that way if i need to make changes i can just activate and name  channels and disable the ones i don't need any more instead of trying to delete stuff. i have truly enjoyed all the work i have put in. these are just growing pains and something you can bet i won't do again, once i figure it out of course.

I JUST WANT TO THANK EVERYONE OF YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!!!

DUANE
Florence, KY

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
PLEASE TELL ME I DIDN'T SCREW UP!
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, »
I just move my unused channels to the back of the profile. I set my profile for 512. In the sort you can define a new order, just remember to save with a new name. It will then display in the sequence screen. Watch the YouTube videos at the Vixen link in the wiki. It will explain more.  Glad things are looking up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, »
in vixen under profile it's still showing as a txt doc not a .pro file. my other profile in the folder is showing a pro file

Make sure whenever you are doing this type of thing (adding / removing files to vixen's folders) that Vixen is not running.
If its still showing up as a .txt file then make sure you don't have a double extension on the file
ie: test.pro.txt

sometimes windows likes to hide known extensions.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
PLEASE TELL ME I DIDN'T SCREW UP!
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, »
+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, »
so, with all the aggravation, and click here and click there. i right clicked on the original Christmas 2012 profile in the vixen folder, see "restore to previous versions" low and behold, i was able to retrieve the data and some of my work. but now my profile i created with more channels is gone. lol. go figure. oh well. at least now i have a working profile with all my channels labeled and colored and my adjustable preview is back with all my colors drawn in. i think that is what was the most aggravating. entering all the channel info and colors and drawing it all out on the preview. the sequencing part is fun! thanks to all of you. i am going to go a head and add the rest of the available channels that way if i have any changes i can just put them on the end. i actually have 272 channels of lynx available and 1322 pixel nodes to play with. i am sure once i get all my sequencing done and go to add my pixelnet channels. i will be back here again whining and crying and kicking my feet! lol. thank you everyone for the work and time you put in to try and figure out my problem.

Duane
Florence, KY

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, »
well after 24 hours of torture and headache. I'M BACK!! 1OO%. i found all my work that i had put in with one complete song and my work from scratch on wizards in winter. can't say thanks enough to all of you for your help and for having patience for me. i am usually a very patient person but i was starting to lose it a little bit. now it's time to back all this stuff up right now!!!

duane
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

sjb

That's great news Duane.

As mentioned when something goes wrong it is a real kick in the gut and the infamous echo's start in your head ("Did you do a back-up" and the answer is always "No I did not do a back-up I was too busy") but we all learn and everyone on this forum has great ideas and most of all great solutions.

Biggest thing to remember is to do back-up and that we are all here to help each other.

Have fun.

Steve (from Edmonton)

Offline zwiller

Glad to read of your success!  Thanks to all those who pitched in.

I hope I am wrong, but I doubt this will the last time you will go through this.  Of course, now having a backup will help immensely. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Glad to read of your success!  Thanks to all those who pitched in.

I hope I am wrong, but I doubt this will the last time you will go through this.  Of course, now having a backup will help immensely.

i know your right on that one! lol in one of my other posts i mentioned how i would be back kicking and screaming when i start programming my 1322 pixel nodes and trying to insert them into my sequence! that should be another fun adventure. i now have 4 copies of my profile and sequences in different locations. thanks once again for everyones help.

duane
Florence, KY

Offline zwiller

Don't get me wrong, I like Vixen and love the price of the software, but 2.1 with RGB nodes isn't practical.  I spent a few hours fooling with a just 56 nodes on a window frame and basically gave up.  I switched to LSP earlier this year and still very much a newbie but it is much easier for RGB.  I am in no way affiliated with LSP but if you're attempting 1,000 nodes you really should at least try it before you learn Vixen further.  That way you don't have to unlearn it like I do after using it for years.  I am not kidding, LSP can do in seconds what takes hours in vixen and I am only scratching the surface.  It is a steeper learning curve than Vixen but I think it's worth it.  I think there is a 30 day free trial.   

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I did about 700 nodes last year in Vixen 2.1  Took some work, but not too bad.  Would have been even easier I had known about using vir files last year.  I also used hybrid mode so I could start by just doing whole string color changes and then go back play with facier stuff in a couple of the sequences.  Doing it in Vixen is not impossible and in my opinion not anymore difficult than learning LSP.  With Nutcarcker routines I think Vixen may not be to much trouble like last year.  I thought I grasped the LSP concepts, but I had way to much trouble trying to get my 2010 vixen sequences converted to 2011 LSP sequences and I finally gave up.  Will be back trying that conversion again with LSP 2.5 so I hope that will come about easier to me this year.  If starting from scratch I would tell folks to start with LSP.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

The problem with LSP now is that it is still way over priced and now has no clear future since the buyout.  You could buy it and go thru the trouble of learning it only to find out that it is a dead product.  The new version of Vixen is also very good with RGB and although it is probably not going to be ready for prime time this season, at least it has a future.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zwiller

I can tell you I am not easily impressed, but the LSP update from 2.0 to 2.5 makes me think they are not going away soon.  How long will it be here?  I don’t know, but I will not be surprised when Ray Wu decides to discontinue our gear.  ‘Tis life.

I grabbed the advanced LSP (8,192 channels) on sale for $200.  In the past LSP was on sale post blinky season.  Maybe it will be this year?  It WAS a huge purchase to me as I am a consummate cheap skate but I don’t think it was way overpriced either.  Before I bought it, I watched probably a dozen hours of video and did a ton of research and I found some things I really liked.  Later I started to realize how much time I could save over using Vixen.  It is slowly clicking, but I am already seeing the benefits first hand.  In all reality, the learning curve of smartstrings, etherdongle, an other rgb gear alone makes learning a new sequencing program less exciting. 

I really dig the homebrew factor and KC’s willingness to create and share Vixen.  In the future, I believe 3.0 will be a contender but I am concerned the same bugs that disappointed me (and started this thread) will continue in the future. 

Offline tbone321

The update from 2.0 to 2.5 is probably the reason that it was bought.  The problem is bought for what?  I would bet that it is going to become part of something else and when that happens .....   You paid $200 ON SALE and that is not the full channel count version.  To me, that is way over priced for a product that will help make my Christmas lights blink.  If it were around $150 for the full version I probably would have bought it myself but with prices IIRC, over $400 for the full version, that simpy wasn't gonna happen.  As for Ray, as long as he is making money, why would he discontinue it?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving