Author Topic: Lsp 2.5 may have just ended my season.  (Read 4231 times)

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
Lsp 2.5 may have just ended my season.
« on: August 27, 2012, »
I ran lsp 2.0 last year with out a problem. I decided this year I would upgrade to ver 2.5. Well yes the sequencer was more stable, but the scheduler had problems. After running the scheduler with just 102 channels and video output going, after awhile the music sounded like it was girgling and a window came up saying it had to close. Now when i tried to start the computer backup guess what now it wont even start, and all i am getting is a 3 red light flashes on the front and it beeps. So i guess it fried it i dunno.

Offline peteandvanessa

Re: Lsp 2.5 may have just ended my season.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, »
I've had issues with the 2.5 scheduler as well. Sometimes when it changes from one sequence to another, the lights would just stop, but the audio continued to play. Also I've noticed on some sequences, that the amount of memory that LSP increases as they are played back in the scheduler, once they get to about 1.3 to 1.4 Gig, LSP frees up/flushes the memory back down to 900M, during that free up/flush process the Audio burps (the audio comes out as garbled), after LSP has done this (it takes about 1/2 second the audio playback goes back to normal).

Ive report this bug to the developers.

Is that what your heard that you describe as girgling?

Not sure why your computer won't start up

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, »
I have a hp5100 slim running xp. When i power it up the a red led flashes and it beeps while flashing then the beeping stops and the led still flashes. Their is no video output or anything. The power supply and everything is running; i opened it up and everything looks fine. I thought maybe something worked its self lose or something. So i dunno. I am running my backup computer right now, and i am running lsp 2.0 on it and it is running fine.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, »
Sounds more like you have had bad timing. I hope you have everything backed up. What you described is one of the may ways a hard disk can just fail out of the blue. One day it boots fine the next day it won't. Many times without any warning at all, sometimes the system gets slower and slower on it's boot up.

When you did the upgrade you may have written to a sector of the drive that was failing and that could have created a chain of events that crashed your system.

You did want that new computer didn't you.  ;D

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, »
well i have a hp7100 i had for backup. I am geting it setup, and i loaded 2.0 on it.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, »
Count whether they are long or short beeps and the light flashes. Then look up online for your motherboard as the beeps and flasshes are a diagnostic that can give you a clue as to what the problem is.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, »
One thought is to put a new hard drive in the computer and reload Windows.  Then you can attach your old hard drive as a secondary drive.  Most likely you will be able to copy the files from the old drive to the new one.  Really rare for a drive to completely fail. 

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One thought is to put a new hard drive in the computer and reload Windows.  Then you can attach your old hard drive as a secondary drive.  Most likely you will be able to copy the files from the old drive to the new one.  Really rare for a drive to completely fail.

That is certainly a possibility, however notebook drives are a little more expensive that desktop drives. holland lights might also need a 'justification' for a new box. For what you could buy a external drive adapter for you could also buy several disk drives.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, »
When you consider "normal" PC failures, you can do some troubleshooting to locate the source of failure.
I have found disks to fail first, then memory to fail as a second cause.

You can disconnect your drives to see if you have a system that can boot -- at least to the point where it is looking for an operating system.  If you disconnect the drives you should also be back to access the bios screens and your system might even have some minimal diagnosics.

If you have a memory problem, you can look at depopulating memory to troubleshoot.  It works best if you depopulate in pairs -- if you have 4 dimms, remove one pair.  if it still fails restore the two that were removed -- and pull out the other two.

Power supplies are often a source of problems.  Try one of your smart hub power supplies to see if that helps.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline cmonday

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, »
The beeps and flashes are a trouble code, you can go to HP's website and look up the codes for your specific computer, sometimes the codes will point you in the right direction, sometimes they don't. You can try reseating the memory, and the hard drive, and if the cd/DVD is removable reseat that as well. Also test your power supply, I have seen them go bad and cause issues, also try booting up without the battery in the laptop.

Offline cmonday

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, »
Just realized you have a desktop, you can still look up the code and disconnect any peripherals that are not needed for boot up, cd/DVD, remove half the memory if possible , or swap the memory chips around, or just reseat it.  Or like was mentioned before try another power supply.

Offline Nightowlz1966

• I thought I had more extension cords
    • Christmas On The Creek
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, »
MY HP desktop which is an AMD 920 processor has done this several times over the last few years.
Get some more thermal paste and remove the processor and use canned air and clean out the socket
for it and clean the processor itself, add some more thermal paste and reinstall it.  Also while your in there
try cleaning out any dust on fans and so on, you might want to remove the memory as stated by someone
else and blow out the sockets and them memory also.
Once all that is done try rebooting.
The first time this happened to me I just knew I was going to have to buy a new computer but it has lasted 2 more years doing this 3 or 4 times
Brian Flanders
Sharpsburg Ga.
I Thought I Had More Extension Cords

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, »
Count whether they are long or short beeps and the light flashes. Then look up online for your motherboard as the beeps and flasshes are a diagnostic that can give you a clue as to what the problem is.

The beeps and flashes are a trouble code, you can go to HP's website and look up the codes for your specific computer, sometimes the codes will point you in the right direction, sometimes they don't. You can try reseating the memory, and the hard drive, and if the cd/DVD is removable reseat that as well. Also test your power supply, I have seen them go bad and cause issues, also try booting up without the battery in the laptop.

This is whats going on. The beeps and flashes are relaying a message after the POST. (Power On Self Test) The beeps and or flashes is a message telling you what the POST results are. Your computer will do this everytime it boots. You never noticed it before because the POST always passed before.

Leon
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, »
Ill try that.   I know this doesnt belong with this post, but on my windows 7 pc i can not get any output out of lsp 2.5. I have the sequence settup for lynx dmx, i have it on the right com when the window comes up, and i have the output selected. I optomize the sequence and click play and nothing. I can exit out of lsp 2.5 and go to start pattern, etc.... and i get output. So the dongle and driver is eliminated. I dunno what thats about.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, »
As I said before the best place to get the greatest level of LSP support is the LSP support forum.

Have you tried using the hardware test function from within LSP?