Author Topic: Happy Anniversary to me!  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Happy Anniversary to me!
« on: August 27, 2012, »
Well, its been a year in the forum and I've enjoyed the year a lot.
I think I've made some friends, and I've managed to keep myself busy with learning, tweaking, building, posting, and a lot of reading.

Over the course of 12 months I've built:
  • Aeon
  • USB dongles
  • EtherDongles
  • 4 Port Passive Hubs
  • 16 Port Active Hubs
  • SSC v1
  • SSC v2
  • DSCs -- not yet, but soon!
  • Combiners
  • Aethers IIs
  • Expresses
  • MR16s
  • TX/RX
  • EX/RX
  • Bobcat DMX Servo -- soon, anyway
  • Bobcat DMX Tester

The tree that I did last year was 40 strings of 85 pixels -- a 22-foot tall 3400 pixel tree.

The first year taught me a lot -- soldering was one part, but the importance of waterproofing will no doubt influence all my future plans!

Thanks to RJ, and everyone in the DLA forum for your help!!

At the same time I started with DLA -- I also got into the world of Coro.  (...and I think my coro work is only now just beginning!)  Last year I had 2 coro flakes with 50 pixels each, a big coro star with 9 channels and 130 nodes, and other pieces here and there.    This coming year will add more coro flakes and a bunch of singing monsters. 

So, I need to point out the creative work of David Moore and HolidayCoro.com as a big influence on what I've been able to do so far and where I plan to go next!

There have been some casualties along the way.  :'(  After the success of Lynx in last year's display, I found it necessary to show 8 LOR controllers the door.  Soon after, 2 CCRs were asked to leave as well.  LOR is no longer invited to my annual festivities, it was nice while I used it -- but, it was time fro it to end.  :)

LSP 2.x was also important last year...  but Matt Brown and xLights gets the hero's award for the quality and timeliness of his software.  I expect the new place of honor to be held by Sean Meighan and his Nutcracker software, btw!

My posting count has gone up over the year, it has been filled with many "welcomes to DLA" but I hope that I've answered half as many questions as I've had answered by others.  It may also take me 4 years for me to catch up with chrisatpsu...  but I think I can do it! :)

Anyway... I've had fun, and I hope that the fun will continue for quite a while longer!!  ...and thanks to the community for welcoming me over this past year.   <res.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
Re: Happy Anniversary to me!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, »
WOW!  You've done a lot since being here.  Happy anniversary to you.....
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, »
Great post!

Glad your having fun!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, its been a year in the forum and I've enjoyed the year a lot.
I think I've made some friends, and I've managed to keep myself busy with learning, tweaking, building, posting, and a lot of reading.

Over the course of 12 months I've built:
  • Aeon
  • USB dongles
  • EtherDongles
  • 4 Port Passive Hubs
  • 16 Port Active Hubs
  • SSC v1
  • SSC v2
  • DSCs -- not yet, but soon!
  • Combiners
  • Aethers IIs
  • Expresses
  • MR16s
  • TX/RX
  • EX/RX
  • Bobcat DMX Servo -- soon, anyway
  • Bobcat DMX Tester

The tree that I did last year was 40 strings of 85 pixels -- a 22-foot tall 3400 pixel tree.

The first year taught me a lot -- soldering was one part, but the importance of waterproofing will no doubt influence all my future plans!

Thanks to RJ, and everyone in the DLA forum for your help!!

At the same time I started with DLA -- I also got into the world of Coro.  (...and I think my coro work is only now just beginning!)  Last year I had 2 coro flakes with 50 pixels each, a big coro star with 9 channels and 130 nodes, and other pieces here and there.    This coming year will add more coro flakes and a bunch of singing monsters. 

So, I need to point out the creative work of David Moore and HolidayCoro.com as a big influence on what I've been able to do so far and where I plan to go next!

There have been some casualties along the way.  :'(  After the success of Lynx in last year's display, I found it necessary to show 8 LOR controllers the door.  Soon after, 2 CCRs were asked to leave as well.  LOR is no longer invited to my annual festivities, it was nice while I used it -- but, it was time fro it to end.  :)

LSP 2.x was also important last year...  but Matt Brown and xLights gets the hero's award for the quality and timeliness of his software.  I expect the new place of honor to be held by Sean Meighan and his Nutcracker software, btw!

My posting count has gone up over the year, it has been filled with many "welcomes to DLA" but I hope that I've answered half as many questions as I've had answered by others.  It may also take me 4 years for me to catch up with chrisatpsu...  but I think I can do it! :)

Anyway... I've had fun, and I hope that the fun will continue for quite a while longer!!  ...and thanks to the community for welcoming me over this past year.   <res.

Steve, i think one of your posts was the first i read when i joined this last February. I have always enjoyed your attitude , so willing to help and share. You and others like you are why i  made nutcracker free. It is the spirit of Christmas.

thanks
be well my friend...
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, »
congrats!!!   and you guys used to tease me about having a lot of posts in one year....   this guy beat me!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, »
YA both yap waaaaay to much  >:D
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, »
Grats Steve.  I was hoping to meet you at the Texas get together.  We need to make a point of having a get together one evening during the next meet in Houston. 

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, »
Grats Steve.  I was hoping to meet you at the Texas get together.  We need to make a point of having a get together one evening during the next meet in Houston. 

Kurt

Kurt,

We met, but i guess meeting me was not all that memorable.  ;)

you taught the wireless class at the academy, and I asked all of the questions that an instructor dreads -- the ones that take the class off-topic and appeal only to me. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, »
Kurt,

We met, but i guess meeting me was not all that memorable.  ;)

you taught the wireless class at the academy, and I asked all of the questions that an instructor dreads -- the ones that take the class off-topic and appeal only to me. :)

So that was you! I had you in 5 classes and you always looked totally different each time!  <fp.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, »
Well said Steve. Happy anniversary to you! May next year be even better!

Matt
Matt Brown

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Happy Anniversary to me!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, »
Happy anniversary Steve. May this year be better than the last.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, »
Happy Anniversary Steve,

I can say that I have not had the time to be AS productive as you, however, this group has inspired me to do far more than I thought I could.  Not only with the DLA "stuff" but reaching out even more with different devices such as the Arduino boards and others.  A whole lot of talent here and I am proud to be a part of it! 

Keep up the good work my Friend!
- Mark

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, »
So that was you! I had you in 5 classes and you always looked totally different each time!  <fp.

RJ

LOL
Leon

Offline bajadahl

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, »
Looks like I'm hanging out with the right crowd here in Austin... Congrats Steve

btw - you appear much older in person......  Your DIY experience level that is!!!  <res.  Of course you've done more in a year then some of us could do in 5 years.

Alan

Offline Steve Gase

Re: Re: Happy Anniversary to me!
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, »
btw - you appear much older in person....
I'm gonna think on this one.

It has been a while since I was last carded for beer.