Author Topic: Select Button Does not Work  (Read 2804 times)

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
Select Button Does not Work
« on: September 01, 2012, »
Finished my second LE today and for some reason, when I press the select button, LED16 turns on but nothing else happens.  Mode and Reset are working fine.  I hae checked my traces and verified that O have all of the components in place.  I have reprogrammed the PIC.  The start address is defaulting to 001 and I am able to run a test program using xLights and Vixen. 

Also the Data Link LED is on even when DMX is not connected.

Ideas?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, by mkozik1 »
- Mark

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Select Button Does not Work
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, »
closely compare your second unit to your first unit. look for direction on the parts (polarity issues), reflow the solder on anything you think questionable.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, »
select switch in backwards?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, »
firmware loaded?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, »
If the channel light is coming on when you push the button, it rules out the button being bad, the buttom being in backwards, or solder joints on the button.  It is either one of these or multiple of them.

Pin #26 (third down on right side of pic chip (28 pin long chip in middle))  is not soldered / pin is bent / socket pins is not coming through board because it is bent and so is not soldered.

Or you firmware is corrupt and needs reloading.

That is where I would look.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, »
If the channel light is coming on when you push the button, it rules out the button being bad, the buttom being in backwards, or solder joints on the button.  It is either one of these or multiple of them.

Pin #26 (third down on right side of pic chip (28 pin long chip in middle))  is not soldered / pin is bent / socket pins is not coming through board because it is bent and so is not soldered.

Or you firmware is corrupt and needs reloading.

That is where I would look.

RJ

OK - I re-downloaded the hex file from the WIKI and flashed the PIC.  Still the same issues.  I tested continuity from pin three to the test point on the track and that is good.  I swapped chips from the LE that is working with this one and the channel followed (so I know it is reading it) yet the same issues with the select button!

Sorry to be such a pain!!
- Mark

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, »
Put you meter probe on the pin of the chip with it in the socket so you are touching the top of the chip. If you have connection to there i am lost.

All the select switch does is ground that pin on the pic chip. It is multiplex with ch 16 so it also triggers that channel so we know the switch is working. But your pic is not see this for some reason. Got to be not connected to the pic or bad pic. But you ruled out bad pic chip already by swapping it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, »
Put you meter probe on the pin of the chip with it in the socket so you are touching the top of the chip. If you have connection to there i am lost.

All the select switch does is ground that pin on the pic chip. It is multiplex with ch 16 so it also triggers that channel so we know the switch is working. But your pic is not see this for some reason. Got to be not connected to the pic or bad pic. But you ruled out bad pic chip already by swapping it.

RJ

Yup - Have continuity to the chip pin itself seated in the socket!! 

So ....  The board appears to work outside of the fact the Data Lint light is on with no DMX connected and I cannot use the select button.  Granted I want to get this right, but is there a way to set the start address without using the on board buttons?  The configurator requires the board to be placed in PRG mode which I cannot do at this point!
- Mark

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

Might be a pain, but from what I understand, you could use the known good unit to set the start address, and then swap the pic.

You might, if possible, post pics of both sides to allow more eyes to look for any issues.

Keith in Marietta.  Gotta get the Georgia lights working...lol...
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

Might be a pain, but from what I understand, you could use the known good unit to set the start address, and then swap the pic.

You might, if possible, post pics of both sides to allow more eyes to look for any issues.

Keith in Marietta.  Gotta get the Georgia lights working...lol...

Nice to see another Georgian on here!!  I did what you suggested and moved the PIC to the good board and set the address (was trying to avoid that at the advice in other areas here, but....).  All is fine on that front.  I tested the new start address and everything appears to be working fine except the Data Link light and the select button.  I am adding pics for your review.  I sure hope it is something simple!!  I am not an expert solder person, so no making fun of the work!!!

Thanks for your time.
- Mark

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, »
A few pins on the PIC on the upper right hand side look like they could use a little more solder.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rm357

Select Button Does not Work
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, »
Hmmm,

Solder job looks good, nothing to be ashamed of there.

I'm wondering if the mode switch might be in backwards. I'm not sure how the board would behave, but try this:

Use the mode switch to get the board into address mode for the 100s digit. Mash and hold the mode button, while holding the mode button, press the select key and see if any of the digits change.

Good luck.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, »
Well ..... Have an update here.  Just finished my third LE and when I first powered it up, all was behaving properly.  I could set the address, run through test mode, run some tests with xLights and Vixen.

Then, stupid me decides to flash the PIC with what is in the WIKI making sure all is at it's latest and greatest and now nothing.  When I power cycle the new board, no address and LED6 is on dim.  I reflashed yet again and the same outcome.  So, with that said, it is obviously something that I am doing here and not the electronics (like that was ever in question!!).

In flashing the PIC (guessing I never did the first one, just left it alone) I am using a Pickit 3 which I have used on (2) MR16's, my USB dongle and Bobcat Servo Controller and have had no problems thus far.  I am selecting PIC24FJ32GA002 from the drop down, importing the LE hex file from the WIKI and all looks like it is working just fine in the Pickit 3 program.  What am I doing wrong?
- Mark

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, »
Make sure that you are not using MPLAB.  That program can do some weird things to the PIC if you are not careful.  Try reading back from the chip and see what you get.  It may be clearing the chip but not writing to it.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, »
Make sure that you are not using MPLAB.  That program can do some weird things to the PIC if you are not careful.  Try reading back from the chip and see what you get.  It may be clearing the chip but not writing to it.

I am not using MPLAB.  I start by selecting the PIC from the dropdown, import the hex file, erase the PIC, verify it is blank, write and then verify.  All come back OK!  Do you happen to have the jumpers for the Pickit cradle thingy?  Maybe I will try to program the PIC off board?
- Mark