Author Topic: Select Button Does not Work  (Read 2802 times)

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Select Button Does not Work
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

Just for checking.  In case you're clearing the hex file.  Erase the pic, then import the hex file, and then write, without erasing.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline rm357

Select Button Does not Work
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, »
The dim led#6 is something we see a lot of. It is usually a bad firmware load - but re-flashing the pic usually fixes it...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Make sure that you are not using MPLAB.  That program can do some weird things to the PIC if you are not careful.  Try reading back from the chip and see what you get.  It may be clearing the chip but not writing to it.

I am not using MPLAB.  I start by selecting the PIC from the dropdown, import the hex file, erase the PIC, verify it is blank, write and then verify.  All come back OK!  Do you happen to have the jumpers for the Pickit cradle thingy?  Maybe I will try to program the PIC off board?
The PIC type, adapter type, and jumper selection is found here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, »
If you import the hex and then erase the pic you will have problems.  Always erase and then import.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, »
OK - Got the third LE to accept the firmware and is working just fine.  I reprogrammed the second LE and am still having the same issues I had before, Data Link light on dim and the select button will not work. 

Guess that is where the rookie comes in, I thought importing the hex file was just placing it in cache and the functions of read, write, verify, erase, blank check, all dealt specifically with the chip.  Thanks for everyone's help with this.  I'll continue to troubleshoot the second LE and will try not to bug ya'll!! 

Have a great LABOR DAY weekend !!
- Mark

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, »
You are not bugging us, this is why we are here. I just dod nothave a clue if the pin of the pic is being grounded when you push the button how it could fail to work if the firmware is good.

There is something we are missing here.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, »
You are not bugging us, this is why we are here. I just dod nothave a clue if the pin of the pic is being grounded when you push the button how it could fail to work if the firmware is good.

There is something we are missing here.

RJ

Where can I short it to on the board?  I am assuming it took the firmware as it reset the start address back to 001
- Mark