Author Topic: com port denied in express utility PROBLEM SOLVED. THANKS AGAIN  (Read 1625 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
trying to set up an express threw the express utility. when trying to use com port 2 it gives me a denial, see picture below. my dongle is set up on com port 2, when i run a sequence it works fine in adjustable preview. when i set up a practice sequence to test my channels, the dongle was communicating with the express fine. lights came on and dimmed when supposed to. but when i try to download an updated light list, it denies me as well as well as the denial for the com port when trying to update the express.

thanks

Duane
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: com port denied in express utility
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, »
right click on the exe file and select run as administrator

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, »

Rick R.

thanks, i will try that. also, you helped me threw a pic24 issue on an express a few weeks ago. you told me not to scrap the pic and check for programming first. thank you. once i figured out the pickit programmer, i re-programed that chip and it works fine. thanks for your assistance. will check under administrator in just a second on my next express set up and program.

duane
Florence, KY

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, »

Rick R.

i'm not sure what i'm not doing, i can not find an exe file? i find a set up file but not exe.
Florence, KY

Offline caretaker

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, »
Duane,

On your desktop where you have the icon to click to start the express utility right click on it and select "Run as Administrator" that should allow the XML file to be written to.
Jeff Squires

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, »
If Rick's suggestion doesn't resolve the issue, try turning off "User Account Control" (UAC).  It's in the User Accounts section of the Control Panel if you are running Win Vista or Win 7.

-Mike

Offline caretaker

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, »
While turning off the UAC is a quick fix it is not necessarily the best fix. It is better to change USER permissions for a program that is not working well with UAC on. How to change user permissions for programs is beyond the scope of this topic but can be learned by using your favorite search engine.
Jeff Squires

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, »
Duane,

On your desktop where you have the icon to click to start the express utility right click on it and select "Run as Administrator" that should allow the XML file to be written to.

i finally found it after a little digging. everything is working now. once again, thanks to all of you for helping me out.

Duane
Florence, KY