Author Topic: Stranded or solid wire for LED  (Read 6185 times)

Offline Night Owl

Stranded or solid wire for LED
« on: September 03, 2012, »
Did you all use stranded or solid wire to hook up the LED?  I have a couple of rolls of solid core 20 gauge hookup wire but I'm wondering if I should go out and get some stranded for this application.

Offline caretaker

Re: Stranded or solid wire for LED
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, »
I would use stranded as it is less likely to break when you are moving it around after soldering to the LED.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rm357

Stranded or solid wire for LED
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, »
Solid core is fine if it is not going to be moved much - like inside a frame or piece that will be stored as a piece. If you plan on breaking it down to store it, you should use stranded for the durability. Solid core is not going to stand up to a lot of flexing, and with the exposure to outside temperature swings, it is likely to get brittle and break when being rolled up for storage after only a couple of seasons.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, »
I think Night Owl is referring to the hookup wire used to connect the LED to the PCB during assembly.  There won't be any moving once it's built and the little movement need to route the wires to the PCB shouldn't be a big issue. Unless there's an electrical need for solid core, I would think it would be fine.

-Mike

Offline zwiller

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, »
Last year I used 20ga solid hookup wire for the led on 2 aether IIs and ran them near constantly in my show for the season with no problems, so I used it again on 2 more this year. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, »
Solid core wire is easier to solder, holds its position, and doesn't frey when inserted into the board.  The only disadvantage is that i doesn't like to flex much and will break if over flexed.  Since I really doubt that you will over flex it assembling the Aether and once assembled these wires will not be moving anymore, solid wire really is the way to go here.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, »
Thanks for the guidance.  Hopefully I can finish this, my first Aether, sometime today and get it running.  I have to see if I can find my old low voltage lighting transformer.  I replaced the outdoor lighting on my house years ago and I tend to be a packrat and keep everything that isn't broken.  I think I kept the extra wiring for the lights too.  Otherwise it will be another trip to Home Depot for me.   I wonder if the Halloween decorations are in yet  ;D 

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, »
The home depots near me don't do Halloween anymore but Lowes does and they have theirs set up since last week.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving