Author Topic: Stand Alone SSR4?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
Stand Alone SSR4?
« on: September 06, 2012, »
My manager at work has found out about my light display, and he is excited about it. He wants me to design and create a sign to put in the window of your logo and of an acronym we have. He wants them to be controlled with lights and be almost like a neon sign. I have the design of the signs and everything, but I don't know what to do about the controller. I only need 4 channels for each sign, and they need to be ran from an SSR, but it cannot be connected to a computer, any ideas?

Is there a way that I can program the Pic to run a 10 second sequence and loop itself over and over while it is plugged in? I can't have a computer sitting there running the signs.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

Thanks guys and gals!

Jesse
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline rm357

Stand Alone SSR4?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, »
All of the dla products are for personal, non-commercial use.

If you are making your own, the pic is just a general purpose micro-controller. If you can write code in C, writing a program to do what you want should be really easy.

If you just want cycling colors, there are some little $3 led controllers on aliexpress that are made for running RGB led strips and have a small remote...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Stand Alone SSR4?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, »
You might want to do a little research on using arduino.  there is information at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rm357

Stand Alone SSR4?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, »
Here is a link to the led controller I was talking about:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The 44 key remote version has more functions than the 24 key remote version and the two are not compatible...
You will also need a 12 volt DC wall wart or other power supply depending on the number of LEDs you want to use and of course, some dumb 12 volt LEDs or led strips.

---
If you are going to write your own software, you may want to look around at the various micro-controllers. Someone always chimes in with the arduino, but there are others as well. The biggest advantage to the arduino is that beginner developer kits are available at the 'shack (radio shack). Most of the others you will have to order...

If you have never written software before, it can be a challenge, but a rewarding one.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA