Author Topic: noob programming question  (Read 2083 times)

Offline lucky2710

noob programming question
« on: September 11, 2012, »
I am new to all of this and am just trying to get all of my ducks in a row. I just ordered all of my parts for the DMX Lynx USB Dongle. And I am in the coop for the lynx express but the current open coop doesn't come with the PIC programmed. SO When i get everything and it all put together I'm going to have to program it all. So I see that I can use a pickit2 or picket 3 programmer to get it all setup.

My question is does it matter which programmer i should buy? is the anything better about one over the other?
And also there are different versions of each available like pickit2 starter kit or development kit. ect. Which one will I need?

Thanks,
Tyler
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, by lucky2710 »

Offline peteandvanessa

Re: noob programming question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, »
Get the PicKit 3, since the PicKit 2 doesn't support some of the more advanced PICs we are using (e.g. PicKit3 supports a wider range of Pic and it supports programming of the Etherdongle chip, the PicKit 2 doesn't)

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, »
The Picket3 is the one you will want if you are going to go to SSC. You will also need it for the Eithernet Dongle. I own both, but I use the 3 more than my 2. I hope this helps. Look at the full kit J1sys.  I have it and you will need part of it for your PIC on the dongle. Link provided:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, »
Also, some of the members are willing to program picks for members, I'm not sure where the list of these members are but I'm sure someone will post the link.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

sjb

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, »
Here is the link from the Wiki

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, »
You should order a Pickit 3.  The price will just become a rounding error when you total up all your current and future investment in lighting fun and you will not regret it.  I wonder never use someone else to program my pics unless they lived close by.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, »
I fully agree with you.  With the amount of money most of us spend on lights and controllers, it makes little sense not to own your own programmer and if you decide that you want to get out of the hobby, you can sell it for pretty much what you bought it for.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline ChristmasattheY

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, »
Here is the link from the Wiki

Using others is a great way for support when things go wrong.  Also the knowledge others can share with you on what works and what doesn't.  Lucky for me I've got 2 people within 30 minutes that I can go to at a moments notice to get a PIC programmed.  Thats how this communtiy is. Ask and you shall receive.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, »
Nobody ever said not to get as much help as possible from the community here and in time, be one of the ones offering it to others but that has little to do with whether you have your own programmer or not.  If you only have a few piecs that need programming it's not all that bad but you will find that as we get closer to the season,  people will have less and less time to do things like programming chips for someone else when they have their own displays and family obligations to deal with.  Needing help with a board that doesn't work or with sequencing software is one thing but tying up someone elses time to flash a chip becase you are don't feel the need to buy a programmer IMHO is just rude.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, »
When I first started I did not want to invest to much in to quick. So, starting off I had some here program my USB Dongle and my first Express V5. That's what I started off with 2 years ago. This pass Christmas I added 6 more expresses and the came programmed with the coop back then. Just this past year I got my first pic programmer pick it 3 and it work great the first time I tried to use it and it still does. Anyways, just starting out and if you only have a say 4 that need to be programmed then you might see if someone can help and more than that I would suggest getting a pickit 3.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline lucky2710

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, »
Thanks for all of the replies. I will order my Pickit3 tomorrow. It's been crazy the past 48hrs so sorry for taking so long to get back to my thread. But I think ill just go ahead and buy the pickit3.