Author Topic: Any plans to add ArtNet to the EtherDongle?  (Read 2139 times)

Offline mmorlan62

Any plans to add ArtNet to the EtherDongle?
« on: September 12, 2012, »
I've noted a lot of pro DMX software includes ArtNet interfaces among their supported hardware.  Any plans to add support for ArtNet to EtherDongle?

Michael

Offline rm357

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, »
Since all DLA hardware is for non-commercial use, I don't know what advantage there would be to add another protocol.

Most of the small to medium sized theatrical control systems I have worked with would not not be a good fit for the kinds of things we are doing with the lights and music anyway...

Is there a specific program you have in mind that does not support e1.31?

I cant speak for RJ, but as busy as he is with the conductor and other projects, I would guess that this is not even on the list...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline lightingboy82

Re: Any plans to add ArtNet to the EtherDongle?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, »
I own a pro lighting console that outputs artnet, and i can program on that much easier and faster than with vixen or the like. I am using pro equipment, but not for pro use, it's just what I know. At this time, my console doesn't support e1.31...it is in the plans, but of for a while, so artnet support would really be of benefit to me, that or if anyone knows of an interface box or software to convert artnet input to e1.31 output, that would also work. 

Offline golights

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, »
Lightingboy82 what brand of console do you have. 

Offline rm357

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, »
We have an ETC ION at my church, but programming it for what I did last year would have made me suicidal... While it can handle 9999 channels, syncing that to music with the level of control that I have in LSP is just not a reasonable task.

By the same token, using LSP to run our weekly church service would not work well either.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline lightingboy82

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, »
I have a Martin maxxyz which is capable of 64 universes of dmx and I use smpte to sync the show to music once the cues are created, I play the music with smpte back and just hit go when I want each cue to happen

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've noted a lot of pro DMX software includes ArtNet interfaces among their supported hardware.  Any plans to add support for ArtNet to EtherDongle?

Michael

Since Lynks hardware is designed for home use only, I would say that the answer is no.  It has been mentioned in the past that RJ has no intention of adding any other protocols to these devices.  The EtherDongle is by it's name an Ethernet or E1.31 device. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving