Author Topic: The light is on, but nobody is home. My ED is not working  (Read 3220 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
I am finally getting around to building my ED from the first coop last year.  The green LED on the board comes on, but I don't get any lights from the magicjack (my understanding is that magicjack lights are the benchmark for a functioning ED).  In over 50 Lynx boards built, this is maybe the second one that I have experienced a problem with, so I hesitate to blame my assembly skills...although I have re-touched the solder joints.  Both regulators get warm and the green LED comes on, but that is all I can tell is happening.

I have tried 5 different cables on 3 different computers and a linksys router and no combination gives me lights.  I tried both jacks on the ED (I could not find which jack was the input anywhere  :o so I tried both).  I flashed the ED PIC with and without power applied.  I did check both square (50.0 & 8.0) components as suggested in another thread and found the following:

50.0 - 3.3V between 4 & 8 and 1.52V between 4 & 5.
8.0 - 3.3V between 4 & 8 and .99 between 4 & 5.  Something else odd about this one is if I switched the probe leads on 4 & 5, I would not get -.99V (which is what I would expect since all the other things I have measured would come out the way), but I reads like -7.2V.  Don't know if that is meaningful or not, but it seems odd based on my limited knowledge.

That is all I know to do at this time.  I have attached pictures so they can be scrutinized.  Before I assembled this board, I did notice that 3 of the pads seemed to be dull gray rather than gold like the rest of them.  I thought maybe the solder pad was missing on those 3.  I wish I had marked them, but I didn't.  They did seem to solder so maybe it was just a color or reflection issue.

HELP!

TIA,
-Keith

P.S. I had nice big pictures, but could not get them uploaded without shrinking them.  Sorry I was under the limit.   ???
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, by lonewolf41 »

Offline dcwehw99

• Beta Tester
Re: The light is on, but nobody is home. My ED is not working
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, »
Although it's difficult to tell from the picture, take a look at the top of the Ethernet chip, pins 1 - 12.  At about pins 7-8 look for a possible solder bridge.  It looks like the pins are not quite squarely on the pads; just slightly off.  If you hold it up to a bright light behind the PCB, it's easier to see if there are any bridges.

Denny

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, »
Did you program it as a DMX or Pixelnet dongle?

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did you program it as a DMX or Pixelnet dongle?

Pixelnet

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, »
Have you tried running a sequence with it connected.  My lights only  blink when I have a sequence running. They are off otherwise.  I have to use a router also, but it does work.

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, »
Have you tried running a sequence with it connected.  My lights only  blink when I have a sequence running. They are off otherwise.  I have to use a router also, but it does work.

No I haven't.  My understanding was that the light(s) on the magicjack port would come on with just connectivity.  I was going to use this to burn in my pixels with x-lights.  If the lights are not supposed to be on, then i will give it a shot.

Thanks.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, »
Although it's difficult to tell from the picture, take a look at the top of the Ethernet chip, pins 1 - 12.  At about pins 7-8 look for a possible solder bridge.  It looks like the pins are not quite squarely on the pads; just slightly off.  If you hold it up to a bright light behind the PCB, it's easier to see if there are any bridges.

Denny
Warning! I made this mistake-Always look through an extreme magnifier. I thought I saw a bridge with my naked (but aging) eyes and I scraped it. It turned out to be a trace on the topside of the board underneath the ethernet chip. Luckily for me RJ was able to save me. Never again will I do anything without my new magnifying headgear.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, »

No I haven't.  My understanding was that the light(s) on the magicjack port would come on with just connectivity.  I was going to use this to burn in my pixels with x-lights.  If the lights are not supposed to be on, then i will give it a shot.

Thanks.
The lights on the other network port that is connected to your computer/or router will blink if you have connection there. The magicjack goes to your hub if I remember right. (been awhile since I connected for testing).

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, »

Denny
Warning! I made this mistake-Always look through an extreme magnifier. I thought I saw a bridge with my naked (but aging) eyes and I scraped it. It turned out to be a trace on the topside of the board underneath the ethernet chip. Luckily for me RJ was able to save me. Never again will I do anything without my new magnifying headgear.

I use a lighted magnifier for all my work.  Makes it SOOOO much easier.

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, »

Thanks.

My magicjack lights only blink when I am running signal to the Ed. I am also using an XP machine and an older one to boot.
 I use the SSC1 TEST program RJ wrote to burn my RGBs. I have not tried using it on the SSC2.  I now just use Xlights or a sequence in Vixen.

Be careful about scraping bridges, it could be a bad idea. I would talk to RJ before I did any cleaning of possible bridges.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, by onesmoothhead »

Offline keitha43

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, »
Last I heard you do not want to use the test firmware on the SSC v2. It was designed for the SSC v1.

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, »
Last I heard you do not want to use the test firmware on the SSC v2. It was designed for the SSC v1.

I believe that is true.  This is why I leave a few SSC1 programmed with firmware. I never change them, but only use them for burning in.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, »
Was this from the first or second Ether Dongle coop?  If the first double check the both the PIC and the ethernet chip for bridges as many people had some, if the second coop then there is not likely to be any bridges as AJ did the mouting of the SMD chips.  Double check the programming of the PIC,  if your plugging your ED into a router or switch make sure the router a multicast capable (my new router does not do multicast but my old one does...) If your plugging the ED directly into a computer you may have to assign a IP address to your network card it it is set to obtain one automatically. 
Jeff Squires

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, »
OK, I did a little more looking...this time at the surface mount chips that were already on it since those were the only things I did not install.  Looking at the pictures, it looks to me like the small chip is shifted sideways a little bit.  It looks to me like some of the pins are not on the pads well on one side and ,might actually be touching other pads.

Thoughts?? Opinions??  Seeing what I am seeing??

Thanks!

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, »
One more picture.