Author Topic: Where to terminate?  (Read 2032 times)

Offline urthegman

Where to terminate?
« on: September 12, 2012, »
If I am sending wireless DMX from the last express in a chain of 8 to another express (#9) which will be echoing the same effects (not sure if I will be using a TX or EX, I have both), do I terminate express 8, express 9, or both? Does using either the TX or EX affect the decision of where to terminate?  I am getting ready to do a test setup and just  thought I should know prior to setup.  Thanks, George

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Where to terminate?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, »
do not terminate express 8, it is not the last element in the sequence -- the TX/RX is.
The express 9 will be terminated if it is the last item -- if you add a final express 10, then the express 10 would be terminated.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, »
On Express 8, you can set the termination on and connect the TX to DMX out 2.  On Express 9, I would terminate regardless of the unit that you use to receive the signal.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, »
I would probably do as Tbone suggested, that way you get the signal regenerated by the DMX OUT 2 to get the best possbile signal through the wireless to #9.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, »
I would have terminated #8 as well.  However, is it really necessary to terminate #9 if it isn't wired to another DMX device?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, »
EX is a receiver only.  You must use a TX (ver1) or a TXRX (ver2).
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
However, is it really necessary to terminate #9 if it isn't wired to another DMX device?

you want to terminate the signal to prevent random "turn on" events like when the show is over, and jsut sitting there all night. without termination, sometimes people would wake up to random lights turned on in the yard. :o
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, »
Thought I read you could terminate all of your Expresses as long as you used the regenerated DMX out?
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline rm357

Where to terminate?
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, »
Yes, you can do that.

The last unit in a DMX chain is the one that should be terminated. DMX out continues the chain from DMX in. If you have something plugged into The dmx out connector, you should not terminate that unit.

DMX out 2 starts a new chain by regenerating the signal. The last unit in this new chain should be terminated.

DMX out = yes, terminate = no
DMX out = no, terminate = yes

DMX out 2 starts a new chain.

If using the ex/RX wireless, you should not use DMX out, but you can use DMX out 2. Terminate does not matter in this case, but you will need to remove the jumper for wireless.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline CW

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes, you can do that.

The last unit in a DMX chain is the one that should be terminated. DMX out continues the chain from DMX in. If you have something plugged into The dmx out connector, you should not terminate that unit.

DMX out 2 starts a new chain by regenerating the signal. The last unit in this new chain should be terminated.

DMX out = yes, terminate = no
DMX out = no, terminate = yes

DMX out 2 starts a new chain.

If using the ex/RX wireless, you should not use DMX out, but you can use DMX out 2. Terminate does not matter in this case, but you will need to remove the jumper for wireless.

I was wondering about this, nicely explained.  Thank you.

Craig