Author Topic: My thoughts..... before you build your EtherDongle  (Read 2938 times)

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Re: My thoughts..... before you build your EtherDongle
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, »
You'll still want an Ethernet connection with the conductor to change show times/ start stop on the fly if needed.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline deplanche

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, »
You'll still want an Ethernet connection with the conductor to change show times/ start stop on the fly if needed.

I thought that could be done wirelessly, even possibly using a smart phone.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
My thoughts..... before you build your EtherDongle
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, »
Conductor and Etherdongle require Ethernet connectivity. They are not wireless. You have control options from a wireless device, but that is using the same network the Etherdongle is PLUGGED into.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, »

I thought that could be done wirelessly, even possibly using a smart phone.

Connectivity for the etherdongle/conductor happens over ethernet, there is no internal wireless.  You can make it wireless using external devices like Ron said but it still needs its ethernet port plugged into something for control of the conductor (if needed) 

For example I was going to have a second router in my garage bridged off my main wireless in my house that the etherdongle could plug into and my show computer would talk to it over that bridged wireless connection.  Until I got the motivation to run a drop out to my garage :)

Having said that if you do have the conductor and how I understand how it works.  If you don't need the control of it (meaning you are happy with the show setup and don't need to modify/start/stop) then correct it won't need the ethernet plugged in because the conductor will send everything out the pixelnet port and your computer won't be sending data to the etherdongle.