Author Topic: More conductor questions  (Read 3403 times)

Offline zwiller

More conductor questions
« on: September 17, 2012, »
Now that it is out of beta can I ask some (possibly dumb  ;D) questions that I haven't seen answers to. 

I know the main feature of it is to replace a computer but will it improve performance?  IE faster data rates for smoother fades, faster response, etc. 

How is music output?

Is this and ETD to be installed outside typically?

Thanks in advance.   

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: More conductor questions
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, »
I can try to answer some of them (I watched the beta team & RJ worked their magic)

faster data rates? Well there won't be any lag from the computer :) In most cases people were adding delays between songs. But to answer your question. The ETD still outputs at the same frame rate. I personally didn't have a problem last year with fades, etc

There is a onboard mp3 decoder with stereo output jacks (mini plugs I believe)

The conductor is a add-on board to the ETD so as long as the case is weather protected then why not put it outside. Note: there will be a large cut-out in the case for the memory card.

I hope that helps in advance.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline deplanche

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, »
I don't know if there is a typical installation location.  It all depends on how your show is set up and your local climate.

Personally, being from the Buffalo, NY area with the potential of lots of snow during my show season, I won't be putting it outside.  If there are any problems with the conductor or EtD, I don't want to have to be going thru snow to fix it.  Plus, if the audio is coming from this, it means that my FM transmitter would also be outside.  Too much potential for problems with the weather for me to risk that.   

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, »
Just to be fully honest here. I have and continue to have my ETD inside my house fully protected.

While there is nothing stopping anybody from putting it outside. Just remember that depending on where you live you could run into problems getting to it along with contacts corrosion like what we saw last year with the cat5 pigtails on the SSCs.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline zwiller

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, »
Thanks for the info.  Some very good points.  Being in Northern Ohio, I planned to keep ETD inside, but didn't know if that was typical or not.  I am old school and will always be wired but I would like a better solution than snaking cat5 from a bedroom window. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, »
The first year of my show 2008. I ran a cat5 from my "telecom" closet to above my front door outside by the way of my attic.

Rick R.

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
Re: Re: More conductor questions
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, »
I don't know if there is a typical installation location.  It all depends on how your show is set up and your local climate.

Personally, being from the Buffalo, NY area with the potential of lots of snow during my show season, I won't be putting it outside.  If there are any problems with the conductor or EtD, I don't want to have to be going thru snow to fix it.  Plus, if the audio is coming from this, it means that my FM transmitter would also be outside.  Too much potential for problems with the weather for me to risk that.

We are in the same boat being I'm in Batavia, NY.  I keep as many things inside as possible.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline mlkren

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, »
OK This is what I understand, is that the conductor is a player for your sequences. Now what is the output of the conductor?
I am thinking that I have to hook the conductor to a dongle (Ethernet) and then from there to my controllers. Could someone lay out a diagram of what hooks up to what. Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Offline keitha43

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, »
The conductor is a daughter card that attaches to the etherdongle circuit board. See here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, »
OK This is what I understand, is that the conductor is a player for your sequences. Now what is the output of the conductor?
I am thinking that I have to hook the conductor to a dongle (Ethernet) and then from there to my controllers. Could someone lay out a diagram of what hooks up to what. Thanks in advance.

-Mike

The conductor combines the EtherDongle and a substitute for your computer.  The conductor plays a sequence that is loaded on a flash card, and it creates sound through stereo jack -- that can connect to your transmitter, and it emits pixelnet sequence data over the connected cat5 jack.

connect the conductor to your smart hub and you get lights -- WITHOUT needing a computer to drive those lights.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, »
just to clarify for the readers...   you open up the case of your etherdongle, and physically install the conductor onto the Etherdongle board. (the conductor is a daughter board)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, »
just to clarify for the readers...   you open up the case of your etherdongle, and physically install the conductor onto the Etherdongle board. (the conductor is a daughter board)

Just to clarify Chris, You have to remove the EtherDongle from the case and then install the conductor onto the EtherDongle. Modify the case to accept the CF card and then reinstall the EtherDongle/Conductor back into the case.

LOL

Rick R.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, »
yeah yeah, but i was pointing out where it goes, and that it's not a seperate device needing it's own case
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline einstein2883

• Beta Tester
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, »
Have any pictures of the conductor been release yet?

Offline rrawlings

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, »
Is the conductor strictly a pixelnet device or will it work with the DMX code for the ether dongle?  At this point I am still all DMX maybe if I get a real good bonus instead of the Jelly of the Month Club this year I will jump into the SS arena.