Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 8802 times)

Offline fyb2000

Re: Newbie question
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, »
2 more

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, »
one more (this one). Thanks for looking. I am at a loss and don't have the tools to debug those kind of issues. I'll start over if need to be.

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
trying, but pic might have been too big, and the forum doesn't let me post anything with attachments anymore.
hopefully this one will be small enough

In photo1, check that solder flowed through and good contact between leads of components and board contacts ... Some on top side of board look suspect, especially on the st485 chip socket.  I cropped pic to show this joint in middle of image .... Oops just found out I cannot attach for some reason, maybe because on iPad. Any way, in your photo1, look at bottom left contact for the st485 chip.

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, »
Thanks for pointing that out. I redid all the connections, but it is still behaving the same. I plug the USB in, and the red LED turns on immediately. One second into it, the green LED turns ON also, and stays ON.
If I plug the LE after the dongle, the 3 LED (DMX and working, it turns ON during the test session) stays OFF regardless if I am trying to send data or not.
I will start the project over, as soon as I receive a new dongle, or will wait for the etherdongle COOP to be delivered.
I'll try playing around with that one a little more, but I am running out of things I can test with the toolset I have available.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, »
Just took a look at your PCB, and it's hard to see from the photo, but isn't your RED LED at the top in backwards?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, by peteandvanessa »

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, »
I did check that a few times, and just did again after your message. The long leg was installed in the + hole, which is my understanding of where it should go?
I ordered the components through mousers, and enough for 2 kits. I just checked the green vs the red LED. For the green LED, the long leg is leading to the smaller metal chunk inside the LED itself. For the red one, the long leg is leading to the bigger metal chunk inside the LED itself. I am no expert, just reporting what I am seeing. I am sure it does make sense to someone. :P

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, »
But compare the green LED to the Red LED, they should both be orientated the same way round. It's hard from the photo so I'm not 100% sure.

Can you take a close up photo of both the LEDs to be sure?

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, »
If an LED is in backwards I don't think it will ever light.  Since fyb2000 has indicated they both come on at some point, I suspect the polarity is correct.

-Mike

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, »
I just checked the polarity against my working USB dongles and the polarity of the fby2000 LED's are correctly orientated.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, »
The green light simply shows that the dongle is sending a signal.  The dongle IIRC, does send a string of zero's when not receiving data to keep dimmers and other devices from turning on during dark periods.  Is the data light lighting up on the express as well?  The first thing that I would look at is your Vixen configuration.  If it is not sending data to the dongle, nothing is going to light up.  As for LED polarity, if it is in bakwards it will not light up at all.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rm357

Newbie question
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, »
The USB dongle with the DMX firmware will start transmitting data a few seconds after it is powered up. It is designed to continue transmitting the last data it received until new data arrives. On power up, it starts transmitting a full universe of zeros.

The green led will be flickering slightly as data is being transmitted. The easiest way for me to see it is to move or shake the dongle so that the green led looks like a line of light. you should see little breaks in the line if you are moving the dongle fast enough. Yeah that is the actual 1s and 0s being transmitted...

I would focus on either the LE or the program you are using to test it. There are numerous utilities that I would turn to before trying to load vixen or LSP - my favorite being the test utility built into xlights. The xlights setup is very strait forward and the test tab works great with lots of cool things to play with.

My next focus would be the LE. Make sure you have cycled through the address settings and are no longer on the least significant digit. The LE will not receive data in the test mode. Also, it is very easy to put the push button switches in backwards...

Good Luck!!
RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, »
Wow. amazing responses. thank you all for spending time trying to help a complete newbie getting there.
I did check the LEDs in my spare kit, and this is just the way they are. the red and green internal structure (within the 'bulb') are just inverted. They are both ON when I connect the USB cable, so I suspect they are correctly oriented.
tbone321 and RM , thank you for that insight. The green light being ON seems to be part of what I should expect, and that is good news. I can move away from trying to figure out if this was a symptom of me building that board incorrectly.
RM, I will be doing some shaking as soon as I get home. Should I expect to see flickering even when the only transmission being done is a universe of zeros? (I will try it first with nothing connected at all, just the USB)
I have been using xlights on PC and on MAC, as well as vixen on PC to test the dongle so far.
tbone, the data light is not lighting up on the express. I am not sure if you are talking about the 3rd LED in the row of 16 (DMX) or the 3rd LED by the +5V and +3.3V. But neither of those ever lit up (except for the DMX one, during the test mode).
RM, is it a requirement to cycle trhough the addresses at least once after boot up? I usually don't touch that setting after I turn it on, and that might be one of my mistake. I usually push reset after running a test, and start transmitting from vixen or xlights right then.
Well that's it, going to go home and cut my workday short :P Really want to get that part done and working before going the next step.
Again, thanks a lot to all of you for the help.  <res.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, »
Did you install the FTDI driver?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, »
Yes, both on the pc and on the Mac. The USB board is seen by both systems.

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, »
Sorry, replied from my phone while waiting at a light...
Yes the drivers have been installed. On the PC the board is showing up on com3. On the Mac, showing as /dev/cu.usbserial-DPFNBR5H
I have been doing the shaking. I cannot say I see any flickering, with or without a sequence being played.