Author Topic: Conductor, Slave and Trigger setup  (Read 1900 times)

Offline deplanche

Conductor, Slave and Trigger setup
« on: September 18, 2012, »
I can't seem to find any information on how everything with the ethernet dongle and all the accessories connect, so this is what I am assuming.  Can someone please let me know if there is correct, and if not, where I am wrong...

A conductor connects to an Ethernet Dongle (ETD) and is used to run a show without a computer.  For every conductor you plan on using, you would need an ETD.  Without an ETD, a conductor is useless.

A slave unit also connects to an ETD.  This receives a signal from the conductor (via additional wireless devices) to run the show in different areas.  For every slave unit you need an ETD.  Without an ETD, a slave unit is useless.  Multiple slaves can be run from a single conductor.  There would be no purpose or way to connect a conductor and a slave to the same ETD.

A trigger unit connects to an ETD.  This runs a show without a PC, based on a trigger being used.  Every trigger needs an ETD, and would be useless without it.  I am not certain if a trigger can connect to the same ETD that a conductor or a slave is connected to.

Thanks in advance for any corrections.

Jon

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Conductor, Slave and Trigger setup
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, »
Ok

Every Conductor or Slave must have a ETD as they are little cards that plug on top of the ETD to add capabilities to the Etd.

The trigger is a seperate pcb and only connects to a Conductor. It's purpose is to allow you to have 15 inputs encoded into 4 wires that connect to the conductor.  You can have 4 triggers with out the Trigger pcb.

You do not have to us wireless to connect the conductor and slave together. It can have a cable between them but if you use more than the two you would need a switch so it makes more sense to use wireless.  The Wireless also allows your android devices to remote control the conductor.

RJ

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, »
If you connected the Conductor to the Slave with a cable, can you use a Patch cable or must it be a Crossover?

Offline deplanche

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, »
What would the purpose of a wired connection between a conductor and slave be?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, »
Crossover

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, »
Whether you use wired or wireless to connect them, the purpose is to allow the slave to synchronize itself with the conductor.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you exceed the number of channels that the EtherDongle and Conductor can provide, the additional channels can be added to a slave unit and in that case, a wired connection would work.  Another might be is there is too much interference where one of the units is to use wireless.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline deplanche

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, »

If you exceed the number of channels that the EtherDongle and Conductor can provide, the additional channels can be added to a slave unit and in that case, a wired connection would work.  Another might be is there is too much interference where one of the units is to use wireless.

Ahhh, the number of channels thing makes sense.  Seems like if I can run a wire to another controller, I may as well run it to the controller, not to a slave->ETD->controller.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, »
say you have a show with 19000 channels...

you have your sequence of the first 16384 channels save on a flash card in the conductor.

you have channels 16385-19000 on a flash card in the slave.

the etherdongles are conected to each other to provide a timing packets to the slave, so that it stays at the same time as the conductor to keep the show smooth.
no sequence data gets sent from the conductor to the slave. just timing packets.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!