Author Topic: How do you power the conductor?  (Read 3797 times)

Offline sittinguphigh

Re: How do you power the conductor?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, »
So it looks like I will need some kind of regulators.
Any one have any idea what I will need and were to go to get regulators used in this way?

Thanks

Mort
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, »
If you used two 6 volt batteries you could power the ED and conductor with one and get your 12 volts by series connecting the batteries.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

If I'm reading this suggestion correctly, please be aware that over time you can have batteries in series with different voltages, and/or internal currents as they are used differently.

This can cause issues if you are mainly drawing from one during testing and/or use.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, »
Keith, the battery usage time would be for the time on the "parade route" for the horse and rider.
The amount of power drawn by the Conductor/ED shouldn't upset the balance of power if the batteries are sized correctly.

Offline rm357

How do you power the conductor?
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, »
I think I might lean towards using one of those AA battery packs that have 6 batteries in it. That would give you 9 volts for the etherdongle and run everything else off the 12v battery. My only concern is how much power does the etherdongle use... The batteries may not last long enough... You can get NiMH AA rated for over 2000 mAH, which would probably be enough for a couple of hours anyway... Just be sure to look for the rating. I've also seen them rated for only 800 mAH...

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, »
That may work. RJ said the conductor use 450ma. That is .45 amps. 1800ma would give me 4 hours that would be fine. Then like you said run the rest on the 12 volts battery. But I still would have to run a regulator I think for a battery 12.8v to 14.4 volts. I think a inline regulator would be best.
What you don't know. Can hurt you.