Author Topic: ED for DUMMIES  (Read 5791 times)

Offline Pete

ED for DUMMIES
« on: September 25, 2012, »
I need some help getting my 2 ED's up and running.

Is there a setup and operation " Ether Dongle Guide for Dummies" (such as I) out there somewhere?  I have no problem with the USB dongles however, I have found out I am "NETWORK CHALLENGED" and past plugging in the connectors I am lost.

Has anyone put together a very basic guide from first plugging in the ED to getting lights to blink?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you -
"NETWORK CHALLENGED"  Pete

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
Re: ED for DUMMIES
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, »
me too especially with dmx flashed
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline thestig

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, »
Misleading title... <fp. hahaha

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, »
There really is not a manual for this request.
I will chime in with a few known issues you can try to resolve.

No communication between Ed and LE (or any device)
 Solutions:
1.  is to make sure you have all the drivers installed.
2. you may need a crossover or in expensive router (I use this method) to create an IP. This is very true with an older computer.

If not give use some very good pictures of both sides of the board.

What are you using to program you PIC?

I am sure there will be more questions for you soon. Most problems are solved by the best questions asked.

Kevin

Offline Pete

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, »
There really is not a manual for this request.
I will chime in with a few known issues you can try to resolve.

No communication between Ed and LE (or any device)
 Solutions:
1.  is to make sure you have all the drivers installed.
2. you may need a crossover or in expensive router (I use this method) to create an IP. This is very true with an older computer.

If not give use some very good pictures of both sides of the board.

What are you using to program you PIC?

I am sure there will be more questions for you soon. Most problems are solved by the best questions asked.

Kevin

Well first off ???????    :-[   I am REALLY Network challenged.
Communication  -   the board lights up - green led and the magic jack flashes so I guess it is communicating.  I can not figure how or where to look to see if the ED is communicating to anything.   I do see a Realtec network icon in the windows network sharing center.

The ED is connected to my laptop.  ED output to SS hub all set to universe 1.

Pickit 3 was used to program the PIC and checksum is correct (pixelnet)

I do not believe there is a board problem at this point because I have no clue how to setup the ED - check it - test it - and make it blink lights.    BTW Vixen is setup with the plugin for the ED.

I do not know how to set up the network for the ED.

Pete

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, »
How about RJ's EtherDongle videos he did?

Besides that,

Depending on your software you have either very little to setup (Vixen - plugin - number of channels only) to use the EtherDongle or you have to setup the number of universes your EtherDongle will use (xLights - 239.255.0.1 etc)

The EtherDongle itself has no configuration to setup. It just listens for the packets of data sent to the 239.255.0.1 - 239.255.0.32

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, »
I'm also struggling.  I have two EDs that I tested months ago with my 6 yr old XP laptop.  Sold that laptop and bought a new one.  However, I am now testing with my Win7 netbook.  I have a 7ft pixel tree set up in my screen room and can play with all the lights using xlights and a USB pixelnet dongle.  But now I am trying to recreate my network setup for the ED that was running on the old laptop.  I have the netbook with wireless turned off and have tried 3 different routers between the netbook and the ED.  I want to get it running with all wired connections first before I start with the wireless even though it was working in my basement workshop after I built the EDs.  Apparently only one of the 3 routers I tried supports multicast - a DLink DIR-655 which is a duplicate of the one for the house that was used originally and even tested using wireless from the XP laptop to a wired connection to the ED.  I've tried a crossover cable with direct connect and even assigned a static address to the netbook.  This is very frustrating.  Most folks would not categorize me as network challenged since I am a mostly retired IT support person, but this is challenging not to mention frustrating.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Pete

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, »
Is a router needed between my laptop and ED?????

I have been connecting the ED directly to my laptop.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, »
Is a router needed between my laptop and ED?????

I have been connecting the ED directly to my laptop.

The answer is "it depends".  It depends on the capabilities of your laptop, your cable (straight or crossover), having an IP address on the ethernet port, etc.  Generally speaking it is simpler and more straight forward to use a router, but then the router must support multicast.  Now you understand more of the need for the "Dummies" manual.  LOL  Boy, this is more work than I would have thought, let me just go back to soldering!!!
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Pete

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, »
Sooooo . . . . if a router is the way to go (or easier) how do I know if my home router can handle multicast?  Is there somewhere I can look or access through it IP address setup screens that will help me find the answer?

If my router does not handle multicast what router suggestions do you have?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, »
Start by setting up a network address on your network card in your computer and plugging in the ETD with a cable. If you get no connection from the ETD lights then try a cross over cable. Get this working first before adding more complexity of a router in the mix.

Turn your firewall off in your computer.
Make sure you have no other network connections to your computer like wireless equipment to stat your test. Once this is working you can start adding more complexity.

This is all it should take.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Pete

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, »
Thanks RJ -
When I get off work tonight I will follow your instructions.  I will post the results. 

Pete

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, »
also, try turning off wireless while you're attempting to communicate with the eD. sometimes the computer broadcasts the eD info on that adapter instead.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Pete

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, »
Thanks RJ -
When I get off work tonight I will follow your instructions.  I will post the results. 

Pete

OK . . . . I got the yellow light to dance to a test sequence input, but no lights.  I believe that is other than the ED at this point.  I am off to work and I will set up the test sequence late tonight tomorrow morning.

Thank you to all who helped this old Network Challenged guy. 

Pete

Offline Pete

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, »
Hello everyone -
I have more time on the weekend to work on this and I am still having issues with my ED. 
I have the ED connected to my laptop after a long time identifying my network connections show an active network. It reads as "unidentified Network" (I have Win7 on a less than 12 month old Dell laptop).  I guess this is good??
I have tried a simple test sequence with Vixen 2.1.1.0 to a LE (tested) and the ED has no output, the ED is receiving as the yellow led on the jack is solid yellow when playing.  I have all the plugins installed and universes set - so I believe it is good (works with usb dongle).
I am stuck, please help if you can.  I am attaching photos of my 2 ED's front and back.

Thank you,
Pete