Author Topic: Cascading Snowflakes  (Read 9677 times)

Offline UncleBuck

Cascading Snowflakes
« on: September 26, 2012, »
This is my first year and I have incorporated 14 cascading snowflakes into my display. I had 14 incandescent rope light snowflakes on order from Novelty Lights and they just informed me that they will not be receiving snowflakes from their manufacture this year. Does anybody know how to build rope light snowflakes and make them look nice. Any suggestions on what I could replace the snowflakes with. They are a cool part of the display and I would hate to just cut them out of the songs.

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
Re: Cascading Snowflakes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, »
I bought some wire snowflakes with a rubber/plastic coating on them from Home Depot last year.  I was planning on zip tieing LED rope lights around them but will not have time to do that this year.  I'm sure Home Depot will carry them again this year; select stores.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, »
Last year I made stars from 1/4 round stock and rope lights.  The way I made up the sizes was by how often you can cut the rope light. If you can cut the rope light every 18" and have a 5 pointed star (10 sides) you would divide the rope light by 10. 18" is kind of small so I started with 36"/10=3.6" a side.... also you can get coro from Lowe's or home depot and make a snow flake cut out. On a peace of scrap coro drill holes until you find the good size hole for a mini incan or led and poke it through the hole.  If you look on my veimo page you will see my Merry Christmas letters. They are coro with 200 lights in each letter. I got the coro from a sign shop, they were misprint signs they were going to throw away.... 
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, »
You could cut the shape of the snowflake out of black coro. Then zip tie rope light onto the shape by placing rope light right directly on coro and drilling a small hole in coro every place you want to place a zip tie. It may not be better than wire frames but no welding necessary. You would have to make sure size of the snowflake is correct size to end on the rope light cut line (usually 18" increments).  There have been past posts that show you how to make your own rope light wire connections.

Offline meman

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, »
If you don't want to make your own, Lori will fix you up 100%. Just tell her your vision of what they should look like....they'll bend up a custom wireframe for you if they don't already have the size & shape you need.

Good Luck,
Mike E.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, »
I here the word "Coro" used a lot but I have no idea what it is.  <fp.

Offline AverageJoeTX

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, »
I cut 5 of these out of coro last year and plan on doing maybe 7 more for this year.
Coro, short for corrugated plastic, the stuff most of the political or real estate road signs at made out of. Lowes has 4x4 sheets
Joe Glenn (West Tawakoni, TX)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, »
I cut 5 of these out of coro last year and plan on doing maybe 7 more for this year.
Coro, short for corrugated plastic, the stuff most of the political or real estate road signs at made out of. Lowes has 4x4 sheets

those are sharp! i plan on doing something similiar. i like your design.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline AverageJoeTX

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, »
Thanks, I used an overhead projector and penciled the outline, used after Christmas clearance led's cool white and just a few blue in center. Easy and very cheap. Its a little hard to see, but I zip tied them to some heavy plastic netting, end of session I just take the net down with them still attached and roll it up.
Joe Glenn (West Tawakoni, TX)

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, »
I here the word "Coro" used a lot but I have no idea what it is.  <fp.

Coroplast - Corrugated plastic.  Think corrugated cardboard but made with plastic.  Used a lot for signs and the like.   Here is a random Google-sourced image

Home Depot sells it, as will sign shops. 

Offline winwin

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, »
If it helps...

this site has a tutorial for coro displays

This site has a template for snowflakes in the project section (then scroll down until you find it)

AL.

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, »
google paper snow flakes lots of patterns there

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, »
or coloring book snowflakes  (or any designs)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, »
All great ideas here ... unless the OP really just really wanted to buy something instead of taking on a diy project.
I think many of the DIY snowflakes look really great, btw.

Would these work?  They are 18" or 46 cm ...

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, »
Great ideas from everybody! Thanks for all the links, I'm not sure if I will purchase or DIY just depends on how my other projects go and if I have time to deal with the snowflakes. I did have one question, does anyone have a close up shot of how the mini's are attached to the cora?