Author Topic: Cascading Snowflakes  (Read 9676 times)

Offline UncleBuck

Re: Cascading Snowflakes
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2012, »
Nice and sharp!!

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, »
My wife just found a random picture and we used a projector to trace it onto the cora.

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, »
I'm sreious about buying them.  Dont have time to do it myself, and yours look great.  Just the cut out of the flake.  How many lights/holes are in each one?
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, »
150 lights on each one. I wish I had the time to cut you up some but this is my first year and it's taking everything I've got just to get set up. I really under estimated the number of cords and time it takes to make them. I blew through 1000' of spt2 and butt load of vampire plug. Fortunately the Zman bailed me out and let me borrow some cord and plugs.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nice and sharp!!

is that an awl that you purchased or a screw driver on a grinder? that looks like it worked great!. i have one done so far and i used a little cone shaped rasp in my drill. what you used looks like it makes a cleaner hole. stretches the plastic as opposed to filing it  away.  i am doing blue in the center of mine. i will post a pic when i get them done. thanks, your flakes are the ones i liked when doing research so i copied.

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, »
I'm assuming that you skipped holes going down each arm with lights, and back to the center hitting the open holes.  Correct?
Mike Hill
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, »
Yes it's an awl just don't push it threw to far or the hole is to big for the light. I also pushed the light threw from the same side as the awl.

Yup, by skiping holes I was able to avoid doing any splicing.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, »
I'm assuming that you skipped holes going down each arm with lights, and back to the center hitting the open holes.  Correct?

mike, that's how i did mine. i copied what uncle buck has. on the holes, you just have to figure out how many lights you want, formula would be:   total number of lights, minus 36(3 lights per finger off the arm, 12 fingers) divided by total inches of arms combined.  i am using 105 white and 50 blue. so my main arms were  105-36=69 69/6=11.5  11 lights per 12'' arm so spacing will be 1'' on the lights. the inner star was 48''/50lights so:   50/6(points on star)=8.3 so 8 lights per point is just under an inch on the spacing. not sure what uncle buck did but that is how i configured mine.  i will have pics up later today.

duane
Florence, KY

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
Cascading Snowflakes
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, »
Thanks Duane.  That helps a lot.  Can't wait to see your pics too.
Mike Hill

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, »
well here are a couple of pics. i'm not too happy with this so i am going to redo. this one is my ginny pig so it's a rough idea of what i'm doing. i thought i had enough holes calculated but i forgot about 18 of the finger lights and some of the holes are too big. lesson learned and the next 8 should be pretty nice.

duane
Florence, KY

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2012, »
Nice first run.  I may have to give a go at this for this year.  More stuff to do than I have time to work with.

My wife thinks I'm nuts....too!!!!
Mike Hill

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2012, »

I don't want to judge, but given my personal experience, I would have to side with her observation probably being true.

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2012, »
I will be building some for next year. Also I think all the wifes think we are nuts I for one suffer from the C.L.A.P.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2012, »
Nice first run.  I may have to give a go at this for this year.  More stuff to do than I have time to work with.

i am fortunate, my wife is on board. problem is just getting her to help build some of this stuff! lol if you plan on doing it this year, go to your local sign shop and find out where they get their coro. i paid 18 bucks and some change for 2 sheets. you can get 8 per sheet if you lay them out right. 24'' across. 2'' arms.

duane
Florence, KY

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2012, »
I'd like to build something like this but I'd like to know how they stand up to the sun.  I'm tired of buying stuff that fades, yellows to gets brittle from UV rays.