Author Topic: Any other ideas on enclosures?  (Read 1118 times)

Offline TheBanker

Any other ideas on enclosures?
« on: September 28, 2012, »
I have been looking around for plastic boxes or enclosures to replace the PVC pipe for the SSC.  Has anyone found anything else that they think may work?  Or any other ideas for the pipe?
Will

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Any other ideas on enclosures?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, »
Greetings,,,

I personally use the pipe, but if you wish to try other things, there must be thousands of ways to do enclosures, at all price ranges.

You could walk through the dollar stores, electrical areas in the big box stores, or buy from plastic houses online.

I'd stay away from anything that could conduct electricity.  No need pushing your luck with shorts.

But in the end, the lights get all the cool looks at night.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, »
I think the original person using PVC did it for the low cost ... So not sure if your wanting better looks or what.   I've been happy with the pipe myself and did even bother painting them black.   The white blends with my snow better and I didn't have time.   I wonder if those beautiful apple iPod boxes could be used ?  Seems like a waste to toss them.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, »
I'm also wondering if a purpose for those coffee creamer containers could be found ... Nice lids on them.  Sorry for the tangent.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, »
i was thinking about a way to run my mega tree from the top down, and conceal all the ssc's inside the supporting large pvc pipe at the top.

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, »
I have a similar issue with dscs.  I will need 3 of them for my 3d star at the top of the mega tree.  I would prefer to use one box for all 3 of them.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, »
For SS by far the PVC is the best. My twist on this is that I use the threaded PVC nipples and caps. I put Teflon tape on the threads and use the water tight cord grips on each cap. I also put silicone around the cord grip when it is initially installed. Maybe overkill but it works and you can disconnect the controller on both sides, unscrew the ends and slide out the controller for firmware mods, etc.

Offline travailen

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, »
Last year we did 4 yards using wireless DMX. I needed to put the DMX wireless TX/RX high enough to get by parked cars. I put the wireless transmitter in a ziplock freezer bag. Taped the bag with the wires hanging out the bottom to the top of a  10 FT  PVC pipe and tie wrapped the pole to a small tree.

I will do the same this year for the star at the top of my megatree. The SSC, without the pipe enclosure, will go in an upside down zip lock freezer bag. I will tape it to the back side of the pole just below the star and run the cat5 down to the main box at the base of the tree. It will be small and inconspicuous.  For 3 SSCs use 3 bags.

I have had a zip lock freezer bag covering the controller of my electric fence for over a year. The bag still looks brand new and is not weathered at all.

Rick S