Author Topic: Will this work for flex strips?  (Read 939 times)

Offline coachers

• Coachers
Will this work for flex strips?
« on: October 01, 2012, »
Howdy,

I need to run 76' LED RGB Strip 30 LEDs per Meter Waterproof IP66 (16ft-6in Roll) - 12v but I only want to use one dumb string controller. I have not a clue how to pull this off, but a few idea's to bounce of you guys and get your input.

* Do you think if I use a data repeater after each 16.5 strip will work?
 * It can't be done, you must use a controller for each 16.5 strip?
 * I have a better idea, listen here....

Thanks guys!
 Al
May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.

Offline rm357

Will this work for flex strips?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, »
The flex we use needs an SSC to drive each strip. You would have to have about 5 SSCs for what you want to do. SSCs are hard limited to 128 nodes for power reasons... The Ethernet cable can only carry so much and you don't want to melt the wires or start a fire...

There may be some dumb flex strips out there. I haven't looked, but even with the DSCs, you are limited to about 4 amps per controller - again you would need about 5.

If you want to roll your own, there are other controllers out there for dumb nodes that could probably handle more power, but there is still a limit to how many nodes you can string together before the wires start getting hot and the voltage drop from one end to the other starts to get noticeable...
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline DanHouston

Re: Will this work for flex strips?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, »
As already mentioned for power reasons you are going to need more than one controller. As for the "I have a better idea" it would help to know why you only want to use a single controller.

The two things that come to mind for only wanting one are:
1) I want them all to do the same thing....In that case use multiple controllers and set them all to be the same address
2) I don't want to run cables to so many controllers....Use wireless, but you still have to get power there.

Probably lots of other reasons someone might not want multiple controllers, but to add other ideas we need to know your reason. :)
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, »
Yep, the issue is power.  I think anyway you look at it you need discrete power to each strip. 

I think you might be able to it pull it off with a single MR16 controller instead of dsc's but only if the flex strips are dumb (which I think you are).  Some rough math: 76' = 25m = 760 leds @ .356W = 270.5W = 22.5A @ 12V.

MR 16 is good for 35A but limited to 2.5A per channel.  Use (5) 3 channel feeds for rgb to each 5 meter strip.  Probably better than using 5 dsc for 4A max.  If it were me, I would run 2 MR16 mirrored to same dmx channels on each side of house to minimize wire runs. 

You can do some cool chases and stuff with 5 separate channels/strips. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, »
Yes, I want the 76' of flex strip to do the same thing, it's my roof line. I'll go over 512 channels if each string takes 3. I do plan on going the over 512 down the road but free time to do so, I just don't have.

I am looking at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

After you guys mention the fading idea's, I may need to find the time to have each on their own controller.

Again, Thanks for you input.
  AL
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, by coachers »
Great Wealth.....

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As already mentioned for power reasons you are going to need more than one controller. As for the "I have a better idea" it would help to know why you only want to use a single controller.

The two things that come to mind for only wanting one are:
1) I want them all to do the same thing....In that case use multiple controllers and set them all to be the same address
2) I don't want to run cables to so many controllers....Use wireless, but you still have to get power there.

Probably lots of other reasons someone might not want multiple controllers, but to add other ideas we need to know your reason. :)

Dan,

I didn't even think to use the same address, didn't know you could.  Thank You!
This would be a cheaper route then the repeater.
Great Wealth.....

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, »
Happy to help! :)
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels