Author Topic: SUCCESS was Results not as expected - first live test  (Read 3664 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I have my pixel tree set up in my screen porch for testing.  Finally have my etherdongle communicating and now am trying to load up some effects.  They have not been what I expected.  I have tried changing several option, but it appears that I do not have the model correct.  This is 8 strings of flexstrips cut in half to make 15 strands.  Each string goes up from the bottom and comes down the adjacent leg.

Here is my effect table
spirals Effect Settings   
username   jnealand
user_target   16X60_HALF
effect_class   spirals
effect_name   RED-WHITE-BARBERPOLE
handiness   L
number_spirals   2
number_rotations   0.5
spiral_thickness   16
window_degrees   180
frame_delay   50
sparkles   0
sparkles_count   0
direction   CW
rainbow_hue   N
color1   #FF0000
color2   #FFFFFF
color3   #000000
color4   #FFFFFF
color5   #FFFFFF
color6   #FFFFFF
fade_3d   N
show_frame   N
seq_duration   20
fade_in   0
fade_out   0
speed   1
submit   Submit Form to create your effect
batch   0
OBJECT_NAME   spirals

Attached image is what I am expecting to see.

and here is what the actual tree looks like
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Results not as expected - first live test
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, »
Model is defined as 16 strings of 120 pixels with each string folded into 2.  Then I specify using only half the tree.  I have tried both settings of starting at the bottom or starting at the top with no luck.  Should there be a setting that say nothing so that the model knows to go up and then down?

How do you post a gif inside the message? 
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, »
I was going to say, it looks like your model in Nutcracker is folded in 2, but your physical design does NOT appear to be folded in two.  Try a model with 60 pixels X 16 (or is it 15?) strings (no folds) and see if this works.  Not sure the configuration of your tree.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, »

Here is your effect, looks fine in nuctcracker.

what sequencer are you using. If vixen are u using vir or vix files?

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, »
Impressive video even if it's not correct.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, »
Sean,

Do we have something on how folds work?  I think that some of the confusion is on what a fold is and how it works.  As I understand it a fold starts at the first bottom pixel and goes up to the top of the tree as first fold, then down to the bottom as the second fold, etc.  However, I think you have some information on this that could explain it better than I have done so here.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, »
I have that gif just fine from nutcracker, but could not figure out how to post it in the message body.  The fact remains that the actual implementation does not match the gif in any way.  The tree has 8 strings of flexstrip cut in half and put back together with 3 pin connectors. 

The SSCs are at the bottom of every other leg and the adjacent leg is connect back to the first at the top of the tree.  All the SSCs are sitting on the floor.  There are 8 SSCs all programmed the same except for start address.   The actual playback appears as though the second half of the strip should start at the bottom of the tree instead of the top,

I downloaded the vix file and just loaded it, attached it to my profile and hit play.

A scan thru the programming in vixen does show a number of little glitches with missed pixels here and there, but not enough to change the overall effect.  There are spots with just a yellow pixel that show up when watching the lights carefully.  I have not tried the vir file.  I have regenerated the file and re- downloaded it multiple times.

I've attached the profile which has no animated preview and which was generated by using the VSB program.  There is nothing in it besides the 8 flexstrips.  I had to add the vix to the end in order to get it attach.  Just rename by deleting the ".vix" at the end if you want to look at it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, »
This does appear to be a model problem since meteors and other effects also do not show up as expected.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, »
Sean,

Do we have something on how folds work?  I think that some of the confusion is on what a fold is and how it works.  As I understand it a fold starts at the first bottom pixel and goes up to the top of the tree as first fold, then down to the bottom as the second fold, etc.  However, I think you have some information on this that could explain it better than I have done so here.

Kurt

Kurt Go look at tutorial 1.  Video does not match the current software, but there is info there on mt configs.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, »
I have that gif just fine from nutcracker, but could not figure out how to post it in the message body.  The fact remains that the actual implementation does not match the gif in any way.  The tree has 8 strings of flexstrip cut in half and put back together with 3 pin connectors. 

The SSCs are at the bottom of every other leg and the adjacent leg is connect back to the first at the top of the tree.  All the SSCs are sitting on the floor.  There are 8 SSCs all programmed the same except for start address.   The actual playback appears as though the second half of the strip should start at the bottom of the tree instead of the top,

I downloaded the vix file and just loaded it, attached it to my profile and hit play.

A scan thru the programming in vixen does show a number of little glitches with missed pixels here and there, but not enough to change the overall effect.  There are spots with just a yellow pixel that show up when watching the lights carefully.  I have not tried the vir file.  I have regenerated the file and re- downloaded it multiple times.

I've attached the profile which has no animated preview and which was generated by using the VSB program.  There is nothing in it besides the 8 flexstrips.  I had to add the vix to the end in order to get it attach.  Just rename by deleting the ".vix" at the end if you want to look at it.

I dont know.

Your file "looks" ok to me.

I logged in as you, created the effect and crated a vix file and a vir file.

both gave me this on vixen.

i dont know vixen that well , but it "looks" like it should be a spiral. Also, others have created spirals into vixen.

Why don't you try 16 strings x 60 and do not fold the strings? still do a half mega tree.

Call this target a diff name, test or something. create the effect on that target (No need to change any settings in the effect). try loading it into vixen.

maybe someone who knows vixen could look at your profile?

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline smeighan

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, »
This does appear to be a model problem since meteors and other effects also do not show up as expected.

I wonder if it is in your tree.

Can you output RED on pixels 1, 120 and green on 60 and 61 in vixen. Can you then verify the bottom two pixels of your first string are red and the top two pixels are GREEN?

when you said you cut the strip, i assume you just added a small extension cable between the two pieces? For my effects to work, i am expecting 120 pixels on string #1 with pixel #1 the bottom of the first strand, #60 the top of the first strand and pixel #61 the top of the second strand and pixel #120 the bottom of the second strand..

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, »
 jnealand -

To add what Sean said.  The first strand is on the left side of the tree as you look at the tree.  In your case this is how I would build the tree.

60-----61       180---181
 |         |         |        |      ..... etc
01      120      121     240
SCC1            SCC2

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, »
Jim,

I wonder if you're getting caught by something that messed me up setting up my tree.  You need to remember that each pixel is actually 3 channels.  So in your case you would use the SSC Utility to program the SSC's as follows:

SSC1 Addr 1
SSC2 Addr 361
SSC3 Addr 721
SSC4 Addr 1081
etc..

Just add 360 to each SSC.

-Mike

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, »
Found a couple of problems thanks to Sean's suggestion of red and green lights and mokeefe's programming suggestion.

1. The SSCs were placed in sequence left to right and should have been placed right to left because the strings would have been numbered 61-120 then 1-60 instead of 1-60 and then 61-120.
2. In reviewing my programming chart I realized I never changed it when I went from 60 pixel stings to 120 pixel strings folded.  That meant the channel start addresses were totally off.

Now I need to reprogram the SSC start addresses.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Once I get the SSCs reprogrammed I will repost and mark the thread solved if that solves all the problems I had.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Results not as expected - first live test -SUCCESS
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, »
Got all the SSCs reprogrammed and now all is well.  Now to get busy working on the final effects.  Then have to learn the ins and outs of using the vir files so I can add effects to my existing sequences.  This is a totally new additional element for my show and will force me into using 2 universes. for the first time.

here is the working video.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA