Author Topic: Completely contained Aether II?  (Read 3535 times)

Offline DanHouston

Completely contained Aether II?
« on: October 02, 2012, »
Has anyone tried to make a completely contained Aether II, well so it would just need a standard 110vAC feed rather than an external transformer to feed another line to it?

In my head I am picturing wireless to get the DMX signal and a 12VAC transformer big enough for the Aether II, but small enough to fit in the case(or a waterproof one under the case)?

This thing looks too big and not sure about the power rating on it:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Have not gotten my hands on an Aether yet, but I'd like to make them just require a standard extension cord if possible and if someone has already been down that road would appreciate any ideas/roadblocks you ran into.

When's the next Aether II coop?   >:D
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Completely contained Aether II?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, »
There is a reason why it was done that way.

First there is no room in the case
Second you will have heat problems and possible short lived light

Remember the case is part of the heat dissipation for the led

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, »
Thanks Rick.

Certainly heat would be a problem if the power supply was mounted inside....was not sure if there was a water proof alternative that could be mounted on the bottom.

Could always use a bigger case maybe?

What temperature is considered too hot for the light?
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, »
my transformer is going into a battery box like we use for the smart strings hubs. keeps it out of the weather, and has plenty of room to breathe, and for cords to enter
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline thestig

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, »
I though about doing this and even found some smaller (not very small) transformers that I put on each aether. The problem was the cheap transformers would cause the lights to randomly turn on at night. The lights would function properly when the show was going but would turn on in the middle of the night. I am thinking this was due to noise in the power supply. I have since changed over to a home depot transformer and havn't had an issue.

Grant

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, »
I though about doing this and even found some smaller (not very small) transformers that I put on each aether. The problem was the cheap transformers would cause the lights to randomly turn on at night. The lights would function properly when the show was going but would turn on in the middle of the night. I am thinking this was due to noise in the power supply. I have since changed over to a home depot transformer and havn't had an issue.

Grant

Stig,

If you are able, you might want to post a picture of your complete setup to give him an idea of how you set it up.

I few Aether's that I haven't even touched yet.  I may need the pictures too.  Just got the power source for them yesterday so I may be working on this project after Halloween.

Mike
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, »

Grant

Any ideas you care to share or pictures....Had not even considered the power supply problem you mentioned. I guess that is a possibility with any power supply?
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline thestig

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, »
I still have the transformers so i will take a picture of them next to the aether. I can't show you how I had it hooked up as I never mounted the transformers. Once I realized that they were too cheap and had issues I scrapped the idea. I don't thinnk you will have problems with other transformers. These were just dirt cheap bricks that way a ton.

Grant

Offline meman

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, »
Don't know why, but I think all of us have or will try to do this. I had 4 Aether IIs last year running off two Malibu style landscape light transformers. This year I had more time and wanted to see if I could do away with the long runs of low voltage wire and use a cheap onboard transformer. These are switched-mode power supplies and have notoriously sloppy output..but they seem to work.  Here are some pics of my experiment. In the end, I decided that it's not worth the hassle and plan on using the external landscape transformers. The cost of low voltage wire is so expensive that I will probably just use the cheapest low wattage transformer as a dedicated power supply for the really remote Aethers and run and 110v extension cord to them.

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, »
... I decided that it's not worth the hassle ...

What was the hassle? Where did you get the transformers?

Is that a nice glass of scotch in the corner of that picture? :)
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline lortiz

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, »
Hi,

Just to give another idea on this. I am using my Aether II with only a cat5 cable supplying DMX and 12vAC power.

I used the same principle as for the smart string controllers and used a 4 port smart string passive HUB to inject the 12vAC into the cat5 cable. I then wired the proper cat5 cables at the AetherII end to supply the power (white/green+white/blue+blue and green+white/brown+brown).

It works like a charm and I don't have to have an extra power cable with this setup.

Leo
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline rm357

Completely contained Aether II?
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, »
I thought about the 24vac injection via the passive hub but decided against it. If you get confused, the 24vac will destroy a ssc or DSC. I was also a little concerned about potential interference between the AC and the DMX, but I guess that isn't a problem... And finally, I was a little concerned that the initial power up might pop the 5 amp fuse on the hub. The fuse in the aether is 7a, but you don't want to change the one on the hub because its there to protect the wire and the hub...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline meman

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, »
What was the hassle? Where did you get the transformers?

Is that a nice glass of scotch in the corner of that picture? :)
The hassle is fitting everything in there and getting it all hooked up...tiny hands would be better suited for this. If the power supply is not in the case, you can just shove the wires through, solder it all up outside of the case, then pull the slack back out. 
I used the housings from Northern Tool for this batch of Aethers.  The transformer does fit between the molded screw posts, but has to be mounted upside down to provide enough clearance for the huge cap on the circuit board. Even then it's really close to the rectifiers heatsink which gets really hot and heats that whole area up. The power supply itself doesn't seem to generate much heat, but I'm sure that its poor quality would quickly degrade even further with all that heat.

In summary, it worked but I just don't trust it for some reason. I've got too much invested to risk a $3 power supply somehow frying my Aether.

The transformers are all over ebay; heres one link:

And yes, I often (very often) enjoy Jameson Irish Whiskey while working on my lights....

Offline lortiz

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, »
Hi,

I had the same exact concerns as you, regarding the fuses and the noise, but decided to give it a try because of the benefits.

I did all kind of tests with this setup and never had any issue with power, fuses or noise.

The cat5 cable injected with power through the 4 port ss passive hub didn't even get warm to the touch. It looks like the Aether draws little current.

I also ran a Vixen sequence with all 4 Aether channels to 100% for 2 hours with no issues.

Leo

I thought about the 24vac injection via the passive hub but decided against it. If you get confused, the 24vac will destroy a ssc or DSC. I was also a little concerned about potential interference between the AC and the DMX, but I guess that isn't a problem... And finally, I was a little concerned that the initial power up might pop the 5 amp fuse on the hub. The fuse in the aether is 7a, but you don't want to change the one on the hub because its there to protect the wire and the hub...
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline zwiller

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, »
Hi,

I had the same exact concerns as you, regarding the fuses and the noise, but decided to give it a try because of the benefits.

I did all kind of tests with this setup and never had any issue with power, fuses or noise.

The cat5 cable injected with power through the 4 port ss passive hub didn't even get warm to the touch. It looks like the Aether draws little current.

I also ran a Vixen sequence with all 4 Aether channels to 100% for 2 hours with no issues.

Leo

I have to admit that is kinda cool.  I am all about simplification.  I assume the cat5 can handle the current of the aether being 3A (35W/12V) since SSc are rated for 4A?  My main concern as noted by rm357 would be accidental hook up to active hub or vice versa.   

This has me thinking (scary).   ;D 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."