Author Topic: Looking for a laptop - Sequencing machine  (Read 1089 times)

Offline mitch09

Looking for a laptop - Sequencing machine
« on: October 03, 2012, »
I am looking at replacing my sequencing machine - Core2Duo MacBook running windows 7 2GB ram, 128mb video with something better. What should be the minimum in a laptop? I don't want to spend more than $600 or so.  Any suggestions on laptops?

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline peteandvanessa

Re: Looking for a laptop - Sequencing machine
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, »
It depends on what you are planning channel wise and lights wise, and what effects you are using.

The LED Flexstrips need pretty hefty processing to add the effects in the LSP sequencer, expecially some of the newer Macros

If you are shooting for say 3000 channels and above of LED Flexstrip/smart string then I'd advise to go for a higher end machine e.g.
i7 Quad Core, dedicated graphics, Win 7 64 bit and 8-16 Gig RAM

If it's say upto a 1000 channels LED Flexstrip/smart string then I'd advise to go for a Mid-range machine e.g.
i5 Dual core, dedicated graphics, Win 7 64 bit and 4-8 Gig RAM

If it doesn't have LED Flexstrip/smart string and it say a couple of hundred channels, then a lower end machine might surfice.

Offline mitch09

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, »
Thanks for the help. My 2007 MacBook Pro does the job, just not quite as quickly as I would like it. I definitely don't want another desktop as I have one that I could use. The convenience of sequencing on the couch is just too much to resist. I am looking on eBay at a Dell or HP that is a quad core AMD A6-3400 with 8GB of memory. I am running about 1100 channels including 6 SSC and 3 DSC.  I experience a little lag when sequencing these on my MacBook but nothing too terrible. Do you think the AMD quad core will give me a better experience?

Ryan

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, »
I'm sure you are going to grow your channel count in later years, so if you are going to invest, buy the fastest machine you can afford. I haven't looked at the difference between AMD v Intel Quad cores, but I'm assuming they would bother be in the same ballpark.
I have found that the Quad Core really helps when sequencing, since the faster machine "writes" the effects in the sequencer when you are programming your sequence and it will speed up the process.