Author Topic: ED for DUMMIES  (Read 5796 times)

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
Re: ED for DUMMIES
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, »
Hi Pete,

In looking at your pictures, I've circled an area that looks suspect. Look under magnification and make sure there is separation of these legs with the adjacent pad, in the picture they look close. Soldering on the rest looks good.

Offline Pete

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, »
Thank you b476 -

I checked the area under 10x magnification and it looks good - also did a back light check and there is separation of the legs.

Thanks for helping.

Pete

Offline Pete

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, »
I don't know if this is a problem . . . . screen shot of network sharing center:

Thanks - Pete

Offline tbone321

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, »
You need to assign the port a static address.  It really doesn't matter which one that you give it becasue it will be sending multi-cast addressing out of it but many OS's will not send anything to an Ethernet port that does not have a valid IP address, multicast or not.  Give it an address like 192.168.1.225  That address shouldn't interfere with anything and enable the Ehternet port.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Pete

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, »
Thank you tbone -

I entered an ip address as you recommended - thank goodness for google and "howtogeek.com"
The error in set up went away - but still it doesn't work.  :( [size=78%] [/size]Here is the screen shot.  I will keep reading and see if I can get lucky and get the right combination to make these things work.
Thanks again

Offline tbone321

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, »
That error is normal.  You shouldn't be able to see the internet with a direct connection to the Ehterdongle.  Is the data light (yellow) flashing when connected to the dongle?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Pete

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, »
Yes

Offline Pete

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, »
Here is what I have now and I am totally confused . . .

1. ED flashed for DMX (and reflashed using Pickit 3)
2. LE set up for universe 1
3. Using combiner
4. Using X-lights test mode
5. Data link led is on

With a test input from X-lights to the ED - on the magjack the green light is on steady the yellow flashes occasionally.  The combiner on hooked up on 2 I get a fast pattern of output lights on all 16 channels. . . looks like a repeating pattern.
This input does not change whether I choose channels on or off nor does it change when any of the test patterns are selected. Even with all lights off I get this pattern.

If I hook up the LE directly to the ED I have the Data link led on and no output - even using any software.

I get this same output with no software running.

I am getting an output from the ED but not what is expected.   Could the ED have a (or more) bad components) on it?

Thanks,
Pete

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
ED for DUMMIES
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, »
You should have the output of the etherdongle going to the combiner pixelnet output and then the le connected to IN #1

Rick R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Pete

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, »
Correct - input to combiner is Pixelnet in

On #1 I get no activity

On #2 I get the strange activity

Pete

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, »
Could you post a picture with the backlight on both of the chips?  I had one that didn't look bridged but looked almost fuzzy, and its on the way to the doctor currently. :)  My second EtD was also having problems, but I was able to reflow one side of the small chip (with a lot pen flux and a quick solder sucker to fix the bridge I caused). It went to working immediately. 

The way mine appears to work is that if the green light on the magjack comes on then you have a link to whatever you are connected to.  Once you turn on your E1.31 output then the yellow goes solid where it only randomly blinked before.  It sounds like you are close but the pic isn't recognizing the broadcast data.  I would think the most likely cause would be an improperly flashed PIC, but it sounds like you have programmed it several times with not much different results.  The next most likely cause would be a bridge on the Comm chip or the PIC which is grounding or sending the data to an unintended location which may be why universe 2 is acting strange.

Also have you checked the voltages on the 8 and 50MHz clocks?  There was a post around here recently that had the voltages and a link to the spec sheet that showed what the pin numbers where.  I would imagine either of those failing would also cause odd behavior. 

Edit Found it.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  See Caretakers post towards the bottom of page 1.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, by TAdamsOK »

Offline Pete

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, »
I am currently at work, I will post the photos in the AM, make the checks and post the results.

Thank you so much,
Pete

Offline Pete

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Could you post a picture with the backlight on both of the chips?  I had one that didn't look bridged but looked almost fuzzy, and its on the way to the doctor currently. :)  My second EtD was also having problems, but I was able to reflow one side of the small chip (with a lot pen flux and a quick solder sucker to fix the bridge I caused). It went to working immediately. 

The way mine appears to work is that if the green light on the magjack comes on then you have a link to whatever you are connected to.  Once you turn on your E1.31 output then the yellow goes solid where it only randomly blinked before.  It sounds like you are close but the pic isn't recognizing the broadcast data.  I would think the most likely cause would be an improperly flashed PIC, but it sounds like you have programmed it several times with not much different results.  The next most likely cause would be a bridge on the Comm chip or the PIC which is grounding or sending the data to an unintended location which may be why universe 2 is acting strange.

Also have you checked the voltages on the 8 and 50MHz clocks?  There was a post around here recently that had the voltages and a link to the spec sheet that showed what the pin numbers where.  I would imagine either of those failing would also cause odd behavior. 

Edit Found it.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  See Caretakers post towards the bottom of page 1.

Hi
Here are the voltages (2 ED's) ant the back lite photos.

Thank you,
Pete

Clock voltages:
4-5 = 1.5 & 1.6 vdc
4-8 = 3.1 & 3.2 vdc

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, »
Looks like the bridge trace is missing on pins 35/36 on the small chip on the pixelnet dongle (last photo).

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, »
Looks like someone fixed it.

That bridge that you removed was a trace and those pins need to be connected back together. I bet that is your problem. I will pm you.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying