Author Topic: all red  (Read 9927 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: all red
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Any way to test the led before hook up so it could be returned in need be?
You would have to look at it's datasheet on mouser.  I've sure like with any LED, the different colors have different power requirements.

Could one test it with 12vac or would that be bad? 
I would not place 12AC directly on any led.

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2012, »
As Chris said, it is not a good idea to place 12VAC directly on the leads of the diode.  Even 12VDC is not a good idea either.  Without current limiting devices also added to the mix, the LED would act like a short and blow itself out.  AC is even worse.  LED's don't have the level of reverse voltage blocking that power doides do which means that if the reverse voltag was exceeded, they would begin to.  LED's also have a reverse conduction capability of next to nothing so if they begn to conduct in reverse bios, they will simply blow out.  Not exactly the experiment you want to do with a $40 dollar part.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2012, »
here are the voltages 7 V, 12.6 V, 10.5 V, 10.5 V DC I do not have the voltages for each pins

Offline zwiller

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2012, »
Is there a way to calculate something (resistance?) based on these voltages so there is a way to test it without magic smoke?  Or can we assume all these led's tested OK at factory and the problems other members had with the led are from installation mistakes?  Or could it actually be a bad part that cost $40?

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2012, »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2012, »
here are the voltages 7 V, 12.6 V, 10.5 V, 10.5 V DC I do not have the voltages for each pins

Voltage is a secondary thing (to a point) for an LED.  The critical factor is the current.  The drivers on each circuit are controlling the current being passed thru the LED.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2012, »
Is there a way to calculate something (resistance?) based on these voltages so there is a way to test it without magic smoke?  Or can we assume all these led's tested OK at factory and the problems other members had with the led are from installation mistakes?  Or could it actually be a bad part that cost $40?

I wouldn't worry to much about it yet.  With all of the units ordered, this is the first instance of this problem being reported.  I doubt that they test every one on them but LED's tend to work unless there is an issue in their manufacture.  Perhaps the coop manager can see what the return policy for that part is or tell us where they were bought from so that those with a problem can see what the return policy is if one exists.

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2012, »
i just realized that the LED module cost is more than half the total price of aether.  hopefully, there is a return policy (cross finger).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, by salongaopm »

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2012, »
I checked with Mouser and it is past their 90 day warranty period.  They were not excited about replacing a $40 part on a $14,000 order...go figure.  The only other suggestion I have is to contact the manufacturer directly @ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login .  The part number is 897-LZCA3MD00.  Sorry I don't have better news. 

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2012, »
thanks Keith.