Author Topic: Fixed - Little Green LED on the ED goes out when I connect the CAT5 input  (Read 1748 times)

Offline JonB256

• My website
Just now testing my ED. Flashed for DMX. (verify was good)

I have xLights outputting data to 4 Multicast Universes. Wireshark shows four universes of data being sent (239.255.0.1 and 2 and 3 and 4) by xLights.

When I connect the ED to my ethernet switch, the MagJack flashes a few time like it is trying to sync up with the incoming data, and then lights up the yellow and green lights. The green LED on the ED is on until it syncs, then it goes off and stays off. It comes back on when I unplug the ethernet cable.

As I vary the output from light to heavy in xLights, the yellow light flickers faster or slower as I think it should. The green MagJack light goes solid.

But - I get no blinky on the connected Lynx Express (it is flashed for DMX). The Data Link light on the LE is on solid. but no blinky.

The small Green LED on the ED goes OFF as soon as the Ethernet / Multicast synchronizes.
Unplug the CAT5, that LED comes back on. Is that normal?

I'll test some more tonight. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

This is very similar to sabie's post: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
except that green light on my ED is going OFF as soon as the MagJack makes its Multicast connection. I'm also getting indication that DMX is being received by the LE but no blinky.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, by JonB256 »

Offline TAdamsOK

I would start off by making sure there are no bridges in your solder joints and make sure there are no cold solder joints on the magjack.  Have you reflowed them yet?

Maybe good close up pictures as well will help get an idea and let a fresh set of eyes double check for the obvious errors which are so hard to spot on your own work for some reason.

Offline JonB256

• My website
Fixed ! There was excess solder on the ethernet chip. Took two tries with some flux, a narrow, super clean tip and lots of back light.

All 4 universes are controlling perfectly in DMX. Will try Pixelnet later but expect no problems.

A search for "solder bridges" in the EtherDongle topic led me to similar problems and fixes. My eyes are getting too old for this.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Mimir

Congratulations on getting it fixed!

Sent from my Motorola Atrix2 via Tapatalk 2